Dan-Air de Havilland Comet 4B G-APYD lands at Wroughton, near Swindon, on November 1, 1979, on delivery to the Science Museum’s storage facility.
On September 30, 1979 Capt Jock Cameron flew 998 souvenir covers from Gatwick to Croydon and back in JetRanger G-AWGU to mark the closure of Croydon Airport 20 years before.
Supermarine Spitfire XVI TB752. This aircraft flew during the war with Nos 66 and 403 (RCAF) Sqns, and scored a total of four kills. It spent 23 years in the open as a gate guardian before being restored and permanently housed at RAF Manston.
An appeal for funds to house Spitfire MK XVI TB752 has been launched. Recently completely restored by the Medway branch of the Royal Aeronautical Society, it has now been given the markings of 66(F) Squadron, with whom it served in 1945. Contributions, endorsed "Spitfire Fund," can be sent to the Officer Commanding, RAF Mansion, Kent.
Strathallan’s Westland Lysander, now serialled V9441 and resplendent in the colours of No 309 (Polish) Squadron, RAF, was due to make its maiden flight as we went to press.
The Hon Patrick Lindsay's Sopwith Triplane reproduction, G-BHEW/“N5430,” made its debut at a meeting at Wycombe Air Park on November 11, 1979. Built by Personal Plane Services, it is powered by a 160 h.p. Siemens engine, and should fly early in 1980.
Lockheed Hudson VH-AGX, ex A16-122 of the RAAF, was badly damaged in a take-off accident at Horn Island in December 1973. It has now been acquired by Bob Eastgate, who has obtained a new nose and cockpit section and plans to return it to airworthy condition.