Two detail photographs of the KLM Douglas DC-3 PH-AST Tapuit. The last of KLM's DC-3 fleet, 'ST went into service after March 1939. On May 10, 1940 this DC-3 was destroyed by German bombs at Schiphol Airport.
Ensign G-ADSZ Elysian was first flown in June 1939 and is seen here during its early days of service.
A last look at peacetime Croydon from the airport buildings. War clouds loom - note the two RAF Wellesleys parked just in front of the distant hangars.
Sunderland V JM718, captained by Fg Off Nicholas and flying over Pembrokshire. The photograph was taken by Mr Leeks from the astrodome of Sunderland V PP163.
Sunderland V ML817 "Baker X-Ray" over the Pembroke coast and not yet in line with the rest of the formation.
Another view of Sunderland V ML817, taken from the astrodome of an accompanying Sunderland over the Pembrokeshire coast near St Ann's Head.
Sunderland Vs of Nos 230 and 201 Sqns practice their formation flying on August 4, 1955. The CO of 230 Sqn, Sqn Ldr Stavert, leads in PP163. To his left is JM718 and to the right is ML817 with SZ560 bringing up the rear of the box. Four Sunderlands of 201 Sqn follow - SZ575, VB889, PP117 and SZ576. No 201 Sqn took delivery of its first Sunderlands (Mk Is) in April 1940 and continued to fly various marks of the 'boat until 1957. No 230 Sqn, the first RAF squadron to receive Sunderlands, took delivery of its Mk Is in 1938 and continued to operate the type until 1957.
The Sunderland formation keeping close together over the Pembrokeshire coast.
On another occasion in August 1955 - Sunderlands of 201 Sqn break for landing over RAF Pembroke Dock.
D.H.86A G-AEJM, owned by Wrightways Ltd and based at Croydon from 1936 until the outbreak of war.
Sabena Savoia Marchetti S.73 OO-AGO. Powered by three 600 h.p. Gnome-Rhone 9Kfr Mistral Major radial engines, the trimotor normally carried 18 passengers and a crew of five.
Close-up detail of the four 550 h.p. Bristol Jupiter XFBM radial engines of the Short L.17 Scylla G-ACJJ. Interestingly, G-ACJJ does not have Imperial Airways London painted beneath the two forward windows. An additional window seems to have been added just forward of the A in the registration letters, normally a recognition feature of the second L.17, Syrinx, after its rebuild.