Aeroplane Monthly 1993-05
-
Personal album
A Netherlands Naval Air Squadron Hawker Sea Fury about to land on HMS Illustrious, between the second and third crash barriers, in 1951.
A Dutch Sea Fury enters No 1 barrier, although a late wire has caught.
Hawker Sea Fury VR941 ablaze on HMS Illustrious in 1949. One firesuitman is already in the flames under the inverted aircraft, helping the pilot. His colleague is about to assist. Amazingly the pilot was rescued, albeit with some burns but otherwise all right. Both firesuitmen were subsequently awarded a King’s Commendation for their part in the rescue.
Miles M.14 Hawk Trainer G-AKKY, owned by the Birmingham Airport Flying Group, was earlier T9841 with the RAF. This Maggie ended its days at Renfrew, where it was withdrawn from use in November 1964.
Tipsy Trainer 1 G-AFVN of the Montgomery Flying Group preparing to leave Baginton just as an Alvis Leonides-powered Sikorsky S-55 hovers in the background under test by Johnny Williams. Registered in July 1939, the Tipsy is still extant.
Taylorcraft Model D G-AHXG of the Shropshire Aero Club following C of A renewal at Baginton. It was destroyed in a gale at Sleap on February 12, 1961.
A Fairey Barracuda lands on HMS Implacable in 1950.
The Ship’s Flight Fairey Barracuda, possibly RJ790 of 815 Sqn, takes off from HMS Illustrious. The last Barracudas to remain in service, they were replaced with Grumman Avengers in May 1954.
Tipsy Trainer 1 G-AFVN of the Montgomery Flying Group preparing to leave Baginton just as an Alvis Leonides-powered Sikorsky S-55 hovers in the background under test by Johnny Williams. Registered in July 1939, the Tipsy is still extant.
The Warwickshire Aero Club’s D.H. Tiger Moth G-ANON pictured at Baginton following routine maintenance. On December 17, 1961 it was damaged beyond repair at Fairoaks following a taxying mishap.
The Warwickshire Aero Club’s Tiger Moth G-AOIM with a brand new C of A. Registered in December 1956, ’IM was formerly T7019 in the RAF.
D.H.103 Hornet F.20 VZ710 flying off HMS Implacable at the end of its commission in 1950.
A Sea Hornet after a hard landing and an argument with Illustrious’s round-down.
Percival Proctor 4 G-AOBI with new C of A at Baginton. Formerly NP358 with the RAF, this Proctor was withdrawn from use at Halfpenny Green in August 1964, having first appeared on the register in November 1956.
D.H. Leopard Moth G-ACMN at the time it was owned by Avis Ltd. It was sent to Coventry from Christchurch where it has been used as a hack by the de Havilland Aircraft Company. Today ’MN is owned by Henry Labouchere and was the subject of the June 1992 Preservation profile.
One of the most famous of all Comper Swifts, G-ACTF, the former Scarlet Angel VT-ADO. It is seen here during a thorough overhaul at Baginton at the time that it was owned by the Proctor Flying Group, based at Baginton. Today TF is owned by Alan Chalkley and is currently in store.