Last of the many... MF628 in Bomber Command colours in the static at Abingdon for the Review of the RAF, June 1968.
View of MF628 on a rare sortie outside its storage hangar at Biggin Hill, probably in 1964.
The world’s ‘other’ Wellington, T.10 MF628, displayed at the RAF Museum, Hendon.
The Mk X saw the rebirth of the Wellington. Pre-delivery pose of Hawarden-built LP700 which entered service with 303 Ferry Training Unit at Talbenny which later became 3 Overseas Aircraft Delivery Unit. LP700 was struck off charge in May 1945 in the Mediterranean theatre.
T.10 MF628 carrying the codes ‘FFK-B’ of 1 Air Navigation School, Hullavington.
T.10 NA928 in full guise, complete with ‘Trainer’ bands. Also Hawarden-built, it saw no service as a B.X and was stored until converted by Boulton Paul. In its new role it served with the Empire Central Flying School at Hullavington, the Handling Squadron at Boscombe Down and finally 1 Air Navigation School, also at Hullavington. One of the last ‘Wimpeys’ flying with the RAF, it was sold as scrap on December 30, 1953.
T.10 MF628 at the ‘Fifty Years of Flying’ display at Hatfield on June 14, 1953. Note that the fuel jettison pipes on the underside of the wings have been removed.
‘R-Robert’ leaves the waters of Loch Ness, September 21, 1985. Suddenly, the world had two surviving ‘Wimpeys’.
The RAF replaced the Wellington T.10 with another Vickers product, the Valetta T.3. WJ467 joined 201 Advanced Flying School at Swinderby in March 1952 and later served with 6 Air Navigation School al Lichfield. It was converted to a T.4 radar trainer 1955-57 and joined 228 Operational Conversion Unit at Iteming from mid-1957. It was destroyed in a crash near Leaning on August 6, 1958.