A series of views from the mid-upper gunner’s position in Vickers Vimy J7448. Top, looking forward to the cockpit; Bottom, looking back between the biplane tail and twin fins and rudders;
A view from the mid-upper gunner’s position in Vickers Vimy J7448, looking out along the port wings past one of the 360 h.p. Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII engines. Entering service with the RAF at the end of the First World War, the Vimy was not used operationally in that conflict, but served faithfully until as late as 1929. This particular Vimy belonged to No 4 Flying Training School based at Abu Sueir, Egypt, and all of these pictures were probably taken in the Middle East.
Vickers-built Vimy F8632 after "P/O Robertson's crash" - unfortunately undated. Picture shows it immediately after the mishap.
Ack-emmas and local natives examine an anonymous but already rebuilt Vimy, JR?42?, bent by CpI Gordon, place and date unknown.
Vickers-built Vimy F8632 after "P/O Robertson's crash" - unfortunately undated. Picture depicts it during recovery, with its outer wing panels removed. This Vimy has been re-engined with Armstrong Siddeley Jaguar aircooled radial engines, as were quite a few after withdrawal from first-line service.
Avro 504K H9569, from a batch of 300 built by the Grahame-White Aviation Co Ltd, is seen here after "F/O Lowe’s crash" in the ’twenties.
This collision between a pair of Avro 504Ns piloted by Plt Offs Ryland and McInernys took place at Abu Sueir in 1930, but who was in which machine is not known. The distinctive oleo-pneumatic undercarriage and twin underwing tanks of this variant are conspicuous.