POTEZ 542 - Originally a bomber but later used for communications and transport duties by the Vichy French in North Africa, this Potez 542 carries the Cross of Lorraine on the fin (Free French) and "Invasion" stripes on wings and rear fuselage. As a result of the North African campaigns the Allies acquired a small number of Potez 542s in November 1942. Power, two 650-h.p. Lorraine Petrel inlines. Span, 72 ft. 6 in., length, 53 ft. 1 3/4 in. Loaded weight, 12,232 lb. Max. speed, 199 m.p.h., cruise, 168 m.p.h.
BOEING MODEL 100-A - Compare these two photographs with that of the rebuilt Model 100-A and it becomes obvious that apart from the fabric-covered wings, nothing remains of the original 1929 "one-off" to the order of tycoon Howard Hughes. The Model 100-A was photographed as a single-seater on 22nd July and as a two-seater four days later. Hughes undertook the redesign and passed the contract work on to Lockheed Aircraft.
The Model 100-A was photographed as a single-seater on 22nd July and as a two-seater four days later. Hughes undertook the redesign and passed the contract work on to Lockheed Aircraft.
FOKKER D.VII (D-IHOT) - A World War I Fokker D.VII single-seat fighter photographed in Germany in 1938 after conversion to two seats. In 1927 the German Huffer Werke modified two D.Vlls - one for the famous pilot Ernst Udet. No performance figures are available.
AERONCAS ALL - Landplane version of the 1931 "Razorback" Aeronca C-3 powered by a 36-h.p. Aeronca E-113 engine. N11291 is one of very few still flying in the U.S.A. and is owned by Peter M. Bowers of Seattle, Wash., who also took the photograph. Compare with next photo of a 1930 "Razorback" Aeronca C-2 (G-ABHE) converted into an A.T.C. glider during the war.
A 1930 "Razorback" Aeronca C-2 (G-ABHE) converted into an A.T.C. glider during the war.
BRISTOL TYPE 84 BLOODHOUND - The Bloodhound was an experimental two-seat fighter biplane of composite wood and metal construction. powered by a 436-h.p. Bristol Jupiter V engine. It first flew on 8th June, 1925, and although it did not go into production was subsequently used for various engine tests, and in 1926 made a series of flights between Filton and Croydon totalling 25,074 miles in a flying time of 225 hours 54 minutes, without any engine parts having to be changed. Span, 40 ft.. length, 26 ft. 6 ins. Weight loaded, 4,236 lb. Speed, 122 m.p.h.