Aeroplane Monthly 1987-10
-
H.Scanlan - Rapide to the Isles
BEA Islander Class Dragon Rapide G-AFEZ Lord Shaftesbury, used on the corporation's Scottish, Scilly and Channel Islands route.
Rapide G-AIYR plying her trade.
Evocative picture of D. H. Dragon Rapide G-AIYR on finals to the easterly runway at Land’s End in 1977 - with the author at the controls. Land’s End Airport (St Just) was opened in September 1937, though Olley Air Service's D. H. Dragons used the site as early as 1935, Capt Olley having purchased land between Sennen and St Just at that time. The airfield lies five miles west of Penzance, Cornwall.
“The Scillies scattered in an oval pattern across our track... ”, taken from Rapide G-AIYR in 1977 while heading north-east, on the eastern side of the Eastern Isles.
Summer evening from 'YR over Sennen and looking towards the Longships Light - the author was at the controls.
View from BEA scheduled Rapide, about to turn finals for Land's End, August 1959.
The author on finals for Land's End in Rapide G-AIYR, autumn 1977. The “haunted runway" is the reciprocal of this one; down the far slope of moorland. It does not look very steep, but try it!
“There were moments of interest in fog at Land's End ...". Rapide G-AKZB Lord Baden Powell has a spot of bother. Nobody was hurt.