Lockheed 18-08 G-AGDE Loch Lesja (c/n 2086) operated as part of the Norwegian Detachment from mid-August 1941. The aircraft was painted in American variants of Dark Green, Dark Earth and Sky Grey before its ferry flight to Britain, and had the undersides repainted Aluminium after its arrival.
Lockheed C-60A G-AGLH (c/n 2616) circa the spring of 1945. It was delivered in standard USAAF camouflage of Dark Olive Drab 41 and Neutral Gray 43. After its arrival in the UK, disruptive areas of Extra Dark Sea Grey were painted on the upper surfaces and the lower surfaces were painted Night.
Lodestar G-AGEI (c/n 2084), named Loch Loen, was acquired by the Norwegian government-in-exile under Lend-Lease arrangements in June 1942. By the end of the month it had been taken on strength with BOAC’s Norwegian Detachment, and by mid-September 1942 it had begun operating from Leuchars, where it is seen here in late 1943 or 1944.
One of the eight C-60A Lodestars acquired by the Norwegians during the latter half of 1943. It may be c/n 2594, which went on to serve on the Stockholm Run as G-AGIK. It is seen here from the cockpit of G-AGDD, still in its delivery colours while on a domestic UK flight.
Lockheed C-60A G-AGII (c/n 2492) was used by Royal Norwegian Air Transport on the Sweden service from August 1944, and is seen here at Torslanda on August 15. Note the internal blanking-off of most of the cabin windows.
Another of the C-60As acquired by the Norwegians under the provisions of Lend-Lease, G-AGIK (c/n 2594) is seen here being refuelled at Bromma in late 1944, having been leased to BOAC at the end of March that year. It was returned to the Royal Norwegian Air Force coded “F” in July 1945, to serve with the newly-formed No 20 Transport Flight.
Lockheed 18-10 Lodestar c/n 2087 was one of the two acquired by the Royal Norwegian Air Force in the early summer of 1941 and immediately leased to BOAC. Given the British registration G-AGDD and named Loch Losna, the aircraft was in service with BOAC by the end of July and made its first flight to Stockholm as part of the company’s Norwegian Detachment on August 18, 1941.
Lodestars of No 20 Transport Sqn at Fornebu, Oslo, in the summer of 1945. The unit’s designation was reportedly inherited from Luftwaffe transport unit Transportfliegergruppe 20, which operated from Fornebu during the war.
King Haakon VII of Norway, resident in London from June 1940 to June 1945, in the cockpit of a BOAC Lodestar, probably during a visit to Leuchars on May 7, 1943.
An original painting by ROGER MIDDLEBROOK of Lockheed Lodestar G-AGDE, named Loch Lesja, over the mountains of Norway while operating with BOAC’s Norwegian Detachment. The flights to and from Sweden in the slow and vulnerable Lodestars were always made at night and often in appalling weather.
Lockheed 14WF62 Super Electra G-AFMO (c/n 1490) parked near the Airwork hangar at Heston in April 1939. This aircraft was used by British Airways on the Scandinavian Express - Flight 730 - between Whitchurch and Helsinki via Stavanger and Stockholm the same year, but was destroyed in a landing accident at Heston in January 1940.
BOAC shared its base at Leuchars with B Flight of No 333 (Norwegian) Sqn, both enjoying the benefits of co-location, especially regarding ground services. Here Mosquito II DZ744 of No 333 Sqn shares the ramp at Leuchars with BOAC Mosquito VI G-AGGC (formerly HJ680) in late 1943 or early 1944.
Hatfield-built de Havilland Mosquito FB.VI G-AGGH (formerly HJ723 in RAF service) in BOAC markings at Torslanda airport at Gothenburg in 1944. Note the British Civil Air Ensign flying from the flagpole in front of the terminal.