Gannet AS.6 XG798 of 831 Squadron. It was written off on November 11, 1962.
Alongside the AEW.3s and COD.4s, 849 Squadron had a number of T.5s on strength, including XT752, originally the prototype T.2.
The first West German Navy AS.4. Note rocket rails and rearward-facing ‘back-seater’.
Six of the West German Navy’s 16 Gannets are visible in this formation.
Indonesian AS.4 AS-15. Reference to the table on page 52 will show that there were two airframes with the identity!
No.831 Squadron was the only unit to fly Mk.6s in the electronic warfare training role. XA460 was one of around eight upgraded for the role.
Gannet COD.4 XG786 landing at a shore base in the early 1970s. The aircraft carries baggage pods on the pylons under the wings.
A large proportion of the early testing of ASMD.8 version of the Double Mamba was carried out at Bitteswell using Gannet AS.1 WN346.
T.5 LA-17 is flanked by AS.4s AS-16 and -17. All three were used by Fairey to train Indonesian pilots at White Waltham and were not delivered.
XA326 wearing the codes of 817 Squadron, RAN. Only the kangaroo centres to the roundels distinguish the aircraft from FAA Gannets.
Первый из 15 Gannet AS.Mk 4, поставленных ВМС ФРГ. Створки бомбоотсека открыты, передний винт зафлюгирован.
The sole West German Gannet T.5, VA+99. Note the instructor’s periscope.
Two Indonesian Gannets form the backdrop to this staged photo marking the start of the delivery flight from Hurn.
Gannet AEW.3 XL497 of 'B' Flight 849 Squadron, mid-1976.
In the late 1960s implosion panels were added behind the cockpit canopy to help the pilot get out of the aircraft underwater. The small representation of Australia records the winning of the Australia Shield by 'B' Flight, 849 Squadron, in 1975. AEW.3 XP226 is preserved at the Newark Air Museum.
The dish of the AN/APS-20F radar system was located inside the radome under the centre fuselage.
Neil Moffat flying his Gannet AEW.3 XL502 (G-BMYP) on a sortie out of Carlisle, Cumbria, in 1987.
Former West German Navy UA+112 is preserved at the collection at Speyer
Air-to-air of AEW.3 N1350X.
XJ440 was the aerodynamic prototype of the AEW.3. It made its first flight on August 20, 1958, in unpainted state.
Neil Moffat demonstrates the size of the AEW.3. Of note is the access ladder that was pumped down - see the handle - from its stowed position to alongside the radome. In the foreground is the pylon-stowable Palouste starter.
AEW.3 XL451, involved in the original service trials on board HMS 'Victorious', catching the wire on the carrier.
AEW.3 N1350X (previously XL482) during trials in the USA with Hamilton Standard
All the front-line AEW.3s served with various flights of 849 Squadron. The 'BY' on XL451's tail denotes it was shore-based at RNAS Brawdy.
XL502 was involved in the development of the improved AN/APS-20 radar before being returned to 849 Squadron. At Duxford in June 1975, it was one of the last examples in service
With one half of its Double Mamba shut down, XJ440 poses for the camera, probably before appearing at Farnborough in 1958. Of note is the original short-length hook.