Cierva’s first autogiro, the C.1, with heavily-braced, contra-rotating rotors, at Getafe aerodrome, Madrid, in 1920/21.
Another view of the C.1, which used a Deperdussin monoplane fuselage.
Cierva poses with the C.3, which was completed before the C.2, at Getafe in 1921.
The C.2, with its five-bladed rotor, rolled to the right during tests with the result depicted.
The C.3 at Getafe in 1921 after an attempted take-off when powered with a 50 h.p. Gnome. An 80 h.p. le Rhone was later installed.
Seen intact, this autogiro featured warp control rods extending to the rotor blade trailing edges.
Cierva holds a model of the C.2 made in Escuela Industrial, 1922.
The BCD.1 "Red Crab" was the first successful indigenous Spanish aircraft. It is seen here at Cuatro Vientos aerodrome.
The le Rhone-engined BCD.2 monoplane at Getafe aerodrome, Madrid, 1913.
The trimotor at Cuatro Vientos, Madrid, in May 1919, with its three 220 h.p. Hispano-Suizas in evidence.
Juan de la Cierva in the rear gunner's cockpit of his trimotor bomber.
The ill-fated bomber being manoeuvred into its hangar at Cuatro Vientos, May 1919.