Aeroplane Monthly 1978-07
-
A.Jackson - Avro 504N /RAF Piston Trainers/ (2)
Lynx-engined trials aircraft F2575, with streamlined front fuselage and external elevator controls, was Avro’s exhibit at the Prague Aero Show, May-June 1924.
504K conversion H2995, two production 504Ns, J9703 and J9256, and the Hawker Horsleys of the aptly numbered 504 Squadron at Hucknall in 1932.
A famous shot of 504N K1244 of the CFS, Wittering, with the blind flying hood pulled over the rear cockpit, June 1931.
504K conversion H2995, two production 504Ns, J9703 and J9256, and the Hawker Horsleys of the aptly numbered 504 Squadron at Hucknall in 1932.
A line-up of Cambridge University Air Squadron 504Ns.
A lively study of F8713, a 504K conversion serving with Cambridge University Air Squadron.
Another group from the Cambridge University Air Squadron, this trio comprises H9816 (a conversion), J8546 and J8746.
K1813 during deck landing trials in 1931.
The Mongoose-powered Avro 504R variant J9175/G-EBUY at Martlesham in 1929.
Avro's development aircraft, G-EAJB, with skid and oleo undercarriage and tapered ailerons, at Filton in 1921 as a Lucifer testbed.
Lucifer-powered J733, the first of two 504N evaluation prototypes supplied to the Air Ministry in 1924.
A standard “Lynx-Avro”, showing the two 18gal underwing fuel tanks and the undercarriage suspension.
Three 504Ns of 601 Squadron, Auxiliary Air Force, in dark colour schemes. J8703 and J9420 are nearest.
Avro 504N of E Flight C.F.S. Wittering 1931