Aeroplane Monthly 1987-05
-
J.Meadows - The Auxiliary Tradition (2)
603 Sqn pilots with a Spitfire XVI at Turnhouse in 1947. John Sowrey (adjutant) is at far right; the author is second from right.
Flypast of nine 600 Sqn Spitfire 22s over RAF Biggin Hill on October 1, 1949 on the occasion of the unit's first inspection by the Queen.
600 Squadron’s CO, Sqn Ldr Norman Hayes, flying his weatherbeaten Spitfire 21 during the 1948 RAF Thorney Island summer camp.
Spitfire F.21 LA328 of 600 Sqn up from Thorney Island in June 1946. The post war code RAG was used for the Reserve Command period until the squadron was transferred to Fighter Command.
October 1, 1949, Biggin Hill: first inspection by Queen Elizabeth, as Honorary Air Commodore, of 600 (City of London) Squadron. Left to right, Fg Off Keith Hazelwood, author, Air Cdre Akerman, HM (wearing squadron badge), Sqn Ldr David Proudlove, LAC Rogers with author's Spitfire 22.
Sqn Ldr David E. Proudlove, who succeeded Sqn Ldr Norman Hayes as CO of 603 Sqn in July 1948. Proudlove served with 91 Sqn for much of the war.
A trio of 603 Sqn Spitfire 22s at RAF Turnhouse. The squadron operated 22s from June 1948 until July 1951, by which time the first Vampire FB.5s had arrived.
603 Sqn pilots and Spitfire 22 at summer camp, Tangmere, 1948. Hector Monro is in front of the left wheel with "Sheep" Gilroy on his right, and the author is second from left.