Aeroplane Monthly 1987-08
-
A.Lumsden, T.Heffernan - Per Mare Probare (5)
Another view of N10, which Fairey bought back from the Admiralty after the Armistice and registered G-EALQ for use as a racing and communications aircraft. It is seen here being taxied by Lt-Col Vincent Nicholl at Cowes before the 1919 Schneider Trophy contest.
Fairey IIID N9464 (c/n F.358) was one of the first production batch, ordered by the Air Ministry to Specification 38/22. Originally fitted with Rolls-Royce Eagle VIII engines, the aircraft of this batch were later converted to the more usual powerplant for the type, the Napier Lion.
The Fairey IIIB, with its long upper wing overhangs, was designed as a bomber to fulfil Admiralty Specification N.2(b).
The Fairey IIIC was the first recognisable ancestor of the IIIF. Although too late to see service during World War One, the variant operated with the North Russian Expeditionary Force from Archangel in 1919.
The Sunbeam Maori-powered F.128 seaplane, more commonly known by its serial number, N10.
This view of a Hamble Baby shows the type's full-span camber-changing flap - a device patented by Fairey and used on most of the company's biplanes until the late Thirties.
Fairey IIIF Mk III, S1795, of the School of Naval Co-operation, taking off from Lee-on-Solent in February 1933. The school used the type for the training of observers and telegraphist air gunners, and for target-towing.
The Napier Lion-powered prototype Fairey IIIF, N198. It was first flown, as a landplane, on March 19, 1926, and was fitted with floats the following month.
One of the IIIF’s antecedents was the Fairey Campania. First flown in 1917, it was the first true Fairey type to be built in any numbers.
The F.2 was the first aircraft both designed and built by the Fairey company. The one-and-only prototype is seen here after assembly at Harlington in 1917.
The all-metal framed Fairey Ferret, of which three prototypes were built.