Sopwith 1F1 Camel D.3333, probably serving with the RNAS, upside down, with another Camel in right background. Built by Clayton & Shuttleworth Ltd at Lincoln, it was one of 575 Camels licence-built by the company. The photograph was possibly taken in Belgium.
De Havilland D.H.4 bomber B7747, powered by a RAF3a engine, was a rebuild by No I (Southern) Aircraft Repair Depot, South Farnborough. Sqn Ldr Curtis crashed it on the Doullens-Arras Road near Bellevue Aerodrome, France, on February 16, 1918, when he was serving with 49 Squadron RFC. The unit's "dumbell” symbol appears on the fuselage side. Cause of the accident was faulty rigging, which made it "vitally necessary" to fly straight ahead. "If wheel brakes had been fitted" adds Sqn Ldr Curtis, "they would have been helpful."
D.H.4 A7469, also possibly crashed in Belgium. Built by the Aircraft Manufacturing Co Ltd at Hendon, it was one of a batch of 690 ordered for the RFC.
Royal Aircraft Factory R.E.8 reconnaissance biplane E239 "S", built by The Siddeley-Deasy Motor Co Ltd of Coventry, has lines attached in preparation for the righting ceremony. The usual R.E.8 powerplant was the 140 h.p. RAF4a.
Handley Page O/400 D8340 after a cross-wind landing at Castle Bromwich in March 1919. Miraculously the pilot and five passengers escaped unhurt. This O/400 was built by the British Caudron Co at Cricklewood and had a pair of 360 h.p. Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII engines.
Another Brisfit from Lt Walker's collection, this time F5812 "A", probably a rebuilt aircraft, fitted with the more usual Rolls-Royce Falcon engine.
Almost certainly from the serial batch D2626-2775, this Bristol F.2B Fighter, built by Marshall & Sons of Gainsborough, is an example of the variant powered by a 200 h.p. Sunbeam Arab engine. Unfortunately the Squadron is unknown, but the pictures originally belonged to Lt J. Walker, RFC.
A fine detail study of the Arab installation.
Avro 504A 4034, fitted with an 80 h.p. Gnome rotary engine, prepares to have its propeller swung outside the Bleriot works, Brooklands, Circa 1915. It is not certain whether this machine was built as new at the Bleriot factory or if it was a rebuild.
"One of the best” is our contributor’s comment to this picture of Sopwith Pup A7317, built by the Standard Motor Co Ltd of Coventry. Doubtless many ex-RFC types will share this view, as the Pup had a reputation for good handling qualities. Power was provided by an 80 h.p. Le Rhone rotary.