Seen flying over Malta in 1928-29 is the last Fairey IIID built for the FAA, S1108. This three-seat spotter reconnaissance seaplane was powered by the 450 h.p. Napier Lion engine.
The Parnall Peto two-seat reconnaissance seaplane operated from the Royal Navy submarine M.2. The Peto could be folded and housed in a small hangar aboard the vessel and could be catapulted from the deck. Eight Petos were built but the identity of the example illustrated is not known. The M.2 was lost off Portland in January 1932 when the hangar door was inadvertently opened whilst the submarine was submerged.
The ugly and aptly named Bison, Avro’s design for a carrier-borne fleet spotter reconnaissance aircraft. Powered by a 450 h.p. Napier Lion, the Bison carried a crew of three or four and was armed with a free-mounted Lewis machine gun on a Scarff ring amidships. Bison N9838 is seen on a flight from Hal Far, Malta in 1928.
Another Bison, N9592, was ditched by Lt Harrison with J. Marescaux as his observer. They were picked up by HMS Caradoc. N9592 was originally delivered to the Engine Research Flight at the RAE in February 1924.
The Blackburn Dart single-seat carrier-borne torpedo-carrier entered service in 1923 and remained with the FAA until 1933. Dart N9543, seen dropping an 18in torpedo, was delivered from the Blackburn factory in November 1922.
The all-metal Fairey IIIF Mk II S1220 seen in a precarious position, reportedly aboard HMS Courageous. The IIIF entered FAA service in 1928 and was declared obsolete in 1940!