Martinsyde A.D.C.1 / Nimbus
Martinsyde - A.D.C.1 / Nimbus - 1924 - Великобритания
Страна: Великобритания
Год: 1924

Martinsyde. Серия F
Flight, November 1924
Flight, June 1926
Flight, July 1928

Martinsyde. Серия F


  A.D.C.1: вариант, разработанный компанией "Aircraft Disposal Company" после ликвидации "Martinsyde" в 1921 году; отличался главным образом мотором Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar мощностью 395 л.с.
  Nimbus Martinsyde: один самолет, конвертированный "A.D.C." под установку мотора A.D.C. Nimbus мощностью 300 л. с.

Flight, November 1924

380 H.P. Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar" Engine

  SOME months ago, it may be remembered, we announced that the stores, stocks, and goodwill of the Martinsyde Co., of Woking, had been taken over by the Aircraft Disposal Co., and that, in consequence, it might be expected that when the firm made a start with original designs, these would follow somewhat on the lines of the famous Martinsyde machines, or that, at any rate, the "Tinsides" would form a basis on which to commence to develop Aircraft Disposal Co. types. Some time ago the services of Mr. John Kenworthy, as chief designer, were secured by the A.D.C., and the first result of this collaboration has now materialized in the form of a single-seater fighter with Armstrong-Siddeley “Jaguar" engine. The new machine will be known as the Martinsyde A.D.C.1, and, although its initial tests have not yet been completed, there is justification for stating that the performance is extremely good and that the "Disposalsyde," as a wag has nicknamed it, would be a very useful addition to the fighting equipment of any country.
  True to the original intentions of the Aircraft Disposal Co., the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 has retained some of the features of the familiar Martinsyde F.4. Thus, the rear portion of the fuselage is identical with that of the F.4, and the same applies to the main planes. At present the undercarriage is also of normal type, but it is likely that on subsequent machines this may be replaced by an oleo undercarriage. The whole front portion of the fuselage has been re-designed, not only on account of the installation of a different engine, but also for reasons connected with petrol tank position, machine-gun installation, etc. The result has certainly been the production of an extremely business-like looking machine, and when we state that the top speed is already somewhat over 160 miles per hour, and the average climb to 10,000 ft. accomplished in about 4 m. 50 s., it will be realised that the performance bears out the impression given by the lines of the machine. It might be added that these figures are not necessarily final, as some testing and experimenting with various propellers is still to be carried out, but even as they stand the figures are extremely good. We have no figures relating to the landing speed, but the impression gained while watching the machine flying is that the landing speed is very low. Mr. Kenworthy informs us that according to performance estimates the machine should land at somewhat less than 50 miles per hour, so that a speed range of 50 to 160 miles per hour must be regarded as distinctly good.
  The general lines and lay-out of the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 will be clear from the accompanying photographs and scale drawings. The machine is a normal staggered tractor biplane, with the pilot's cockpit so placed in relation to the wings as to give a good view in all directions. The fuselage is, as regards its rear portion, a spruce girder braced by tie-rods, while the front portion has ply-wood covered sides. The pilot's "office" is provided with a particularly complete set of instruments, and the two Vickers' machine-guns are conveniently placed, and are, needless to say, fitted with Constantinesco gun gear. Two sliding doors in the deck fairing, ahead of the wind-screen, give access to the gun mechanism, as indicated in a sketch, and the high deck fairing with its straight tumble-home sides affords ample room for mounting the guns without crowding. Steel guards are fitted between the guns and the top of the petrol tank.
  A particularly neat mounting has been designed for the Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar." This is in the form of a tubular structure of simple design, attached at the back the fireproof bulkhead and in front to a pressed-steel engine frame. The usual "Jaguar" cupped steel support has been retained, and to this is bolted the pressed-steel frame. For dismantling the engine it is only necessary to undo the four corner bolts, and, of course, the various engine and fuel connections, and the whole engine can be lifted out complete with its plate. The fireproof bulkhead is built up of two outer layers of aluminium sandwiched in between which is an asbestos sheet. The various engine controls, etc., are taken through the bulkhead in long sleeves, so that there is no risk of any fire in the engine compartment getting past the bulkhead.
  Direct gravity feed is provided, the petrol tank, which has a capacity of 55 gallons, being mounted under the deck fairing, immediately aft of the fireproof bulkhead. From the diagram of the petrol system it will be seen that with the shape of tank adopted, and the placing so close to the engine, there will be a considerable "head" of petrol even when the machine is climbing at a very steep angle. For starting, a second petrol pipe with primer pump and cock in the cockpit are provided, and when we visited Waddon last week to see the machine fly the engine started up with remarkable ease. The petrol tank is provided with a level gauge marked with large figures which can be easily read from the cockpit. The capacity of 55 gallons is sufficient for slightly more than two hours at full throttle, so that the range of the machine may be said to be at least 300 miles. All engine controls, as already stated, pass through long guides or leads in the fireproof bulkhead so as to reduce fire risk. The engine controls are operated by push-and-pull rods, and an interlocking arrangement is provided whereby the altitude control is automatically shut when the throttle is closed.
  The oil tank, which has a capacity of 4 1/2 gallons, is mounted below the floor of the fuselage, and by a special system of baffles inside the tank, the hot oil is made to circulate forward and backward over the bottom of the tank, which, being exposed to the air, serves to cool the oil. A thermometer is fitted in the oil tank, with an indicator dial in the cockpit. All petrol and oil pipes are of large bore, and are fitted with the R.A.E. metallic coupling in place of the usual rubber tube joints. A spinner over the propeller boss, faired by a ring of aluminium, fixed to the engine, streamlines the forward portion of the "Jaguar" engine, leaving just sufficient of the cylinder heads exposed to ensure adequate cooling. The main dimensions of the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 are given on the general arrangement drawings on p. 743. The item weights are as follow :- Engine, 780 lbs. (355 kgs.); propeller and spinner, 41 lbs. (18-6 kgs.); engine cowling and fireproof bulkhead, 30 lbs. (13-6 kgs.); instruments and fittings, 20 lbs. (9-1 kgs.); fabric covering of wings, fuselage and tail units, 62 lbs. (28-2 kgs.); tanks, pipes and filters, 85 lbs. (38-6 kgs.); aeroplane structure, 850 lbs (386 kgs.); fuel, 390 lbs. (177 kgs.); oil, 42 lbs. (19-1 kgs.) pilot, 170 lbs. (77 kgs.); two Vickers' machine-guns, 66 lbs (30 kgs.); ammunition (1,200 rounds 0-303) 86 lbs. (39 kgs.) oxygen apparatus, 28 lbs. (12-7 kgs.). Total loaded weight 2,650 lbs. (1,200 kgs.). Power loading (on 380 h.p.), 7 lbs./h.p (3-17 kgs./h.p.). Wing loading, 8-28 lbs./sq. ft. (40.5 kgs./sq. m.).

Flight, June 1926

The "Nimbus-Martinsyde"

  RECENTLY yet another has been added to the list of machines modified by A.D.C. Aircraft, Ltd., so as to bring them up to date. This time, as before, Mr. John Kenworthy, the firm's chief designer, has chosen as his basis, so to speak, the good old Martinsyde F.4 (it will be recollected that some years ago A.D.C. Aircraft, Ltd., took over the goodwill of the Martinsyde firm), and has designed for it a new "nose" to take the A.D.C. "Nimbus" engine recently developed and re-designed by Major Halford from the original Siddeley "Puma," and which has now passed the British Air Ministry's type tests. The resulting combination is highly pleasing to the eye, as will be seen from the photographs of the machine on the ground and in the air which appear on pp. 315 and 317. Mr. Kenworthy has designed a remarkably "clean" engine housing and cowling, and with the retractable radiator under the fuselage, the air flow round the nose promises to be particularly undisturbed. Preliminary test flights seem to indicate that this desirable state has been attained, as the machine certainly gives the impression of being extremely fast, and with an excellent climb. Performance figures are not yet available, as the machine has but recently been finished and there has been no opportunity for thorough tests, but Mr. H. H. Perry, the firm's chief test pilot, reports very favourably on the machine, which, incidentally, is to be known as the "Nimbus-Martinsyde," and on a recent visit to Waddon, when we had an opportunity of watching it in flight, the new machine certainly gave an extremely favourable impression.
  At the moment we are not permitted to give a detailed description of the "Nimbus-Martinsyde." This must be reserved for a future occasion, but the accompanying illustrations should speak for themselves, although they cannot, of course, give any indication of the speed and climb of the machine.
  It is believed that there is a very strong probability of the "Nimbus-Martinsyde" taking part in the King's Cup race, and as all aeroplanes taking part in this race are to be handicapped according to the new Royal Aero Club formula (based upon wing loading and power loading only), there should then be an excellent opportunity of determining whether or not the "clean" lines of the machine make a marked difference to the speed. Personally, we believe it will be found that this new machine will do well in the race, but this time alone can show. Incidentally, the "Nimbus" engine will also then have its first opportunity of taking part in a great race, so that from all points of view the behavior of the "Nimbus-Martinsyde" in the race will be watched with interest.

Flight, July 1928


One A.D.C. "Nimbus" Engine

  ORIGINALLY designed by the now defunct Martin and Handasyde Company, the "Nimbus-Martinsyde" is a modification by A. D. C. Aircraft, Ltd., who hold stocks of a number of Martinsyde F.4 biplanes and who, moreover, have purchased the goodwill of the Martinsyde company. The "Nimbus-Martinsyde" remains an F.4 in almost all respects, except that the nose has been re-designed to take the A.D.C. "Nimbus" engine produced a few years ago. The Martinsyde biplanes were ever known for their excellent qualities, aerodynamic and structural, and the present machine has maintained that reputation. As a single-seater fighter, it is a very useful machine, and for service in countries where it is not essential that all-metal construction should be used, this machine offers a low-priced low-powered supply with good performance for the small power used.
  Fuselage. - Of wood construction, simple and cheap to maintain and repair, the fuselage is of good streamline shape as evidenced by the performance of the machine. The top centre-section is placed low over the cockpit, so that the pilot obtains a good view past the top plane. The two Vickers guns are placed one on each side, and provided with the usual interrupter gear. The aircraft controls are of normal type, and the machine is very manoeuvrable and light on the controls.
  Wings. - Of standard two-spar construction, with spruce spars spindled out to an I-section, and light wooden ribs, the whole covered with fabric. The top centre-section is supported on a cabane of four wire-braced wooden struts, while the two halves of the lower wing are attached direct to the fuselage.
  Tail. - Of wood construction, fabric covered. The tail surfaces are of generous area, and the controls are very effective. The tail plane is braced downwards by one strut and one wire on each side, and on top by wires to the fin post.
  Engine Installation. - The 300/330 h.p. A.D.C. "Nimbus" engine is extremely neatly cowied-in and faired into the lines of the fuselage, thereby contributing materially to the low drag of the machine. The radiator is mounted behind and below the engine.
  Undercarriage. - Of simple two-wheeled Vee type, with axle running across and springing provided by easily-renewable rubber cords.
Entered by Col. M. O. Darby, the Airdisco Martinsyde "A.D.C.I," which will be piloted by Sqdn.-Ldr. W.H. Longton, is fitted with a Siddeley "Jaguar" engine of 395 h.p.
THE MARTINSYDE A.D.C.1: Front view. The engine is an Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguar."
FOREIGN INTEREST IN THE MARTINSYDE A.D.C.1: The photograph was taken on the occasion of a demonstration of the successful and latest production of the Aircraft Disposal Co at Waddon. The group reading from left to right, includes Maj. J. Stewart (Sales Manager of the A.D.C.), Col..M. O. Darby (Managing Director), Capt. T. Toyoda (Japanese Naval Attache), Capt. Cortijo (Spanish Royal Naval Commission), Lieut.-Comdr. Kato (Imperial Japanese Navy), and Capt. Square (Spanish representative of the A.D.C.).
AN A.D.C. GROUP: Mr. Perry, Major Stewart and Capt. Walker, standing by the A.D.C.l, on which Perry and Longton gave exhibition flights.
INTERESTING VISITORS AT WADDON: On July 20 distinguished visitors from foreign parts inspected the Martinsyde-Jaguar ADC.l machine at the Aircraft Disposal Company's works at Waddon. The group shown above, standing in front of the ADC.l are, from left to right: Maj. J. Stewart (A.D.C., Ltd., Sales Manager); Maj. Sarmento de Beires of the Portuguese Military Aviation Service, Who flew from Lisbon to Macao last year; Comdr. R. Fitz-Simon, of the Argentine Naval Air Service; and Capt. Walker (A.D.C., Ltd., Works Manager).
THE KING'S CUP: Some of the first day's starters. W.H. Longton's A.D.C. Martinsyde hurrying to the line.
SOME OF THE LARGER MACHINES AT LYMPNE: From left to right, the Avro-Lynx, Bristol "Lucifer," Bristol "Bloodhound," S.E.5, Sopwith "Gnu," A.D.C.l, and a sky-writing S.E.5.
THIRD IN THE KING'S CUP RACE: Two views of the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 (Siddeley "Jaguar") completing two of his early laps.
ENTERTAINER: Perry on the Martinsyde A.D.C.l.
Two of the A.D.C.1 derivatives of the Buzzard supplied to Latvia in 1926
The Martinsyde A.D.C.1: View of engine mounting, etc. This photograph was taken before covering.
A BROADSIDE: Mr. H. H. Perry flying the A.D.C. "Nimbus-Martinsyde" at Croydon aerodrome. The neat engine cowling is well illustrated in this view.
THE A.D.C. "Nimbus-Martinsyde": These three views of the machine flying, piloted by Mr. H. H. Perry, serve to show the clean lines, especially the front view, the taking of which required considerable nerve on the part of the photographer, as the machine was approaching him "all-out." Mr. Perry "zoomed" about one second after this picture was taken.
A POSSIBLE "KING'S CUPPER": A.D.C. Aircraft, Ltd., have just produced this version of the Martinsyde F.4, fitted with the "Nimbus" engine designed by Major Halford. The conversion has been designed by Mr. John Kenworthy, who has managed to turn out an extremely "clean" machine, which should be useful for advanced training.
The A.D.C. Nimbus version of the Buzzard which progressed no further than the prototype stage.
"THE HEAVENLY TWINS": The two Nimbus Martinsydes, piloted by Capt. F. T. Courtney (G-EBOL) and H. H. Perry (G-EBOJ) start off together on the first lap of the King's Cup Race at Hendon on Friday.
THE LANCASHIRE AIR PAGEANT: Captain Courtney on the A.D.C. Nimbus-Martinsyde starts scratch in the Open Handicap.
THE NOTTINGHAM FLYING MEETING: The winner of the High Power Handicap - Sqdn.-Leader Hubert Jones on the "Boreas-Nimbus-Martinsyde."
REPRESENTATIVE TYPES OF BRITISH AIRCRAFT: 4. The A.D.C. "Nimbus-Martinsyde" single-seater fighter.
"AND THEN THERE WAS NONE": Much disappointment was felt generally at the bad luck experienced by the two Nimbus Martinsydes in the King's Cup Race. Above is seen H. H. Perry banking on one of these 'buses, and inset, Col. Bristow gives him correct B.S.T.
AT HAMBLE: In the picture are the machines lined up for the important Morris Open Handicap, and the nearest machine is Cant. Stack's Martinsyde-Nimbus, which won it at a speed of 129 3/4 m.p.h.
The Martinsyde A.D.C.1: View from above showing cockpit, guns, etc.
The machine-guns on the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 are very accessible. This sketch shows how the two sliding doors on the deck fairing allow of getting at the gun mechanism. The port chute for the empty cartridges can also be seen.
The simple gravity petrol system of the Martinsyde A.D.C.1. The upper pipe is for priming, and conducts petrol to the induction system of the engine.
Perspective sketch of the tubular engine mounting of the MartinSyde A.D.C.1: The "Jaguar" engine can be removed from the machine by undoing the four corner bolts.
Martinsyde A.D.C.1 Single Seater Fighter 380 hp. Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar" Engine