Flight 1926-07
Flight
The Sopwith "Snipe," 200 h.p. B.R.2 (No. 6), flown by Lieut. Longton in the Aerial Derby
The Sopwith "Snipe" (B.R.2 Rotary) Of the types of aircraft in use at the end of the war, quite a number have been retained. In many cases this has necessitated "reconditioning" the machines which had been kept in stores for several years, and among the types that have been reconditioned, as well as built de novo, is the Sopwith "Snipe," a single-seater fighter with rotary engine. The introduction of more powerful radial air-cooled engines has rendered the rotary obsolete. Thus the "Snipe" is now about to disappear altogether. The only squadrons still equipped with it are: No. 1 (Fighter) Squadron, Kenley, and No. 43 (Fighter) Squadron, Henlow.
THE FIRST R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1920: The five Sopwith Snipes shown were responsible for a very beautiful display of aerobatics in formation, in which they performed numerous evolutions in perfect unison.
THE THIRD R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1922 : A much-appreciated event on this year's programme was "bombing a tank" by four Sopwith Snipes, in which the "bombs" were clearly visible during their fall and subsequent hit.
"A DRESS REHEARSAL": Some D.H.9a's of No.39 Bombing Squadron carrying out evolutions over Hendon. Note the formation of Fairey "Fawns" in the left-hand corner of the top picture.
THE FOURTH R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1923: A distinct advance was seen in this year's formation flying, both in quantity and quality. Ten D.H.9a's from No. 39 Squadron (Spittlegate) execute some close evolutions.
THE FIFTH R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1924: The most thrilling event of all those presented up to this fifth year was certainly the demonstration of air drill given by two Squadrons (Nos. 39 and 207) of D.H.9a's, 18 machines in all, a slight impression of which is shown.
MORE GROUP EVOLUTIONS: These were carried out by two Wings of two day-bombing squadrons (Nos .11 and 12, Fairey Fawns, and Nos. 39 and 207, D.H. 9As). In the top view the four squadrons flying together, and below, flying towards one another.
A FINE FORMATION: Were each of the two day-bombing squadrons, in "Squadron" formation, pass over each other and produce a wonderful pattern.
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: During the afternoon the four Fairey IIID biplanes, piloted by Wing-Corn. Pulford and his companions, recently back from their Cairo-Cape-Cairo flight flew over the aerodrome and saluted the Royal Enclosure.
U.S. AIR MAIL SERVICES. C.A.M. NO.4: One of six Douglas M.2 mail 'planes employed by the Western Air Express, Inc., on the Salt Lake City to Los Angeles route.
AN EXTRA TURN AT THE KING'S CUP RACE: An S.E.5 (Savage Sky-Writing) and a Bristol "Bloodhound" put up some smart banking during the impromptu race at Hendon last Saturday.
THE FOURTH R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1923: Five S.E.5a's gave a wonderful display of simultaneous stunting, such as looping in V-formation, as shown above on the left, and zooming in close formation.
THE FIRST R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1920: Perhaps the most impressive event of the first year's programme was when a flight of five Bristol Fighters gave a demonstration of trench bombing, as depicted above. Flying in formation, the five machines swooped down on to the trench, firing their machine guns, and then releasing their bombs with realistic effect.
"SET PIECES" AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAYS: At each of the previous "Pageants" and Display a grand finale was given in which some episode relating to aerial warfare was realistically enacted, viz. :- (1) 1922, Bristol bombers bombing the enemy village of "Scrapper Plain."
THE SECOND R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1921: On this occasion the lighter-than-air side service flying was represented by the rigid airship R.33, which cruised overhead throughout the afternoon's programme and also assisted in controlling (by wireless) the traffic to and from the aerodrome. Our picture shows the R.33 and a formation of Bristol Fighters.
THE THIRD R.A.F. "PAGEANT," 1922: Some fine formation flying was executed by No. 24 Squadron (Kenley) on Bristol Fighters, their take-off in formation (shown right) creating much enthusiasm.
"ARMY CO-OP.": One of the Bristol Fighters (School of Army Co-operation) which took part in the Message-picking-up competition.
FOREIGN AIR ATTACHES AT CROYDON: This group, standing in front of the Avro "Gosport,'' includes, from left to right: Mr. John Lord (Avros), Sqdn.-Ldr. Kenny, Mr. Vladimirov, a representative of Brazil, Comdr. Floriose, Maj. Kennedy, Maj. Scott, Mr. Headley Thompson, Mr. Toll, Mr. Segrave, and Engineer Kunugi. In the cockpit, Mr. Bert Hinkler.
THE LATEST VERSION: These two views show the Avro "Gosport" in flight, piloted by Mr. Bert Hinkler. This training machine was demonstrated, on July 14, before a number of foreign Air Attaches at Croydon Aerodrome, and created a very favourable impression. Like the standard 504, the "Gosport" is very easy to fly, and at the same time it is very manoeuvrable.
HINKLER'S BANK: The Avro "Gosport" was demonstrated at Croydon on Wednesday of last week before a number of foreign air attaches.
THE ARMSTRONG-WHITWORTH "ARGOSY": Three-quarter front view of the latest 20-passenger commercial aeroplane. The port wing engine is hidden by the nose of the fuselage. The engines are Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguars."
THE ARMSTRONG-WHITWORTH "ARGOSY": Front view, from which the arrangement of the three Siddeley "Jaguar" engines may be seen.
Armstrong Whitworth "Argosy" (Three Armstrong-Siddeley "Jaguars") But for the fact that there is not a great deal of difference between a civilian passenger aeroplane and a service troop carrier, it would be somewhat curious to see, in what is a purely Service Display, a commercial aeroplane. Doubtless it is for that reason that the Armstrong Whitworth "Argosy" is one of the machines which will take part in the "Fly-past." As the "Argosy" is illustrated and described in some detail elsewhere in this issue, there is little need to do other here than to state that the machine, is the only three-engined aeroplane in the Display.
Armstrong-Whitworth "Argosy" 3 Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar" Engines
THE "MIDLAND MOTH": Capt. W. J. McDonough and the green D.H. "Moth" entered by Maj. Gilbert Dennison (Midland Aero Club). McDonough put up a plucky fight, and stuck it to the bitter end.
THE WINNER OF THE FIFTH KING'S CUP RACE: Capt. H. S. Broad takes off on the white and red D.H. "Moth" at the start on Friday. Inset, the "Moth" is shown "Crossing the line" at the finish on Saturday.
"Designer, Entrant, and Pilot, too!": Capt. G. de Havilland not only entered one of his "Moths" for the King's Cup Race, but flew it himself. This machine had a new "Cirrus II" engine, and Capt. de Havilland was making excellent progress until forced out of the race by a very minor defect - a broken oil pipe.
The King's Cup: The D.H."Moth," 27-60 h.p. "Cirrus" I and II. Five of these machines are entered.
THE FIFTH KING'S CUP AIR RACE: Three of the five D.H. "Moths" are shown, in the bottom picture, lined up for the start on Friday, and above Hope, Broad and Sparks are seen taking off together on their respective "Moths."
WHEN "SPARKS" FLY: Capt. F. G. M. Sparks and the brown D.H. "Moth" entered by the Duke of Sutherland (London Aeroplane Club) for the Fifth King's Cup Race.
STAG LANE AERO GARAGE: Above are three photographs showing the service afforded to private aeroplane owners. On the left we see Mrs. Eliott-Lynn's "Moth" emerging from the cocoon; above, unfolding its wings; and on the right feeding it with "milk and honey," i.e., "Shell"
The Vickers "Vespa" (Bristol "Jupiter") Reference has already been made to three of the four new Army cooperation machines taking part in the "Fly-past." The fourth is the "Vespa" designed by Mr. Rex Pierson and built by Vickers, Limited. The ability to fly very slowly is a desirable feature in an Army co-operation machine, and it will be seen that the "Vespa" has a large wing area. A somewhat unusual feature of the design is that the fuselage does not rest on the bottom plane, as is usually the case, a gap being left between the fuselage and the lower wing. The fuselage is of relatively small cross-sectional area, and the biplane wings are of unequal span and chord.
AVp2: Whether or not the name "Avenger" has anything to do with it is not known. In looking at this machine it is somewhat difficult to realise that it is a single-seater fighter and not a racer, so clean are the lines and so carefully is the equipment tucked away. The Lamblin radiators under the top 'plane should not offer much more head resistance than the wing type of radiator which follows the contour of the wing section. The careful cowling of the special Napier direct-drive "Lion" should be noted. The fuselage is of monocoque construction.
AERIAL VISITORS FROM FRANCE: In the 1924 "Pageant" a French Escadrille of five Nieuport-Delage 29.C.1 "avions de chasse" flew over from France and took part in the programme.
The "Autogiro" (130 h.p. Clerget) The invention of a Spanish engineer, Senor de la Cierva, the "Autogiro," which will be seen at Hendon has been constructed in this country by A. V. Roe & Co., it being perhaps significant that Mr. A. V. Roe, one of the earliest pioneers of British aviation should pioneer a modern venture. The "Autogiro" has a rotating windmill in place of wings, and differs from the helicopter in that the lifting surfaces are not driven directly by the engine but by the air forces acting upon them. Propulsion is by an ordinary airscrew. At present the "windmill" is hand started but later mechanical starting will be fitted.
ROYALTY INSPECTS THE MACHINE PARK AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: The centre of interest is the Autogyro. In this group will be seen the King and Queen, King Alfonso and the Queen of Spain, the Duke of York, Sir Geoffrey Salmond, Sir Hugh Trenchard and Sen. Cierva.
AS HARD TO BELIEVE AS ITS NAMESAKE: The Hill "Pterodactyl" trying its hardest, but without success, to stall.
The Hill "Pterodactyl" (Bristol "Cherub") The tail-less machine is no novelty, Colonel Dunne having produced aeroplanes of this type in the very earliest days of flying, but in the "Pterodactyl" Capt. G. T. R. Hill has incorporated, in addition to the "tailless" feature, the modern knowledge of aerodynamics, with the result that his machine is freed from the bugbear of aviation, "stalling," as well as possessing other important features. The tips of the backswept wings are pivoted and act as elevators and ailerons, while separate rudders project below each wing. The tailless machine appears to promise the possibility of a return to the "pusher" (i.e., engine-behind) type without loss of efficiency.
THE R.A.F. DISPLAY AT HENDON: The Seventh Display beat all previous records as regards the number of spectators (and their motor cars) present, as may be seen here.
The Fairey "Firefly" (Fairey "Felix") With its fuselage of streamline form and small cross-sectional area, its wing radiators and its very simple undercarriage, the Fairey "Firefly" is a single-seater fighter of quite exceptionally "clean" lines, and will be sure to create an excellent impression at Hendon where, like the other three machines of this class, it will be seen in public for the first time. The small overall width of the engine and the absence of a nose radiator enables the front portion of the fuselage to be practically free of "bulges," thus saving head resistance, while the "lines" of the nose are carried to a point by •a small spinner over the boss of the Fairey-Reed Duralumin pro-•peller.--
JUNKERS AT WARNEMUNDE: The machine shown in the lower right-hand corner is the type W.33, which has a 300 h.p. Junkers L.5 engine. Above is a photograph of the type W.34, similar to the W.33 except that it has a Bristol "Jupiter" engine. On the left is shown the nose of the W.34, illustrating the mounting of the "Jupiter." Note the Reed metal airscrew.
The Hawker "Horsley." (Rolls-Royce "Condor") Although a day bomber like the Fairey "Fox," the Hawker "Horsley," is a vastly different type of machine. To begin with, it has a 700 h.p. Rolls-Royce "Condor" instead of the 430 h.p. of the "Felix," and secondly it has the usual excrescences upon which, apparently, the Air Ministry insists, or insisted until Mr. Fairey produced the "Fox." Also it is a very much larger machine than the "Fox." For all that, the "Horsley" has proved itself a very fine machine, and the internal arrangement of all the paraphernalia is something to be wondered at. The "Horsley" has now gone into quantity production.
The Avro "Ava" (Two Rolls-Royce "Condors") The most powerful machine to be seen at Hendon will be the new Avro "Ava," which is a twin-engined coastal defence torpedo aircraft fitted with two Rolls-Royce "Condor" engines of 670 h.p. each, so that the total power is 1,340 h.p. The machine is designed for very long range, and there are dual controls for two pilots sitting side by side. The usual gunner's cockpits are provided. The divided undercarriage allows of carrying a torpedo, but the machine has alternative arrangements for carrying bombs. Owing to the large span of the wings, these are made to fold back when the machine can be housed in an ordinary hangar.
"SET PIECES" AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAYS: At each of the previous "Pageants" and Display a grand finale was given in which some episode relating to aerial warfare was realistically enacted, viz. :- (4) 1924, the Raider raided. The enemy merchant cruiser "Selvic" is caught in the act of holding up the "John Henry," of Newcastle, and is eventually sent to Davy Jones by a flight of Blackburne "Dart" torpedo 'planes.
The Blackburn "Sprat" (Rolls-Royce "Falcon") The "Sprat," designed and built by the Blackburn Aeroplane and Motor Company of Leeds, is a training machine of relatively low power, and a feature of it is that it can be used either as a land aeroplane or as a twin-float seaplane, the two undercarriages being interchangeable. A particularly good view from both cockpits is obtained, as they are placed aft of the trailing edge of the top plane, a feature of value in all machines, but particularly in a training type, especially as the "Sprat" is also to be used for training in the landing on the deck of a ship, where a very small divergence from the correct spot may easily spell disaster.
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: The first event of the afternoon was the Group Evolutions of six Fighter Squadrons (54 machines), one squadron of which (No. 32) is shown about to land.
AT THE R.A .F. DISPLAY: Four movements in the air drill by wireless carried out by No. 25 Squadron. Left (top) "Squadron"; (bottom) "Flight Mass Line Abreast." Right (top) executing a half-roll; (bottom) right about turn (via a loop).
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: Event No. 1 (afternoon) Group Evolutions by Six Fighter Squadrons (54 machines). Some of the evolutions. On the right (top) will be seen one Wing of three squadrons (Nos. 19, 29, and 41) in "Mass line ahead." Our camera was not large enough to get in all 54 machines.
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: The Low-Bombing Competition. One of the Gloster "Grebes" of No. 19 Squadron makes a direct hit on the moving tank.
The Gloster "Gamecock" (Bristol "Jupiter") Although not unlike the Gloster "Grebe" in general appearance, the "Gamecock" incorporates a number of special features, improvements, etc., to which, however, no reference may be made here. Apart from the fact that a Bristol "Jupiter" of the latest type, similar to that which flew 25,000 miles between Croydon and Bristol, is fitted, the "Gamecock" is remarkable for the convenient manner in which its various pieces of equipment are arranged so as to be easily accessible, a feature of the very greatest importance in service work. At present the only squadron equipped with "Gamecocks" is No. 23 (Fighter) squadron, Henlow.
THE "SET PIECE" AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: An attack by fighters and day bomber on a hostile aerodrome. The views show No. 43 Squadron (Gamecocks) attacking, at low altitude, with machine gun fire and light bombs.
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: Proceedings opened at Hendon on Saturday with a long distance (500 miles) race for Night-Bombing Squadrons, two of which are shown leaving the aerodrome. Top No. 9 Manston and bottom No. 7 Bircham Newton (Vickers "Virginias")
"THRILLER" AT THE 1920 R.A.F. "PAGEANT": On the picture is seen Miss Sylva Boyden making a descent in a "Guardian Angel" parachute from a Handley Page Bomber.
London-Cairo with a "Jupiter": The Bristol "Bloodhound," Col. Minchin, and Mr. Mayer at Croydon before the flight commenced.
LONDON-CAIRO WITH A "JUPITER": Filling up with "Shell" at Pisa.
AN EXTRA TURN AT THE KING'S CUP RACE: An S.E.5 (Savage Sky-Writing) and a Bristol "Bloodhound" put up some smart banking during the impromptu race at Hendon last Saturday.
London - Cairo with a "Jupiter": A view in the Alps, near the Mount Cenis Pass.
The Hawker "Woodcock" (Bristol "Jupiter") Designed and built by the H. G. Hawker Engineering Co., which may be said to be carrying on the traditions of the late Sopwith Aviation Co., the "Woodcock" single-seater fighter may justly be regarded as the scion of a long family, commencing with the little Sopwith "Tabloid." The "Woodcock" is of normal straightforward design, but, as in so many other cases, appearances are deceptive, and the machine possesses features which a casual examination might fail to reveal. The Hawker "Woodcock" forms the standard equipment of No. 3 (Fighter) squadron, Upavon, and No. 17 (Fighter) squadron, Hawkinge.
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: Proceedings opened at Hendon on Saturday with a long distance (500 miles) race for Night-Bombing Squadrons, one of which is shown leaving the aerodrome. No. 99 Bircham Newton (Handley Page "Hyderabads")
AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: The first event brings the proceedings to a close. The night-bombing squadron, No. 99 (Handley Page "Hyderabads"), is the first to return to Hendon after its 500-mile flight.
MORE GROUP EVOLUTIONS: These were carried out by two Wings of two day-bombing squadrons (Nos .11 and 12, Fairey Fawns, and Nos. 39 and 207, D.H. 9As). In the top view the four squadrons flying together, and below, flying towards one another.
A FINE FORMATION: Were each of the two day-bombing squadrons, in "Squadron" formation, pass over each other and produce a wonderful pattern.
"A DRESS REHEARSAL": Some D.H.9a's of No.39 Bombing Squadron carrying out evolutions over Hendon. Note the formation of Fairey "Fawns" in the left-hand corner of the top picture.
THE "SET PIECE" AT THE R.A.F. DISPLAY: An attack by fighters and day bomber on a hostile aerodrome. The views show No. 12 day-bombing squadron (Fawns), seen on the left, which blows up the hangars, as shown on the right.
U.S. AIR MAIL SERVICE. C.A.M. NO.3: The Curtiss "Carrier Pigeon" mail 'plane, the type used on this route, leaving Chicago on May 12, for the first trip to Dallas.
THE THIRD KING'S CUP RACE, 1924: Mr. A. S. Butler has entered his D.H.37 "Sylvia," which will be piloted by Major H. Hemming. The engine is a 280 h.p. Rolls-Royce "Falcon," the only water-cooled engine in the race
The King's Cup: The D.H.37 will this year have a 300 h.p. "Nimbus" engine. Herewith, is the original "Sylvia" with Rolls-Royce "Falcon."
The King's Cup: Another member of the "D.H." family, the "51," with 120 h.p. "Airdisco" engine.
The Gloster "Gorcock" (Napier "Lion" VIII) An interesting comparison may be made between the Gloster "Gorcock" and the Avro "Avenger," both being single-seater fighters and both being fitted with .the Napier direct-drive engine. As is, of course, well known, the "Gorcock" was designed by Mr. H. P. Folland, chief designer to the Gloucestershire Aircraft Company, who designed the Gloster III that took part, piloted by Mr. Hinkler, in the Schneider Cup seaplane race at Baltimore last year. Like the "Firefly," the "Gorcock" has wing radiators of the type lying flush against the surface of the upper wing, while the "Avenger" has Lamblin radiators.
Gloster Gorcock создавался исключительно как опытная машина - для отработки двигателей с турбокомпрессорами для высотных истребителей. Самолет имел хвостовое оперение по типу истребителя S.E.5A. На фотографии - второй самолет с металлическими крыльями и двигателем Lion VIII. Первый самолет имел деревянные крылья. Фирменное обозначение компании - G.16.
The second Gorcock with a direct-drive Lion VIII engine and Gamecock-style tail unit.
A NEW GLOSTER SINGLE-SEATER FIGHTER: We show two views of the "Gorecock," a fast single-seater fighter designed by Mr. H. P. Folland, of the Gloucestershire Aircraft Co. This is an "external view only" machine, so we can only draw attention here to its clean design, and the neat wing radiators. It is fitted with a direct-drive Napier "Lion" engine.
THE HAWKER "HORNBILL": Among the single-seater fighters which made their first appearance at the R.A.F Display few came in for more favourable comment than the machine here shown. The engine is a Rolls-Royce "Condor."
The Hawker "Hornbill" (Rolls-Royce "Condor") Although a single-seater fighter, the "Hornbill," designed by Mr. Camm, chief designer of the H. G. Hawker Engineering Co., is a somewhat different type from the other three, having a much more powerful, but also larger and heavier engine, the Rolls-Royce "Condor," of 670 h.p. The extra size of the engine, and the greater quantity of fuel to be carried, mean a greater power plant and fuel weight, and consequently larger wing area if the same stalling speed is to be retained. In spite of this, Mr. Camm has been very successful in producing a clean machine without sacrifice of speed.
THE HAWKER "HORNBILL" in various attitudes, as piloted by Mr. Bulman
HEINKELS AT WARNEMUNDE: Ernst Heinkel, one of the pioneers of German aircraft construction, is represented by five machines. Our photographs show: 1, the H.E.5 monoplane with Napier "Lion" engine. The monoplane shown has been fitted with a Reed metal propeller for the competition
HEINKELS AT WARNEMUNDE: Ernst Heinkel, one of the pioneers of German aircraft construction, is represented by five machines. The nose and floats of the H.E.5 monoplane with Napier "Lion" engine are shown, in 2. The process of fitting with a Reed metal propeller being shown.
HEINKELS AT WARNEMUNDE: Ernst Heinkel, one of the pioneers of German aircraft construction, is represented by five machines. The machine illustrated in 4 is also a type H.E.5, but is fitted with a Gnome and Rhone "Jupiter."
HEINKELS AT WARNEMUNDE: Ernst Heinkel, one of the pioneers of German aircraft construction, is represented by five machines. 3 shows the two biplanes, type H.D.24, which are fitted with 230 h.p. B.M.W. IV engines.
The King's Cup: The "Swallow" mono., 130 h.p. Clerget, was originally the late Harry Hawkers sporting and touring 'bus.
The King's Cup: A similar Vickers "Vixen" to that shown, with 450 h.p.. Napier "Lion," is entered this year.
SECOND IN THE KING'S CUP RACE: Two views of the Vickers "Vixen III" (Napier "Lion"), piloted by Fit.-Lieut. E. R. C. Scholefield, who came in only 22 secs. behind Broad.
Vendace оснащался двигателем Rolls-Royce Falcon III мощностью 275 л. с. и конструктивно представлял собой вполне традиционный биплан со складывающимися крыльями одинакового размаха и двумя открытыми кабинами.
The Vickers "Vendace" (Rolls-Royce "Falcon") Designed to the same specification as the Blackburn "Sprat," the Vickers "Vendace" is a two-seater training machine capable of being used either as a seaplane or as a land aeroplane. It. was designed by Mr. Rex Pierson, chief designer to Vickers, Limited, among whose famous machines is numbered the "Vimy" on which Sir John Alcock flew across the Atlantic, in 1919. Being intended for training purposes the "Vendace" has a fairly large wing area, with the result that the stalling speed is extremely low. The wing strutting arrangement is somewhat unusual, there being but one strut (on the front spar) in the inner bay.
The King's Cup: This is the famous Martinsyde F.6 (200 h.p. Wolseley "Viper"), originally owned and flown by F. P. Raynham in previous races. Its new pilot will be Leslie Hamilton.
THE HANDLEY PAGE "HENDON": This is a torpedo plane with slotted wings. The engine is a Napier "Lion." The auxiliary aerofoils on the leading edge are of the more recent type, made from Duralumin sheet, which lie snugly against the leading edge when the slot is closed.
SLOT CONTROL: On Tuesday of last week a demonstration was given at Cricklewood of the new Handley Page "Hendon," which is fitted with leading edge slots and slotted ailerons. The photograph in the upper left-hand corner shows Mr. F. Handley Page explaining the action of the slots by means of a demonstration model. Major Davidson, U.S. Attache, nearest Mr. Handley Page, appears very interested. The upper right-hand photograph shows the "Hendon" taking off, piloted by Capt. Wilcockson. Note that the flaps are down and the slots open. On the left the machine is seen landing, and it will be noticed that, although the flight path is very steep, the machine is not tail-down. On the right a close-up view of the front of the machine. The lift-slot is only partially open, while the port control slot is fully-open and the port aileron down.
SLOT CONTROL: Diagrammatic representation of the system used on the Handley Page "Hendon." There is a main slot and a main trailing edge flap, which are used to give extra lift, while the wing-tip slots and flaps are used chiefly for control. On the left is shown the position occupied by the flaps and slots for slow flying. The control slots and their flaps are still available for lateral control. The position shown in the centre corresponds to fast flying with lift slot closed and main flap neutral, while the starboard control slot is open and its flap down, to produce anti-clockwise roll. On the right, the position in normal straight flight with slots closed.
A FINE GET-AWAY IN THE KING'S CUP: Sq.-Ldr. Sir C. J. Q. Brand, and the Parnall "Plover" (Bristol "Jupiter"), was another competitor that met with misfortune after making excellent progress during the first day's racing.
De Havilland "Hyena" (Armstrong Siddeley "Jaguar") Designed to the same specification as the other Army co-operation machines, the de Havilland "Hyena" retains its typical de Havilland lines, and especially does it resemble the famous D.H.9A, except for such rather drastic changes as the substitution of a radial air-cooled engine for the water-cooled "Liberty" of the 9A, and the fitting of a lower plane of considerably smaller chord than the top. The cowling of the "Jaguar" engine has been carried out with considerable care, and the undercarriage is of more modern design than that of the 9A, being of the type in which rubber blocks are used working in compression.
Entered by Col. M. O. Darby, the Airdisco Martinsyde "A.D.C.I," which will be piloted by Sqdn.-Ldr. W.H. Longton, is fitted with a Siddeley "Jaguar" engine of 395 h.p.
THIRD IN THE KING'S CUP RACE: Two views of the Martinsyde A.D.C.1 (Siddeley "Jaguar") completing two of his early laps.
"THE HEAVENLY TWINS": The two Nimbus Martinsydes, piloted by Capt. F. T. Courtney (G-EBOL) and H. H. Perry (G-EBOJ) start off together on the first lap of the King's Cup Race at Hendon on Friday.
"AND THEN THERE WAS NONE": Much disappointment was felt generally at the bad luck experienced by the two Nimbus Martinsydes in the King's Cup Race. Above is seen H. H. Perry banking on one of these 'buses, and inset, Col. Bristow gives him correct B.S.T.
The King's Cup: The Cranwell C.L.A.3 monoplane, 25 h.p. Bristol "Cherub" III, is already known to our readers.
THE FIFTH KING'S CUP RACE: Starting-up the Bristol "Cherub III" engine of the Cranwell C.L.A.3 monoplane, entered by Sq.-Ldr. W. Thomas (Cranwell Light Aero Club) and piloted by Fit.-Lieut. N. Comper.
THE BRISTOL "BADMINTON": Three-quarter front view showing the very neat cowling over the Bristol "Jupiter" air-cooled engine.
THE BRISTOL "BADMINTON": Side view of the new "cross-country racer" which will take part in the King's Cup Race, piloted by Capt. F. L. Barnard who is seen standing beside the machine.
The King's Cup: The Bristol "Badminton" 400 h.p. "Jupiter" is the only absolutely new type in the race.
THE FIFTH KING'S CUP RACE: Capt. F. L. Barnard - a previous King's Cup winner and the Bristol "Badminton," on which he was unfortunately forced to land when on his last lap on the first day, owing to petrol feed trouble. Note Barnard's "fresh air breather tube."
Bristol "Badminton" Type 99 Bristol "Jupiter" Engine
THE KOOLHOVEN F.K.34: Fitted with a Hispano-Suiza engine of 450 h.p., this machine has a top speed of 204 km. (126-5 miles) per hour, and gets off in 14 seconds. The wing span is 13 m. (42 ft. 7 in.). In the photograph the machine is seen at the moment of alighting.
Two L.F.G. machines at Warnemunde: On the left the nose of V.61, with Bristol "Jupiter" engine. On the right, No. 2, the V.60 biplane, which has a 240 h.p. B.M W. IV engine.
At Warnemunde: No. 3, the L.F.G. V.61, with Bristol "Jupiter" engine, being weighed. This machine is of all-metal construction.
Two L.F.G. machines at Warnemunde: On the left the nose of V.61, with Bristol "Jupiter" engine. On the right, No. 2, the V.60 biplane, which has a 240 h.p. B.M W. IV engine.
ROHRBACHS AT WARNEMUNDE: The two flying-boats with two 230 h.p. B.M.W IV engines are similar in lines to the large Rohrbach flying-boats now being built in this country by Wm. Beardmore, but are very much smaller.
A Beaching Trolley: The wheel gear of the Rohrbach is made of Duralumin and is, presumably, less cumbersome than it appears in this photograph. Note the cowling of the B.M.W. engines.