Air Pictorial 1956-06
-
Air Pictorial's photo-review
One of a small number of Boeing B-17 Flying Fortresses, F-BGOE, a B- 17G is used by the Institute Geographique Nationale for photosurvey overseas. Base is at Criel.
BIRDCAGE DAKOTA. Extraordinary things sometimes bedeck aeroplanes, but none can be stranger than this selection of geophysical detection devices on top and each side of G-AMYW, a Dakota 4 (ex-44-76688/1945). Note also the "stinger" behind tail. This Hunting Aerosurveys, Ltd. Dakota will operate in Africa. Our thanks to the many readers who sent in photographs of it.
CIVILIAN HRP's. Rick Helicopters, Inc., are operating the first civilian-registered Piasecki (Vertol) ex-U.S. Navy HRP-1s and -2s. They are engaged on evaluation as crop dusters and fire protection for the Californian Forestry Service. They have restricted C.S of A.
A fabric-stripped HRP-1 N76V.
CIVILIAN HRP's. Rick Helicopters, Inc., are operating the first civilian-registered Piasecki (Vertol) ex-U.S. Navy HRP-1s and -2s. They are engaged on evaluation as crop dusters and fire protection for the Californian Forestry Service. They have restricted C.S of A.
N961 is an HRP-2 Rescuer of 1948. Seats ten .
First civilian Northrop F-15A Reporter, ex-U.S.A.F. and now surplus to N.A.C.A. Laboratory requirements. Currently at San Jose Municipal Airport undergoing Restricted Certification overhaul and modification for high-altitude photo-survey duties.
One of four remaining Spitfire P.R.Mk.19s, PS853 - code letter "C" - is operated by Short Brothers' Flying Services Division Meteorological "Thum" Flight at Woodvale, Lancs. P.R . blue overall with black spinner.
A hitherto unpublicised Spanish air force primary trainer is this German Arado Ar 66C (240-h.p. Argus As10C inverted-Vee in-line), being refuelled, with the Rock of Gibraltar in the background. Note novel step-mount for tailplane.
Ageless! Celebrating 22nd birthday is the prototype (c/n. 6250) D.H.89 Dragon Six (Rapide), ex-"E-4" ; CH-287; HB-ARA and now HB-APA of Motorfluggruppe, Zurich.
Last remaining example of the eighteen-seat Caproni Ca. 148 trimotor (460-h.p. Piaggio Stella VII R.C.s), a colonial development of the Ca.133 of the 1930s, is owned by the Aero Club d'Italia - this accounts for the apt civil registration, I-AECI.
Odd! Photographed in Canada, the inscription on the cowl of this D.H.87B (serial 5600) reads: "Royal Air Force Transport Command, North Bay."
One of three remaining Percival Q-6s on the British Register, G-AEYE (c/n. Q.20), was built in 1937. May be seen at Croydon Airport. Has white top decking.
Unusual combination Bucker Bu 133 Jungmeister-type cowling over the 150-h.p. Siemens Sh 14A radial of a normally uncowled Focke-Wulf Fw 44(F) Steiglitz.
Beautifully-preserved, pre-war Stinson Model SR-5 (c/n. 9221) N13847 seen in front of a Canadian Grumman Mallard, CF-HAV.
Reader J. G. Lee of Brighton. Sussex. wants to know if you can put a name to this Hungarian-registered (HA-UBI) two-seat glider tug. Contemporary British references do not mention it. Period, mid-1930s.
Yet another U.S. crop duster, the modified New Standard D-25A (N149M) with 450-h.p. Wright R-975-11 .
Experimental N201A is the Lawrence Farnham FC-1 Fly-Cycle (c/n. 1) seen here without engine mounted. Built at Fort Collins, Col., the FC-1 is "ridden like a motorcycle."
Even if the weatherproof covering hides the enclosed cockpit of N19131, the rest of the shape adds up to a 1937 F-46 (Clark Duramould) built by Fairchild with in-line Ranger exchanged for P. & W. Wasp radial.