Dick Day’s reproduction Sopwith Camel, bearing the markings of B6313, flown by First World War Canadian Ace Major W.G.Barker. Photographed in the vicinity of Old Rhinebeck, New York.
Ihe F.D.2, was the last fixed-wing aircraft built by the Fairey Company. The prototype, WG774, first flew at A&AEE Boscombe Down on October 6, 1954. On November 17, 1954, the aircraft suffered engine failure during a test flight but was successfully landed back at Boscombe by Twiss, the resulting damage not being serious. The pilot was awarded the Queen’s Commendation for Valuable Service in the air. Twiss shattered the World Speed Record in the F.D.2 on March 10, 1956, with a speed of 1,132 m.p.h., 310 m.p.h. faster than the record held by a US F-100C Super Sabre. The second F.D.2, WG777, had first flown on February 15, 1956, exceeding Mach 1.0 during this initial flight. Tests continued with the RAE and WG774 was later fitted with an ogival wing, becoming the BAC-221 for Concorde wing research. WG777 went into store at RAF Topcliffe for eventual exhibition in the RAF Museum.