Main recognition feature of the Scapa was the angular radiators at the rear of the engine nacelles. The flying-boat was powered by a pair of 525 h.p. Rolls-Royce Kestrels.
The prototype Scapa with an 18in torpedo mounted on a cradle amidships for transit purposes - a spare engine could be similarly carried.
Close-up of the Scapa’s beautifully cowled Rolls-Royce Kestrel IIIMS engine.
The prototype Supermarine Scapa, S1648, was originally known as the Southampton Mk IV.
This view of the prototype Scapa shows the clean, uncluttered installation of the two Kestrel engines, slung well forward on the upper wings with the radiators rather spoiling the attractive lines at the rear of the nacelles.
View of the Scapa prototype, S1648. Defensive armament consisted of three 0.303in Lewis machine guns - one in the bow and two amidships.
Sequence of pictures showing how a spare Kestrel was manhandled to and from a boat with the aid of a block and tackle, a handful of chaps and the Scapa's own derrick.
The first production Scapa, K4191, served with Nos 204 and 240 Squadrons following trials with the MAEE.
Scapa K4200, last of the first batch of ten delivered to the RAF in 1935, was bst following a collision with HMS Brazen while taking off from Alexandria in November the same year.