MB.5 сразу после изготовления с первоначальным вариантом оперения
The second of the F.18/39 prototypes was completed by Martin-Baker during 1944 as the M.B.5, and was first flown in the form shown here, with a tail unit (vertical and horizontal surfaces) identical with that of the M.B.3. The fin and rudder were enlarged soon after the first flight, the tailplane some time later.
The M.B.5 in the form in which it was tested at the A & AEE Boscombe Down early in 1945. The enlarged fin and rudder are obvious, but the original M.B.3-type tailplane is still fitted here.
In its final form, the M.B.5 had an enlarged tailplane, as well as the larger fin and rudder. In this view, the main wheels are just being retracted and can be seen under the wing ahead of the radiator intake.
Кабина MB.5 во время сборки
The cockpit of the M.B.5 incorporated a number of James Martin's innovations. The control column and rudder bar were a single unit, removable in one piece for repair and servicing, and the front panels hinged down in three pieces into the cockpit to give access to the backs of the instruments. As shown, almost the whole of the fuselage skin comprised detachable panels.
The upper side view depicts the M.B.5 as first flown and the other three views show the final form of the aircraft, including a small revision of the lower sill of the windscreen quarter lights.
The first of the three prototypes ordered from Martin-Baker to Specification F.18/39, the ill-fated M.B.3 is shown here in August 1942 in the form in which it first flew and, less than two weeks later, crashed.
Before being moved to RAF Wing for its first flight, the M.B.3 was photographed at Denham - where it had been built with the designed armament of six 20-mm cannon