Doug Arnold's recently acquired B-17F, ex F-BEEC, which is now aptly registered G-FORT, photographed at Blackbushe in mid-June 1984.
The other airworthy Flying Fortress in Britain is, of course, B-17 Sally B. She now sports a new overall olive drab scheme, which has been applied at a cost of £7,000 to protect her ageing aluminium skin. A sponsor is being sought. The markings represent a B-17G of the 709th Bombardment Squadron, 447th Bombardment Group, based at Rattlesden, Suffolk, early in 1945.
Stephen Grey's Spitfire IX G-BJSG/ML417 took part in the D-Day celebrations across the Channel wearing its new World War Two colour scheme. It is seen here at Booker after its return.
Consolidated Canso water-bomber C-GFFO, one of three leased from The Flying Firemen Ltd of Victoria. British Columbia, by the Ontario Ministry of Natural Resources, crashed about 11km north of Thunder Bay Airport, Ontario, Canada, on Monday May 14, 1984, following apparent engine failure during the first training run of the fire season. The two pilots escaped with minor cuts and bruises when the cockpit was severed from the fuselage. The aircraft had flown less than 8,000hr since restoration.
Shuttleworth's Cierva C.30, G-AHMJ/K4235, is seen at Old Warden on June 14, 1984, shortly before it was removed by road for temporary display in the Army Air Museum at Middle Wallop. Ken Hyde, who is responsible for most of the restoration work on this static exhibit, is seen far right.
As reported in our June issue, Shuttleworth's Hawker Hind now wears the colours of XV Squadron, RAF, and carries the serial number K5414. Our photograph shows the Hind returning from RAF Mildenhall on June 10 with John Lewis piloting.
D.H.88 Comet G-ACSS photographed at RAE Farnborough on June 14, 1984. The first post-restoration flight, to be made from Farnborough, is expected to take place early in 1986.