Aeroplane Monthly 1973-07
This B-29 was photographed by J. M. Kucera, who used to be a flight engineer on the type during' the 1945 Guam-Honshu fire runs.
Fertile Myrtle never dropped bombs in anger and the cockpit shot is of the noncombat version, showing pilot, copilot and bombardier stations.
The photograph, taken facing rearwards from the bombardier’s position, shows the forward pressure hatch leading to the forward bomb bay. Above this is the tunnel leading to the rear crew stations behind the bomb bays. No crew member was permitted to use this tunnel while the aircraft was pressurized, lest sudden explosive decompression turned him into a projectile.
A line-up of "C” Flight DH9A trainers at Abu Sueir. This picture, showing the Flight’s star symbol, came from Peter Green.
Doug Arnold’s Noorduyn AT-16 Harvard, G-AZKI, flown by Ray Hanna.
Mr A. J. Savage of Cheltenham sent this picture of severely "bent” Avro 504K ER1772, displaying the markings of "D" Flight, No. 4 FTS.
The Army’s "Blue Eagles" team seen rehearsing in the vicinity of the Needles during an outing from HQ at Middle Wallop. Apart from this technicolour pollution demonstration these Westland-built Siouxs are employed on spotting and reconnaissance duties.
Persian Audax
Persian Audax
Persian Audax
A last look at a lone Rothmans Stampe, now, like its sister aircraft, superseded by the team's set of Pitts Specials.
On May 7, 1934, this D.H.84 Dragon I flew the first Dyce-Orkney service for Highland Airways. Tom Hamill photographed the same aircraft loitering over Bedfordshire thirty-five years later.
Only two Junkers G-38s were built in Germany, the example on photo, D-2000, later D-AZUR Deutschland, being the first. There was room for 34 passengers on two levels.
OVERHEAD: This view gives a very good idea of the plan form of the Junkers G.38.
THE ESCORT: The Junkers G.38, with more powerful engines and a "storey" added to her fuselage, accompanied the "Graf Zeppelin."
The machine originally had petrol engines but has now been fitted with four Junkers diesels. The neat cowling of these large engines is shown in the picture.
Both Actives at the 1932 King’s Cup Air Race.
G-ABVE at the Cardiff races in June 1961.
At Redhill in 1970.
’VE banking at Cardiff in 1961.
Tony Featherston’s Lake Amphibian at Elstree with American marks N202SL visible under temporary markings before repainting.
Robin HR.100 Royal 210 being loaded onto a lighter at Tilbury on its way to the Plane Show on the South Bank