An Airco D.H.9A of No 30 Sqn over the hostile terrain of 1920s Iraq. The unit was based in Baghdad when work on the Furrow started in the summer of 1921, and continued to operate the trusty “Ninak” until 1929, when it re-equipped with Westland Wapitis.
30-я эскадрилья британских ВВС летала на DH.9A в 1921-1929 годах, проведя почти все время в Ираке. Самолеты обычно несли запасное колесо на левом борту в носовой части, а на многих машинах эскадрильи законцовки крыльев и стабилизатора окрашивались в оранжевый цвет, чтобы их легко можно было обнаружить в случае вынужденной посадки.
D.H.9A E802 was one of several hundred built by the Whitehead Aircraft Co Ltd at Feltham, Middlesex, and is seen here a long way from home operating with No 30 Sqn in Iraq. Note the spare wheel lashed to the fuselage, a common - and frequently necessary - precaution adopted while flying over unpredictable and often harsh terrain.
The rugged D.H.9A was one of the outstanding aircraft of its era, and differed from its predecessor, the D.H.9, in being fitted with an American-built 400 h.p. Liberty L-12 engine. This example, F2842, is seen at Hinaidi, Iraq, while serving with C Flight, 55 Sqn, in 1926.
A Vickers Vimy of No 216 Sqn flies over the Saladin Citadel in Cairo, Egypt. Once the airmail route had been established between Cairo and Baghdad, the Vimys of No 216 Sqn were a regular sight along the Furrow, the unit retaining biplane bombers in the Middle East until as late as 1939
A trio of Vimys flying in formation over the fertile fields of the Nile Delta in Egypt. In 1925 it was agreed by the RAF and Imperial Airways that the latter would take over the desert airmail service, starting in late 1926.
A bustling scene at Hinaidi, south of Baghdad, with mail being loaded aboard the Vickers Vernons of No 70 Sqn for the flight westwards along the Furrow.