SOMETHING MISSING. The Hungarian state airline - Magyar Legikozlekedesi Vallalat (MALEV) is now replacing its Russian-built DC-3s (Li-2s) with Il'yushin IL-14P 18-26 seaters. Note the once familiar red star has been omitted from the rudder tricolour.
Another "Lufttaxi" used by East German DLH is the Super Aero 45 or Aero AE.45-S five-seater, also of Czech origin.
Recently "ex-S.America" and temporarily resident in Florida, a "local mod.", cargo-door Boeing B-17G (N9815F);
CF-ICB is one of three B-17s owned by P.S.C., two of which are currently mapping Canada's Arctic archipelago.
SEEING IS BELIEVING. New Zealand provide unusual conversion. This crop-duster Douglas C-47B Dakota (c/n. 33316; ZK/AZL, ex-R.N.Z.A.F. NZ3518 and formerly U.S.A.F. 44-76984) is owned by James Aviation Ltd., and is known as the "Hi Land Duster". Note huge mobile crane and unique loader.
The East German Deutsche Lufthansa operates various charter and taxi aircraft. Of the two Czech-built Avia L.60 Brigadyrs shown, DM-SIA is in four-seat taxi form while DM-SID in the background has a modified rear canopy and external, ventral crop dusting gear displayed. Both are powered by the 210-h.p. Praga Doris B.
At R.N.A.S. Ford, 21st June, an Armstrong Whitworth-built Hawker Sea Hawk FGA. Mk. 6 (WM920) sporting a new F.A.A. grey and white decor.
Another Hum "locum", an R.N. Fairey Firefly TT. Mk. 4 (TW723) with ventral M.L. winch visible.
SEALED AND DELIVERED. In late June at Prestwick, awaiting S.A.L. overhaul and new Luftwaffe insignia, a "rattle of Sabres" - in this case, ex-R.C.A.F. (N.A.T.O.) Canadair CL-13B Sabre Mk. 6s (one 7,275-lb. s.t. Orenda 14). In foreground is "BH092", serial 23092.
WS848, the last NF. Mk. 14 built for the R.A.F. is now flying with the F.C.C.S. at Bovingdon. Delivered to the M.o.S on 9th June 1954 this last NF. Mk. 14 was initially retained at Bitteswell for trials work.
A hitherto not illustrated Royal Navy target-towing TT. Mk. 22 at R.N.A.S. Ford in June. Note serial WM292 is on the lower fin. Wing undersides have "77"," black and yellow diagonal stripes.
On display at Exeter Airport, 28th June, a Boulton Paul Balliol T. Mk. 2 (WG225) now used by No. 3 Civil Anti-Aircraft Co-operation Unit for various training duties.
Now nearly eleven years old, the prototype Handley Page Hermes 2 (VX234; ex-G-AGUB) was built as a research aircraft for the B.O.A.C. Hermes 4. First flown at Radlett, 2nd September 1947, G-AGUB was based at Hum in 1949 for B.O.A.C. trials; and later, as VX234, by the M.o.S. for magnetometer experimentation. Seen here after overhaul at Lasham by Airwork Ltd.
TRANSMOGRIFIED. D-EJON, constructed by Starck Flugzeug-Bav of Minden, was the first German-built Druine D.3 Turbulent ultralight.
Following a crash in November 1956, D-EJON (c/n. 101) has been rebuilt (as c/n. 102) with revised, cutaway rudder, modified fin, and sports a canopy.
SEEING IS BELIEVING. Australia provide unusual conversion. The tail wheel undercarriage Chrislea C.H.3 Srs. 4 Skyjeep (VH-RCD) four-seater now has a deepened rear fuselage.
A rare sight, one of ten M.D.A.P.-supplied Temco TE-1A Buckaroo all-metal, "utility" trainers (one 165-h.p. Franklin 6AF-165-B3) which have been in service with the R. Saudi Arabia A.F. since 1953.
PUDDLE JUMPERS. Ray Stits of Stits Aircraft, W. Riverside Airport, Calif., has provided U.S. amateur builders with a series of attractive ultra-light designs. One of his latest creations is the two-seat SA-7B Skycoupe (c/n. 202) which looks like a miniature Piper Tri-Pacer.
The prototype SA-7B is powered by a 65-h.p. Continental C65. Only the latter is available ex-works and in kit form.
PUDDLE JUMPERS. Ray Stits of Stits Aircraft, W. Riverside Airport, Calif., has provided U.S. amateur builders with a series of attractive ultra-light designs. One of his latest creations is the SA-8A Skeeto (c/n. 301), a single-seat, parasol monoplane. The Skeeto is powered by an 18-h.p. Evinrude outboard motor.