Miles Magister L5916 was delivered to the RAF in mid-1937 and went to the Central Flying School, when this photograph was taken. It wears the bold red-and-white markings of the CFS aerobatic team. The aircraft passed to 1 FTS and several other units before ending its flying career with the Air Transport Auxiliary. In July 1945 the Magister become an instructional airframe and was given the serial number 5362M.
Avro 504K G-EASF began life as RAF machine D5858 and in 1920 was sold to Cobham & Holmes Aviation Company. From July 1933 this veteran was owned by Messrs Rimmer and Mackay and operated from Hooton Park until it was dismantled there in 1936.
Siskin IIIDC J9190 looking rather sorry for itself at RAF Spitalgate after it was hit by Hawker Tomtit J9777 taking off. First flown in June 1928, J9190 was delivered to 32 Sqn and later passed to 3 FTS. The Siskin was repaired following its collision, returned to 3 FTS and remained there until July 1933.
Two photographs of the Boulton and Paul Sidestrand medium day-bomber J9768. This Mk III aircraft was delivered to the RAF in mid-1930 and was assigned to 101 Sqn in July that year. After reconditioning by the makers it was returned to the squadron but crashed while taking off from RAF Andover during an endurance test on March 5, 1933. Following repairs, it was then hit by Bristol Bulldog K1640 of 3 Sqn during combat practice at RAF Upavon on June 1, 1933. After further reconditioning by Boulton and Paul it flew once again. The only squadron to operate the Sidestrand was No 101. Sidestrands were originally based at RAF Bircham Newton, but were later transferred to Andover.
A pair of D.H.87 Hornet Moths of the Exeter Aero Club, at Exeter in August 1939. G-ADKM was registered in November 1935. In January 1940 it was impressed into RAF service as W5751; it was restored to the register in May 1946 and is still extant. G-AFMP was impressed as W5782 at the same time but on February 29, 1940 it stalled and crashed while landing at RAF St Eval and was struck off RAF charge.
General Aircraft Monospar ST-25 Jubilee G-ADWH was built at Hanworth in 1935 and appears to have remained with its parent company until it was sold in France as F-AQAD in May 1937. The ST-25 was powered by two 90 h.p. Pobjoy Niagara II radial engines.
This formation photograph of Hawker Demons includes K3776 and K3790, both delivered to the RAF during the second half of 1934.
A good formation photograph of Hawker Demon K3776.
A Hawker Demon gunner’s view of another Demon, closing in fast. The Demon was armed with twin Vickers guns forward and a single Lewis gun aft. The type entered RAF service with 23 Sqn.
The first British-registered example of the successful Beech 17 was Amy Mollison’s early, Jacobs-powered B-17L, G-ADDH, pictured here at Castle Bromwich in February 1936. Registered in June the previous year, the Beech was flown extensively until it was damaged beyond repair following a landing at Orpington, Kent, on October 21, 1936.
Mignet H.M.14 Pou-du-Ciel (we called them Flying Fleas) G-ADPV was built by E. G. Perman Ltd at their Mews premises in Gray's Inn Road in London. Built for E. W. Cavendish, 'PV was fitted with a 25 h.p. Scott Squirrel and is almost certainly seen here at its Heston base. Perman built 11 Fleas at the time; powerplants included the Anzani and the firm’s own Perman-Ford as well as the Squirrel.
L. G. Anderson’s Mongoose-powered Avro 504N G-ADBS was originally RAF machine K1251 and was attached to the RAF College. It was registered to Anderson in April 1935 but was lost in a crash at Bodmin, Cornwall, on August 16 that year.
Avro 504N G-AECS began life in RAF colours as J8548, originally attached to the CFS, in 1929. It had a habit of hitting stationary aircraft, first Avro 504K F8813 and then Avro 504N K1050. In 1936 it was sold to L. G. Anderson and later passed to the Christchurch-based Bournemouth Flying School. It was dismantled at Christchurch in 1940.