Aeroplane Monthly 1979-10
Croydon /Gone but not forgotten/ (5)
Two RAF Dakotas flank an Air France Bloch 221 in April 1946.
Rows of D.H.9 fuselages stacked up in the Aircraft Disposal Company's works at Croydon.
A common sight at Croydon until 1939 were the Lufthansa Junkers Ju 52/3ms. This one, D-AXOS Oswald Boelcke, was a regular visitor.
A view of Croydon in the early ’20s. Note D.H.34 G-EBBS parked at right.
Not so common was this Lithuanian Air Force Anbo IV, which visited Croydon in July 1934.
The end. Avro 19 G-AGZT, last owned by Fairways (Jersey) Ltd, lying derelict at Croydon at the time of its closure in 1958.
Tiger Moths stacked in the Rollason hangar awaiting civil conversion, 1959.
British Airways D.H.86 G-ADEA surrounded by smaller fry, with two D.H.83 Fox Moths in the foreground.
Percival Q.6 and D.H. Dove on the Croydon apron in the mid 1950s
Typical apron scene at Croydon in the early ’30s with Fokker F.VIII PH-AEl, later to become G-AEPU with British Airways, and H.P.42 G-AAXE Hengist about to depart.
For a short while BOAC’s Lancastrians called into Croydon. This one, G-AGLW Northampton, is seen there in the late '40s, and was scrapped at Hurn in January 1951.
The awesome Junkers-G 38 D-APIS at Croydon in August 1936. D-APIS was originally registered D-2500 and named General-feldmarschall von Hindenburg. It was destroyed at Athens during the war by RAF bombing.
Three Douglas World Cruisers New Orleans 4, Boston 3 and Chicago 2 at Croydon on July 16, 1924, during their round-the-world flight from Seattle from April 6 to September 28.
Norman Jones seated in the first Rollason-built Druine Turbulent, G-APBZ, shortly before its first flight at Croydon on January 1, 1958.
A low-level aerial view of Croydon taken in April 1935.
THE LEVEL CROSSING AT WADDON AERODROME: Lieut. Courtney taxying a Westland across the road which divides the Waddon aerodrome, what time the red-flag man holds up the approaching traffic.
Westland Limousine G-EAJL crosses Plough Lane in September 1920. This road was removed in 1928 when the aerodrome was reconstructed. Prior to that time, the land to the east of Plough Lane was the main part of the aerodrome, being linked by railway sidings with the ADC factories situated nearby.