The fourth D.H.50, built in 1924 as G-AUAB for service in Australia, where it became VH-UAB. Re-engined in November 1942 with a P&W Wasp, it is seen here serving with the RAAF in New Guinea shortly before acquiring the serial A.10-1 in 1943.
A pre-war photograph of the third C.40 Rota II, which was written off at Odiham in April 1940 after brief service in France.
Externally similar to the RAF’s Rota Is, this Avro-built C.30A, DR623, flew as G-ACWH until impressed in June 1941. It is here in the markings of No 529 Sqn, at Hethel, Norfolk, in 1943. Surviving the war, it reverted to civil use as G-AHLE until 1947.
Ex-RAF, the Tiger Moth NZ859 acquired a coupe top in New Zealand and served with the Air Training Corps Touring Flight.
The classic lines of the Tiger Moth, displayed by A17-565, one of the 1,085 D.H.82As built in Australia. Inset: The Tiger Moth BB704 was built as G-ADGF and impressed in 1940 for service with No 6 EFTS, subsequently acquiring the anti-spinning strakes on the rear fuselage (Mod 112) shown here in a 1949 photograph when it was serving with No 21 EFTS.
One of the 136 Canadian-built Menasco Moths, 4923 is a Mk II version. The cockpit enclosure was standard on Tiger Moths used by the RCAF.
Camouflaged Queen Bee L5894 is prepared for catapult launch - apparently at RAE Farnborough - in the presence of the Prime Minister, Winston Churchill.
The second of 87 Dragons built in Australia for use as radio/navigation trainers by the RAAF, known locally as Dragon Mk IIIs.
The A34 series allotted to the D.H.84 Dragon included eleven impressed civilian aircraft. A further eighty seven were built in Australia between 1942/43 for R.A.A.F. radio and navigational training.
Puss Moth G-AEIV shortly after its impressment in March 1941 and before acquiring the serial DP853.
Leopard Moth BD148, at Colerne in August 1945, was G-ACMA before impressment and was restored as such in 1946.
Fox Moth G-ACFJ in a post-war photograph, after surviving the war in storage.
The second Moth to carry the serial J9107 was this D.H.60M which replaced an earlier Cirrus-engined example and was used at Gosport by No 769 Sqn for deck-landing training in the final months of 1939.