HAWKER HUNTER flown by NEVILLE DUKE. The Hunter began life as the P.1067, designed by Sir Sydney Camm to meet Air Ministry Specification F.3/48. In June 1948 three prototypes were ordered, the first of which made its maiden flight from Boscombe Down on July 20,1951 with Duke as pilot. In the third aircraft the 7,500lb s.t. Rolls-Royce Avon was replaced by the Armstrong Siddeley Sapphire. The first production Hunter F.l first flew on May 16,1953.
Lynx helicopters of the Royal Navy and Royal Netherlands Navy flying with 700L Naval Air Squadron, RNAS Yeovilton, an intensive flying trials unit.
A Lynx helicopter from Yeovilton’s 700L Naval Air Squadron made the first deck landings by a production RN Lynx in February 1977, touching down on HMS Birmingham.
In December two more Mustangs from Israel joined the one now being restored to flying condition at Duxford. The new arrivals are serialled IDF/AF 41 and 146.
The Caselle-based Panavia Tornado 09, photographed in February 1977, is being used for flutter and armament trials.
The Hawker Sea Furies belonging to Frank Sanders (nearest) and Lloyd Hamilton, putting in some practice laps at the Mojave Air Races in March 1976.
The Hawker Hart two-seat light day bombers of No 57 Squadron were photographed by THE AEROPLANE in the mid-1950s.
After nearly five years grounded, owing to crankshaft failure in July 1972, S.E.5a F904 flew again at Farnborough on January 19, 1977, piloted by Wg Cdr David Bywater. A 200 h.p. Wolseley Viper now replaces the Hispano Suiza previously fitted.
A fine study of the first T-tailed Hughes 500D on the British Register, G-BEJY, photographed by TOM HAMILL of Flight on February 20, 1977.
One of two non-flying reproductions of the 1920 Vickers Viking amphibian is seen on location on La Palma island in the Canaries for the filming of Amicus Productions' The People that Time Forgot. The aircraft, built by Fairey’s Marine Division at Hamble, are powered by 1,300cc Ford Escort engines which enable them to taxi on land and water. The second Viking went to Pinewood Studios. Their total cost was ?33,300.
Flight International photographer TOM HAMILL took this photograph of the Shuttleworth Collection's Avro 504K during a sortie from Old Warden aerodrome on August 29, 1971. Originally a Lynx-engined 504N, it is now powered by a 110 h.p. Le Rhone rotary.
Production of the Pilatus B-4 PC-11AF all-metal high performance sailplane is set at 80 units for 1977, following the type’s success last year.