Aeroplane Monthly 1991-06
-
J.Havers - Field of endeavour (2)
A Whitley towing an Airspeed Horsa. Designed as a long-range night bomber, the Whitley was relegated to glider towing work but was not used operationally. Most were used at No 21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit at RAF Brize Norton. Brian Field became quite a dab hand at flying the Christchurch-based Whitley used for initial towing of early Horsas.
Brian Field’s Miles Falcon G-ADLI, acquired in August 1939. Following several post-war ownerships, this Falcon crashed at Elstree on September 10, 1952.
A Whitley towing an Airspeed Horsa. Designed as a long-range night bomber, the Whitley was relegated to glider towing work but was not used operationally. Most were used at No 21 Heavy Glider Conversion Unit at RAF Brize Norton. Brian Field became quite a dab hand at flying the Christchurch-based Whitley used for initial towing of early Horsas.
Supermarine S.5 N219 seen at Venice in September 1927.
The Bristol Lucifer-powered Parnall Peto N182, later registered to Brian Field as G-ACOJ.
Hawker Tomtit G-AFFL about to be flagged off at the start of a race. In the background is the T.K.2 G-ADNO.
Te Gloster IV N224 seen here at Venice in September 1927.
Hawker Tomtit G-AFVV was built originally for the RAF as K1784 and was later owned by the Leicester Aero Club and Alex Henshaw. It was one of six Tomtits which Brian Field purchased from the Air Ministry and subsequently sold on the civil market.
Hawker Tomtit G-AEVO in which Field participated in the 1937 Isle of Man races. The Tomtit was fitted with an Armstrong Siddeley Mongoose engine.
Hawker Tomtit G-AFFL about to be flagged off at the start of a race. In the background is the T.K.2 G-ADNO.
Hawker Tomtit G-AGEF seen at Christchurch adjacent to the Airspeed factory in 1942. The aircraft was written off in October 1943 when owned by Vickers-Armstrongs Ltd. Tomtit bear RAF fin flashes and have their civil registration letter underlined with red, white and blue stripes.
Wartime photograph of Alex Henshaw’s Tomtit G-AFTA, with front cockpit faired over and fitted with a Spitfire windscreen. Tomtit bear RAF fin flashes and have their civil registration letter underlined with red, white and blue stripes.
The sole Dudley Watt D.W.2, designed by K. N. Pearson and built at Brooklands in 1929-30. It was powered by a 90 h.p. ADC Cirrus III and was dismantled by Brian Field in December 1934.