A two-seat conversion of the Spitfire IX made in the Soviet Union by the No 1 Aircraft Depot. Leningrad, in 1945.
With ex-Sqn Ldr John Houlton in the rear seat, Carolyn Grace takes ex-D-Day Spitfire IX ML407 into the air at Duxford on April 29, 1994.
Classic Charles E. Brown photograph of the all-yellow prototype Spitfire Trainer. A conversion from a standard Mk VIII (MT818) in 1946, this aircraft was flown as G-AIDN for nearly 40 years. In 1986 it was sold in the USA.
The prototype Tr.8 two-seat trainer, MT818, seen here wearing its B-Conditions marking N32. It was later put on the British civil register as G-AIDN and survives today with the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar.
The first two-seat Spitfire, N.32, shortly after conversion in 1946.
The Supermarine Spitfire Two-seat Advanced Trainer (1,325 h.p. Rolls-Royce Merlin 66 engine).
At the 1946 SBAC Show, Farnborough
The Mk VIII MT818 converted by Supermarine to the prototype Spitfire Trainer.
Опытная спарка "Спитфайр" VIII
Spitfire Trainer 8, G-AIDN began life as the single seat Mk VIII MT818 and became the prototype Type 502 Trainer 8 in 1947. 'DN is seen here at Yeovilton in June 1974 during joint ownership with Tim Davies and John Fairey.
July 22, 1974. Tim Davies, with Raymond Baxter behind, poses G-AIDN for Richard Wilson’s camera.
In the navy blue paint scheme of the early 1970s
Taken over Staverton in 1969
At Lympne in August 1947 ’DN competed in the High Speed Handicap race with a Fury, Vampire, Firebrand and a couple of Fireflies.
At the 1948 SBAC Show, Farnborough
Supermarine Type 509 Spitfire Trainer 8 G-AVAV/MJ772 seen taking off from Elstree in August 1967. Initially a single seater with the RAF, MJ772 was converted into a trainer and served with the Irish Air Corps, as No 158, before being sold to Tony Samuelson at Elstree in 1966. After an extensive rebuild, G-AVAV remained at Elstree in company with the owner's Hurricane G-AWLW. Both flew for the Battle of Britain film and were subsequently sold to Sir William Roberts to form the nucleus of the Strathallan Collection.
Former Irish Air Corps Tr.9 G-AVAV was one of the two-seaters used for the filming of Battle of Britain. Flying a two-seat Spitfire from the rear seat was not ideal in terms of the pilot’s field of view, but certainly possible in the hands of an experienced pilot. This aircraft also still survives today with the Biggin Hill Heritage Hangar.
Индийский "Спитфайр" Mk.IX из летной школы в Хакимпеде, переделанный там в учебный самолет
Beautifully restored by Don Plumb of Windsor, Ontario, this Spitfire Trainer now carries its original RAF serial number TE308 and typical RAF colours, although it never served in the RAF as two-seater. After conversion to a trainer by Supermarine, it went to the Irish Air Force as 162, subsequently appearing on the British register as G-AWGB for the film "Battle of Britain".
Another Spitfire Tr.9, this time one of three attending Oshkosh in August 1987. The owner of TE308 is Bill Greenwood, of Aspen, Colorado.
Nick Grace and the author taxy out to take off from White Waltham. Leslie & Godwin, the aviation insurance company, has sponsored the Spitfire for the 1987 airshow season.
Nick Grace and the author wing their way over the Berkshire countryside under a weak winter sun. Inset, the author proves that six foot three into four feet six will not go - not at first, anyway.
Are you all right? Nick Grace, owner and restorer of Spitfire Tr 9 ML407/G-LFIX, reassures the author, wedged into the rear seat of the Spitfire.
Two-seat Spitfire PV202/G-TRIX owned by Richard Parker, carries No. 412 Squadron colours and markings and is based at Dunsford
Nick Grace’s newly-restored Spitfire T.9 two-seat trainer, G-LFIX, at St Merryn on April 16, 1985, with Dick Melton running the engine up for final checks before the test flight.
Charles Church’s two-seat Supermarine Spitfire Tr.9 at his Hampshire base on August 1, 1987. Its first post-restoration flight took place on July 25.
Спарка "Спитфайра" на испытаниях в НИИ ВВС
The rounded rudder and the early style of the mainwheel legs/covers suggest that this must have been an early LF.IX two-seater conversion. The unmistakable hexagonal pattern of the apron situates this shot at the NII VVS. Note that the armament has been removed, and that the spinner sports a rather faded star emblem.
"Спарка" на базе "Спитфайра"
A Spitfire IX converted to a two-seat trainer after delivery to the Soviet Air Force
Двухместная учебная "девятка", предназначенная для голландских ВВС
The first Spitfire Trainers in service were those of the Dutch Air Force. They were ferried from England by pilots of 322 Sqn. Seen here is H-99, on its maiden flight over Holland with the C-in-C of the Dutch Air Force as one of the crew early in 1948.
Учебный "Спитфайр" голландских ВВС - участник "полицейских акций" в Индонезии.
Two-seat Spitfire Mk 8 G-AIDN/MT818 suffered a landing accident at Coventry, Baginton, Airport on February 6, 1978 when its undercarriage collapsed, badly damaging the aircraft. Peter Bayliss, the pilot, and his passenger escaped unharmed.
Rearward-cockpit Spitfires. The evolution of a speculative idea...