SP-ABC Celina, the last Fokker F.VIIb-3m built for LOT by Plage & Laskiewicz. The route board under the cabin windows shows that it was operating between Warsaw and Bucharest.
This view of the PZL 44 shows the unorthodox flight deck fenestration.
POLISH TRANSPORT: Designed to replace the American machines which are at present used by LOT, the P.Z.L. company's new Wicher transport has a maximum speed of about 235 m.p.h. with two Wright Cyclone G.2 engines. When a crew of 4 with 14 passengers and the usual luggage load are carried the range is given as 1,100 miles. In general appearance the machine is an interesting cross between the D.C. 2 and the Lockheed 14 - both of them types which are in service with LOT.
PZL-44 (Panstwowe Zaklady Lotnicze - State Aircraft Factory). The PZL-44 Wicher was intended as a replacement for the Douglas DC-2 and Lockheed Model 12A and Model 14 Super Electra transports operated by P.L.L. LOT just before World War II. The Polish national airline issued a specification calling for a fourteen-passenger (four-crew, including captain, co-pilot, radio operator and steward) airliner which resulted in the Wicher designed by W. Jakimuk and built at the PZL-WP.NI works at Okecie, near Warsaw. The first flight took place on 20th March 1937, and subsequent flight evaluation was carried out at the I.B.T.L. establishment in Warsaw during the latter half of 1938. Of ail-metal construction, the sole prototype, PZL-44 (latterly registered SP-WHR), was powered by two 850-h.p. Skoda-Wright Cyclones, although for the production models the more powerful 1,000-h.p. Wright GR-1820-G2 radials had been planned. Every modern flying and navigational aid and passenger-comfort device was installed, including such items as efficient de-icing, hydraulically-operated dual controls, Sperry autopilot and "climatised" cabin conditions, thus making the PZL-44 one of the most promising pre-war airliners ever built. When war broke out for Poland on 1st September 1939 the evaluation testing ceased after the prototype had logged some two hundred flying hours, latterly by Polish airline pilots. With a span of 78 ft. 1 3/4 in., length 60ft. 7 in., and height 15 ft. 7 3/4 in., the PZL-44 had an a.u.w. of 23,100 lb,, giving a normal range of 1,140 miles, or five hours' duration at cruising speed (62.5 per cent power) of 211.2 m.p.h. at 13,120 ft. Maximum speed 234 m.p.h. at 6,560 ft. in English "Wicher" means Tempest or Storm.
Prototype and the only example Polish PWS-54 (SP-AHY) on the snow-covered aerodrome during the winter 1932'33. Note ringed insigne of P.L.L. LOT on the fin.
Этот самолет с регистрацией SP-AGR - прототип P.W.S.24. В 1935 году он и три других самолета были переоборудованы для проведения аэрофотосъемки.
The prototype PWS 24.T after receiving the improved undercarriage and fuselage decking.
PWS 24.T Roman in LOT livery. The PWS-24.T was the precursor of the PWS-52.T. First flown In 1931, the PWS-24.T was initially powered by a 220-h.p. Skoda-Wright Whirlwind as shown in the photograph of the first prototype SP-AGR. Designed to seat six passengers and crew, the PWS-24.T was operated by P.L.L. LOT - Polish Airline on the feeder route from Warsaw to Posnan. Experience showed that with a full complement the Whirlwind - PWS-24.T was underpowered, and the Wrights were replaced by the higher-powered 420-h.p, Pratt & Whitney Wasp Junior radial. Performance was improved to give a cruising speed of 110 m.p.h. and maximum speed of 139.5 m.p.h., for an a.u.w. of 4.800 lb. Service ceiling 11,400 ft. Some PWS-24.Ts retained the lower-powered Whirlwind and served as crew trainers and for aerial-mapping duties undertaken by P.L.L. LOT on behalf of the Government. The colour scheme was all-silver with navy-blue trimming and black lettering, including the airline badge on the fin.
The sole example of the PWS 21bis.
KEITH WOODCOCK’S painting depicts LOT’s PWS 24 Jozek.
Самолет Lublin IX так и не был востребован национальным авиаперевозчиком Польши.
The Lublin R-IX with an R-X in the background.
The Lublin R-IX with an R-X in the background.
Единственный построенный Lublin R-XI был показан во время прохождения заводских летных испытаний в начале 1930 года.
The Lublin R-XI, designed along Fokker lines to fulfil a LOT specification for a four/five seater passenger and mail aircraft.
The PWS 20.T after being fitted with a wheeled undercarriage.
The prototype Lublin R-XVIB ambulance SP-AKP, which first flew in the spring of 1933.
This view of the R-XVIB SP-AKP shows the upward-opening door for the loading of stretchers.
The unsuccessful Gipsy-engined PZL 27.