Handley Page Harrow / H.P.54
Страна: Великобритания
Год: 1936


Бомбардировщик или 20-местный транспортный самолет с экипажем из 4 или 5 человек
Описание:
Harrow / H.P.54
Handley Page H.P.54 Harrow
Flight, November 1936
AN EXPANSION BOMBER
Фотографии

Harrow / H.P.54

Дальний бомбардировщик и военно-транспортный самолет. Двухмоторный цельнометаллический подкосный моноплан с двухкилевым оперением. Шасси неубирающееся, в обтекателях. Спроектирован в КБ фирмы "Хэндли-Пейдж" под руководством Г. Лачманна на базе опытного транспортного самолета НР.51. Опытного образца не было. Уже с июня 1936 г. завод "Хэйдли-Пейдж" в Криклвуде начал собирать серийные "Хэрроу" I (HP.54). Головной серийный самолет поднялся в воздух 10 октября. Всего изготовили 100 экз. (в т.ч. 38 экз. типа "Хэрроу" I).
Экипаж - 5 чел., 20 пассажиров. Моторы "Пегасус". Стрелковое вооружение в зависимости от модификации; на части самолетов полностью демонтировано. Бомбовая нагрузка до 910 кг.
Первые самолеты "Хэрроу" поступили в Королевские британские ВВС в январе 1937 г. Один самолет с лета 1940 г. до сентября 1941 г. состоял на вооружении в Канаде.
Серийно выпускались две модификации:
  - "Хэрроу" I с моторами "Пегасус" X (шесть машин впоследствии переоснащены двигателями "Пегасус" XX), вооружение 4x7,9 (пулеметы "Виккерс" или "Льюис");
  - "Хэрроу" II с моторами "Пегасус" XX, выпускался с июля 1937 г., вооружение 4x7,9 (пулеметы только типа "Виккерс").
Обе модификации во время войны переделывались - все вооружение снималось, а носовые и хвостовые стрелковые точки закрывались обтекателями. Этот вариант иногда именовался "Спэрроу".
Первоначально самолетами "Хэрроу" комплектовали бомбардировочные эскадрильи. По мере поступления более современных бомбардировщиков их с сентября 1939 г. передавали в транспортные части, которые начали эксплуатировать "Хэрроу" с мая 1940 г. В октябре того же года один самолет в порядке эксперимента оборудовали системой "Пандора" (LAM) для постановки парашютно-минных заграждений. Одна эскадрилья заградителей "Хэрроу" с декабря 1940 г. участвовала в отражении немецких ночных налетов на Англию. В июле 1941 г. "Хэрроу" в этом качестве заменили американские "бостоны".
Транспортные машины использовали для грузовых и пассажирских перевозок в метрополии, снабжения авиачастей на передовых аэродромах. С июня 1944 г. "Хэрроу" осуществляли перевозки для сил вторжения в Северной Франции. В сентябре того же года они подвозили оружие и боеприпасы десантникам под Арнемом, вывозя обратными рейсами раненых. Аэродром, на котором они базировались, в январе 1945 г. подвергся удару немецкой авиации, семь "Хэрроу" сгорели.
"Хэрроу" II сняли с производства в декабре 1937 г. В большинстве их списали к январю 1945 г., но последняя машина летала до апреля того же года.


"Хэрроу" II||
Размах:||26,9 м
Длина:||25,1 м
Моторы, количество х мощность:||2x925 л.с.
Взлетная масса, максимальная:||10500 кг
Максимальная скорость:||320 км/ч
Практический потолок:||7000 м
Дальность:||2000 км

Handley Page H.P.54 Harrow

Спецификация B.3/34 появилась в эпоху бомбардировщиков-монопланов, она требовала создания для британских ВВС современного двухмоторного самолета для замены Heyford и Vickers Virginia.
  Самолет H.P.54 отличался от Armstrong Whitworth Whitley наличием высокорасположенного крыла и неубирающегося шасси и задумывался изначально для использования в качестве промежуточного бомбардировщика и тренировочного самолета. А позднее, когда в серийное производство будут запущены более совершенные бомбардировщики, его можно было бы использовать как транспортный самолет. Еще до того, как 10 октября 1936 года прототип совершил свой первый полет, сто самолетов Harrow были заказаны по техническому заданию B.29/35. Первые 39 самолетов - вариант Mk I - оснащались двигателями Bristol Pegasus X мощностью 850 л. с., а последующие 61 - вариант Mk II - двигателями Pegasus XX, давшие машине дополнительные 16 км/ч скорости. Первой самолеты получила 214-я эскадрилья в Фелтвелле в январе 1937 года, к концу того же года новыми самолетами были перевооружены четыре эскадрильи. В декабре 1937 года на сотом экземпляре производство бомбардировщиков Harrow было остановлено, но они оставались в эксплуатации до конца Второй мировой войны.
  Новое боевое применение самолеты Harrow получили в качестве "воздушных минных заградителей" - в октябре 1940 года было сформировано 420-е звено для проведения данных экспериментов. Звено получило кодовое имя "Pandora". Данные машины вооружались минами типа LAM (Long Aerial Mine), которые состояли из множества небольших взрывчатых зарядов, подвешенных на парашютах и буксируемых на тросе длиной в 610 м. Предполагалось, что заряды будут взрываться при контакте с вражескими бомбардировщиками. Три месяца испытаний показали, что эта идея на практике труднореализуема, хотя четыре или пять самолетов противника уничтожить удалось.
  В марте 1940 года была сформирована 271-я транспортная эскадрилья, которая была вооружена различными типами самолетов, включая Harrow, и выполняла задания транспортного или исследовательского характера. В феврале 1944 года экипажи Harrow обеспечивали действия союзных войск в Северо-Западной Европе, а месяц спустя было сформировано медикоэвакуационное подразделение, два самолета которого в сентябре 1944 года участвовали в эвакуации раненых бойцов из-под Арнема. Семь самолетов подразделения были потеряны в 1945 году во время новогодней атаки Люфтваффе на авиабазы 2-й тактической Воздушной армии в Европе. В мае 1945 года подразделение было перевооружено на поставленные американцами Douglas Dakota.


ТАКТИКО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ ХАРАКТЕРИСТИКИ

  Handley Page H.P.54 Harrow Mk II

  Тип: бомбардировщик или 20-местный транспортный самолет с экипажем из 4 или 5 человек
  Силовая установка: два звездообразных ПД Bristol Pegasus XX мощностью 925 л. с. (690 кВт)
  Летные характеристики: максимальная скорость на высоте 3048 м - 322 км/ч; крейсерская скорость на высоте 4572 м - 262 км/ч; практический потолок 6949 м; дальность полета 2012 км
  Масса: пустого 6169 кг; максимальная взлетная 10433 кг
  Размеры: размах крыла 26,95 м; длина 25,04 м; высота 5,92 м; площадь крыла 101,26 м2
  Вооружение: четыре 7,7-мм пулемета плюс до 1361 кг бомб

Flight, November 1936

AN EXPANSION BOMBER
First Details of the Handley Page Harrow: Long Range Coupled with Large Military Load: Full Equipment of Defensive Armament: Slots and Flaps

  ONE of the first heavy bombers designed and built under the R.A.F. expansion programme is the Handley Page Harrow, the prototype of which made its tests some time ago; the machine is now in full production at the Handley Page works at Cricklewood, as is also the previous model - a medium bomber.
  It may, perhaps, be recollected that the medium bomber, the H.P.52, is a mid-wing cantilever monoplane, in which an unusual fuselage design provides maximum space for crew and bomb load, while giving a very clear field of fire for the gunners. The H.P.54, which is the makers' series number for the Harrow, is of totally different aerodynamic design, although certain structural features are shared by the two types.
  Doubtless, in order to afford a maximum of space for the crew and the very large bomb load carried, the Harrow was designed as a high-wing monoplane. This arrangement has numerous advantages from a service point of view, and the only disadvantage seems to be the difficulty, which amounts almost to an impossibility, of providing for a retractable undercarriage. In the H.P.54 the Palmer wheels are carried on very long telescopic struts from the wing, but as these struts are of streamline section they probably offer little drag. The same may be said of the two struts which brace the wheels to the lower corners of the fuselage, and, as the wheels are "spatted," the undercarriage drag is probably very small.
  Of features in the aerodynamic design, attention may be drawn to the full use of slots and flaps. In addition to reducing the landing speed, these have the effect of improving the take-off and of steepening the gliding angle, thus making it possible to operate the machine from aerodromes of fairly modest size.
  Two Bristol Pegasus engines are cantilevered out from the leading edge of the wing and enclosed in long-chord cowlings. The engine mountings are neatly faired into the wing surface so as to give a minimum of drag, and the engines drive De Havilland three-bladed controllable-pitch airscrews. In conjunction with a partial lowering of the trailing edge flaps, the controllable-pitch airscrews give a short take-off run.
  The armament carried by the Harrow may not be described in detail, but the photographs show that the defensive armament includes three gun positions: one in the extreme nose, one in the extreme tail, and one above the fuselage near the trailing edge of the wing. It will be noticed that the stern-gunner's position is set so low in relation to the deck of the fuselage that the central gunner can fire above him. The use of twin rudders reduces the “blind area” of the two rear gunners almost to nothing.
  Performance figures may not be published, but, in the matter of load carried over long ranges, the Harrow has exceeded the calculated figures.
Самолет K6994 эксплуатировался вначале в 420-м звене, участвовал в экспериментах с "авиационными минами" (операция "Mutton"). В декабре 1940 года 420-е звено было переименовано в 93-ю эскадрилью, а этот Harrow Mk II был передан в другую часть.
The completed Harrow. The engines are Bristol Pegasus. Note the pronounced taper of the wings.
Первый серийный "Хэрроу", Рэдлетт (Англия), октябрь 1936 г. Носовая и кормовая турели отсутствуют, их проемы зашиты металлом
The prototype Harrow, K6933, pictured at Radlett. It first flew on October 10, 1936, the Air Ministry having ordered 100 Harrows in August the previous year.
ON HIS MAJESTY'S SERVICE: The Air Council's Airspeed Envoy, used by members of the Royal Family, framed by the forepart of a Handley Page Harrow heavy bomber.
The Handley Page Harrow. The picture gives a good idea of the large size of this new heavy bomber and shows the positions of the central and rear gunners.
The prototype Harrow, K6933, was later registered G-AFRG and used on early flight refuelling experiments. It was broken up after suffering damage during an air raid at Ford in August 1940.
HANDLEY-PAGE "HARROW" Two 850 h.p. Bristol "Pegasus" engines
Серийный "Хэрроу" I в полете
The Handley Page "Harrow" Heavy Bomber (two Bristol "Pegasus" engines).
The Handley Page Harrow is in the same category as A.W. Whitley and mounts a pair of Bristol Pegasus engines.
Harrow K6947 photographed at Radlett during a test flight before delivery to 37 Squadron early in 1937.
HEAVYWEIGHT HEAD-ON: A Handley Page Harrow heavy bomber on test prior to delivery to an R.A.F. unit. The Harrow is being produced for the Air Ministry in two forms: the Harrow Mk. I has moderately supercharged Pegasus Xs (850 h.p. at 4,000 ft.) and the Mk. II mounts Pegasus XXs, which are fully supercharged and give 820 h.p. at 9,000 ft. Nose, midships and tail gun positions are incorporated and Handley Page slots and slotted flaps confer a wide speed range. Alternatively to its bombing activities the Harrow may be used as a troop transport.
A SHADY CUSTOMER: "Shadow shading" is the Air Ministry's term for the new system of camouflage, here seen applied to a Handley Page Harrow.
Going on parade: A Flight photograph taken from one of the units of a Squadron of Harrows on the way to Mildenhall.
SKY PARADE: Gauntlets, Ansons and Harrows in a "skeleton flight" rehearsal for the massed fly-past which will feature in the RA.F. Display to be held at Hendon on June 26. It is to be hoped that the squadrons will fly at closer intervals and at a lower altitude than did those in the so-called fly-past of two years ago.
A Handley Page "Harrow" Long-Range Bomber (two Bristol "Pegasus").
Line-up of 214 Squadron Harrows photographed early in 1938 at RAF Feltwell.
Typical aerodrome scene indicative of the colourful spectacles to be seen all over the country on Saturday, here, with a Harrow in prominence, at Biggin Hill.
Handley Page test pilot the late J.L.Cordes, complete with monocle, photographed with the prototype Harrow.
The Flight photograph shows the stern defence (conceived by the Nash and Thompson) of a Harrow.
CHIAROSCURISTS WITH COLOUR: “Shadow shading” a Harrow before delivery to a squadron, following an Air Ministry decision in early 1937 to camouflage all medium and heavy bombers.
LEG SHOW: Members of the R.A.F. Staff College, Andover, in the undercarriage-erection department of Handley Page's Cricklewood works, where they inspected the methods used for the rapid production of large numbers of Harrow heavy bombers.
Handley Page Harrow G-AFRL and Short S.30 G-AFCU Cabot demonstrate flight refuelling over Southampton.
В июле 1939 года, еще до начала полетов между Саутгемптоном и Монреалем, в районе Саутгемптона отрабатывались дозаправки от самолета Handley Page Harrow.
"Спэрроу", использовавшийся во время войны в качестве военно-транспортного самолета
Left, centre section in its jig. On the right, the three main portions of a wing being assembled.
The bomb cage (right) is built as a complete unit in a swivelling jig. On the left, outer wing portion units. Note that the skin covering already has its proper camber.
The fuselage, although of girder construction, is also built in several units. The upper picture shows two, with their front gun turrets carried on metal-covered structures. On the lower picture is the mounting and cowling of one of the Bristol Pegasus engines on the wing leading edge.
The complete power plant - two Pegasus radials - of a Handley Page Harrow heavy bomber on its way to be fitted. Standardisation of complete units is becoming more important, particularly for military purposes.
A BOMBER'S BRIDGE: The pilot's cockpit of a Handley Page Harrow Mk. II heavy bomber, showing the location of the flying controls, including the long operating lever for the Dowty flap gear, and the Hobson mixture and throttle controls associated with the twin Pegasus XX fully supercharged radials.
EIGHT IN HAND: The Bloctube engine control unit as fitted to the Handley Page Harrow. It provides throttle, mixture, D. H. airscrew-pitch, air intake and oil-cooler control for each of the two Bristol Pegasus engines (with Hobson carburettors). The makers are R.T. Bloctube Controls, Cricklewood Broadway Works, 25, Sheldon Road, London, N.W.2.
A Harrow crew at work. The second pilot has left his seat and stands at the navigation table. Seated on the left is the radio operator. The head of the first pilot can just be seen above the fuselage crossmember.
Inspired by the spectacle of a "next war" air battle at the R.A.F. Display - an impression, specially drawn for Flight by F. Gordon-Crosby, of Handley Page Harrow heavy bombers, flying high over enemy territory, being attacked by hostile fighters. The interceptors are seen diving with a view to zooming from beneath. But with fifty guns to a squadron the Harrows are by no means "cold meat" for a defensive force.
Details of the construction of the wing centre section. The lower diagram shows the constructional ''scheme.''
Details of outer wing portion, showing how sheet-metal nose covering is built as two complete units, afterwards attached to single girder spar. Note the ingenious leading edge joint.
The ingenious tail construction. Top and bottom coverings are first attached to the tailplane ribs; then the "box" is completed by riveting-on the front and rear channels, and finally the leading edge unit is attached.
Handley Page Harrow I