North American Harvard IIA, EX845, of No 4 FTS seen on its way to the Victoria Falls for a day trip for instructors and ground crews at the end of a pupil course. The Mk IIA Harvard had a plywood rear fuselage and 726 IIAs were supplied to the RAF, the type seeing service mainly in Southern Rhodesia.
No 4 FTS Tiger Moth, T6629, seen during local formation flying in the vicinity of RAF Heany. Five Elementary and Reserve Flying Training Schools in the Rhodesian Air Training Group were equipped with Tiger Moths between the years of 1937-39 and it was the last biplane trainer in the RAF. The type remained in service at RAF Heany with the RAF Volunteer Reserve until 1951.
Tiger Moth T7785 of B Flight, No 4 FTS RAF Heany, Southern Rhodesia, built by Morris Motors Ltd at Cowley.
Tiger Moth DX709 was built by de Havilland Aircraft Pty, in Australia during the war. Large numbers of Australian-built Tigers were shipped to Southern Rhodesia and South Africa for use under the Commonwealth Air Training Plan. The engine cowlings of the example here look somewhat battered.
Tiger Moth T6629 is featured again, during a formation landing by No 4 FTS aircraft in May 1949.
No doubt a familiar sight to many of our readers is the Tiger Moth cockpit, complete with Gosport tube.