Ford Tri-Motor / 4-AT / 5-AT
Варианты:
Ford - Tri-Motor / 4-AT / 5-AT - 1926 - США
Страна: США
Год: 1926


Транспортный самолет с экипажем ив одного или двух человек
Описание:
Ford Tri-Motor
Flight, June 1929
OLYMPIA AERO SHOW 1929
Flight, November 1930
FORD THREE-ENGINED MONOPLANES
Фотографии

Ford Tri-Motor

Споры о том, действительно ли Уильям Б. Стаут является конструктором знаменитого самолета Ford Tri-Motor, продолжаются не один год. Не вызывает сомнений, что именно он сконструировал 2-AT Pullman, который компания "Stout Metal Airplane Company" выпускала в начале 1925 года. В августе того же года компания на правах отдельного подразделения вошла в состав компании "Ford Motor Company", после чего специалисты данного подразделения приступили к работам над трехмоторным вариантом Pullman, получившим обозначение Ford 3-AT Tri-Motor. Влияние самолета Pullman хорошо прослеживалось во внешнем виде машины: самолет представлял собой свободнонесущий высокоплан цельнометаллической конструкции, с такой же как у 2-AT гофрированной обшивкой. Однако если 2-AT, оснащенный одним двигателем Liberty, являлся достаточно изящным самолетом, то 3-AT, выпущенный в единственном экземпляре и отличавшийся тремя незакапотированными двигателями, расположенными по одному на каждой консоли крыла и в носовой части фюзеляжа, может быть легко отнесен к категории "безобразных" летательных аппаратов.
  Последовавший затем аэроплан 4-AT, совершивший первый полет 11 июня 1926 года, в целом имел схожую компоновку, с подкосным хвостовым оперением и неубирающимся шасси с хвостовым костылем, в котором главные опоры шасси были значительно усовершенствованы. Самолет пилотировал экипаж из двух человек, находившийся в открытой кабине, расположенной перед крылом, а восемь пассажиров размещались в закрытом салоне. Один из трех звездообразных двигателей Wright Whirlwind J-4 мощностью 200 л.с. (149 кВт) был установлен в носовой части фюзеляжа, а два других - в мотогондолах, размещенных на моторамах под каждой консолью крыла. Такая компоновка оставалась практически неизменной до окончания в 1933 году серийного выпуска машины. Самолет выпускался в двух основных серийных модификациях - 4-AT и 5-AT, последний появился в 1928 году и отличался большей вместимостью.
  Получивший прозвище "Tin Goose", самолет Tri-Motor выпускался также в виде целого ряда официальных и неофициальных подвариантов, с колесным, поплавковым и лыжным шасси. Данные самолеты использовались в Армии США под обозначениями XC-3, C-3, C-3A, C-4, C-4A, C-4B и C-9 (всего 13 машин), а также в ВМС и КМП США под обозначениями XJR-1, JR-2, JR-3, RR-1, RR-2, RR-3, RR-4 и RR-5 (всего 9 самолетов). Одним из доказательств высокой живучести конструкции Tri-Motor может служить такой пример: один из самолетов (5-AT-C) находился в коммерческой эксплуатации в своем первоначальном состоянии с момента его выпуска в 1929 году и вплоть до 1991 года.


Варианты

  4-AT-A: начальный серийный вариант; построено 14 самолетов
  4-AT-B: вариант 1927 года, с двигателями Whirlwind J-5 мощностью по 220 л.с. (177 кВт) и вместимостью 12 пассажиров; построены 39 самолетов
  4-AT-C: схож с 4-AT-B, но с установленным в носовой части фюзеляжа звездообразным ПД Pratt & Whitney Wasp мощностью 400 л. с. (298 кВт); построен один самолет
  4-AT-D: обозначение трех самолетов, схожих с 4-AT-B, но имевших различные силовые установки и отличавшихся индивидуальными доработками
  4-AT-E: в основном идентичен 4-AT-B, но с тремя двигателями Whirlwind J-6-9 мощностью по 300 л.с. (224 кВт); построены 24 самолета
  4-AT-F: один самолет, отличавшийся от 4-AT-E некоторыми аэродинамическими улучшениями
  5-AT-A: серийный вариант 1928 года; размах крыла был увеличен на 1,17 м; самолет рассчитан на 13 пассажиров; в составе силовой установки были применены три звездообразных двигателя Wasp мощностью 420 л.с. (313 кВт); построены три самолета
  5-AT-B: схожий с 5-AT-A, но вместимость 15 пассажиров; построен 41 самолет
  5-AT-C: схожий с 5-AT-A, но вместимость 17 пассажиров; построен 51 самолет
  5-AT-CS: морской вариант самолета 5-AT-C (с двумя поплавками Edo); построен один самолет
  5-AT-D: отличие от модели 5-AT-C заключалось в поднятом на 0,2 м крыле для увеличения высоты салона; построены 20 самолетов
  5-AT-DS: морской вариант 5-AT-D (с поплавками Edo); построен один самолет
  5-AT-E: вариант с внешними двигателями, смещенными к передней кромке крыла
  6-AT-A: эквивалент 5-AT-C, но с тремя двигателями Whirlwind J-6-9 мощностью по 300 л.с. (224 кВт); построены три самолета
  6-AT-AS: морской вариант самолета 6-AT-A (поплавковое шасси Edo); построен один самолет
  7-AT-A: новое обозначение одного самолета 6-AT-A после установки в носовой части двигателя Wasp мощностью 420 л. с. (313 кВт); позднее был модифицирован в вариант 5-AT-C
  8-AT: грузовой вариант самолета 5-AT-C (одна машина), два двигателя на крыле сняты
  9-AT: обозначение 4-AT-B после установки трех двигателей Wasp Junior мощностью по 300 л. с. (224 кВт)
  11-AT: обозначение 4-AT-E с двигателями Packard мощностью по 225 л.с. (168 кВт), позже модифицирован в вариант 4-AT-B
  13-A: обозначение самолета 5-AT-D с двигателем Wright Cyclone мощностью 575 л.с. (429 кВт) в носовой части и двумя двигателями Whirlwind J-6-9 мощностью по 300 л. с. (224 кВт) на крыле; позже переоборудован в 5-AT-D
  14-A: самолет первоначально оснащался четырьмя двигателями и имел обозначение 10-A, но затем его силовую установку модифицировали - один двигатель Hispano-Suiza мощностью 1100 л.с. (821 кВт) и два двигателя Hispano-Suiza мощностью по 715 л.с. (533 кВт); вместимость салона - 40 пассажиров; построен один самолет, но даже не облетан
  XB-906: обозначение одного 5-AT-C, переоборудованного в бомбардировщик; разбился во время заводских испытаний


ТАКТИКО-ТЕХНИЧЕСКИЕ ХАРАКТЕРИСТИКИ

  Ford 5-AT-D Tri-Motor

  Тип: транспортный самолет с экипажем ив одного или двух человек
  Силовая установка: три звездообразных ПД Pratt SWhitney R-1340-C1 или -SC1 Wasp мощностью по 420 л. с. (313 кВт)
  Летные характеристики: макс, скорость на оптимальной высоте 241 км/ч; крейсерская скорость на оптимальной высоте 196 км/ч; начальная скороподъемность 335 м/мин; практический потолок 5640 м; дальность полета 885 км
  Масса: пустого 3556 кг; максимальная взлетная 6123 кг
  Размеры: размах крыла 23,72 м; длина 15,32 м; высота 3,86 м; площадь крыла 77,57 мг
  Полезная нагрузка: до 17 пассажиров в закрытом салоне (максимальная масса полезной нагрузки 1698 кг)

Flight, June 1929

OLYMPIA AERO SHOW 1929

The Tri-motored Ford

  The type of machine exhibited by the Ford Company at Olympia has been extensively employed in the United States by passenger-carrying air lines, and also by large business organisations desiring the advantages of private air transport facilities. After the closing of Olympia, the machine will, we learn, be flown on a demonstration tour of different European capitals, piloted by Mr. LeRoy Manning, chief of operations of the Ford Air Lines and senior test pilot of the Stout Metal Airplane Company.
  The tri-motored Ford exhibited in the new hall of Olympia is of all-metal construction, and in this case, the term does mean all-metal, not only the coverings of the wings and fuselage being metal, but even the passengers' seats. Of the internal structure but little can be seen, but we gather that the cantilever monoplane wing has three main spars, with a subsidiary structure which, in conjunction with the metal covering, maintains the aerofoil section. The wing tapers in plan and thickness from root to tips.
  The fuselage also is covered with metal, the material used being a form of metal ply, consisting of an inner layer of duralumin and two outer layers of a very pure aluminium. The material is known as "Alclad," and the advantage claimed for it is that, the outer layers which are in contact with the air being almost chemically pure aluminium, the material resists corrosion to a remarkable extent. In appearance, the "Alclad" surface is very bright, and one might readily forgive the visitor to Olympia who, on seeing the machine, exclaimed: "Here we have the real super 'Tin Lizzie'." The cabin is roomy and well lighted, and has seating accommodation for 14 passengers, the seats being arranged along the sides, under the windows.
  The two wing engines are suspended from the wing spars, and the telescopic undercarriage struts are taken, at their upper ends, to the inboard side of the engine mountings. Mudguards are fitted over the wheels, and independently operated hydraulic brakes are provided. The usual tail skid is replaced by a trailing wheel.
  The petrol capacity of the tri-motored Ford is 355 U.S.A. gallons (about 295 Imperial gallons), and 30 U.S.A. gallons of oil, 10 gallons for each engine. The engines are Pratt & Witney Wasps of 425 h.p. each.
  With a wing span of 77 ft. 10 in. and an overall length of 49 ft. 10 in., the tri-motored Ford monoplane has a tare weight of 7,500 lbs. and a gross weight of 13,500 lbs., leaving a disposable load of 6,000 lbs. The ratio of load carried to tare weight is, therefore, very good indeed.
  Very detailed performance figures are not available, but we are informed that the top speed is 135 m.p.h. and the cruising speed 115 m.p.h. These figures are exceptionally good, and would seem to indicate that the aerodynamic design of the Fokker is as efficient as is evidently the structural design.

Flight, November 1930

FORD THREE-ENGINED MONOPLANES
Two Types Described

  A FEW weeks ago we recorded the arrival in this country of two Ford three-engined monoplanes, intended for demonstration work in Great Britain and on the Continent. The machines were shipped to Ellesmere Port, there unloaded and wheeled by road the short distance to Hooton Park Aerodrome (where the Comper Aircraft Co., Ltd., had placed hangars at the disposal of the Ford Company) assembled and flown to London. It is the intention of the Ford Motor Co., if experience appears to justify so doing, to repeat the process with any machines which may be sold to European countries, and Hooton Park is ideally situated for the purpose, being within a couple of miles of Ellesmere Port on the Mersey, and within easy flying distance of any of the London aerodromes.
  The aviation department of the Ford Motor Company is of fairly recent establishment, and is presided over by Mr. G. W. Higgs, who is ably assisted by Mr. R. L. Carter, whose aviation experience was largely gained with Imperial Airways, Ltd. The aviation offices are in the new Ford House, in Regent Street. For the present it is not, we understand, the intention to start manufacture in England, but as the three-engined Ford machines have established a very good reputation in America, there is cause to believe that very considerable business will be done in Europe, and the possibility is certainly not excluded of laying down a manufacturing plant in this country. We do not know that the new Ford works at Dagenham are planned with the idea of including an aircraft section, but as they will be on a vast scale, it should not be difficult, should the need arise, to set aside a portion of them for aircraft construction.
  While the two machines were at Hooton Park, our representatives had the opportunity to examine them while they were being erected, and it was largely on the occasion of that visit that the material for the present article was collected.
  The two Ford monoplanes at present in Europe are generally similar except for their power plants, the extent of the passenger accommodation, and the wing areas. The smaller machine of the two is known as the type 4-AT-E, and the larger as the type 5-AT-C. The former is fitted with three Wright "Whirlwind" engines, while the latter has three Pratt & Whitney "Wasps." The smaller machine has seating accommodation for 11 passengers, while in the larger the number of seats can be 13 to 15, according to requirements. The manner in which, in the larger machine, the wing area is increased to carry the greater load of more passengers and more powerful engines is interesting. The Ford design includes a wing centre-section permanently attached to the fuselage, and carrying the outboard engines. To this centre-section are attached, by six bolts each, the two outer wing portions. These outer wing portions are a standard size, identical for the smaller and larger machine, and the extra area is obtained solely by increasing the span of the centre-section. While this arrangement limits the increase in area that is possible, it is actually a sound way of increasing area because it increases the span, and thus decreases the induced drag at low speeds. It does not, of course, add materially to the maximum lift coefficient, and as the increase in weight is greater than the increase in area, the stalling speed of the larger machine is greater than that of the smaller.
  Aerodynamically, the Fokker tri-motor monoplanes are of about average fineness. For example, the Everling “High-speed Figure'' is 13-6 for the "Whirlwind"-engined machine and 15-8 for the larger monoplane. Neither figure is exceptionally high, but neither is it unusually low, and the minimum drag coefficient appears to be about what one would expect.
  From the point of view of structural efficiency, the machines appear to be good, more especially, perhaps, the larger, which has a ratio of gross weight to tare weight of 1-8 which is above the average. For the smaller machine the figure is 1-56. The wing loading of the 4-AT-E is 12-9 lb./sq. ft., and the power loading 113 lb./h.p. For the type 5-AT-C the figures are 16-2 lb./sq. ft. and 11-7 lb./h.p. respectively. The speed range of both machines must be regarded as good, being 2-3:1 for the smaller machine and nearly 2-4:1 for the larger. The actual performance figures are given in the table on page 1236, from which it will be seen that the smaller machine has a top speed of 132 m.p.h. with a cruising speed of 107 m.p.h., while the larger has a top speed of 152 m.p.h., and cruises at 122 m.p.h.
  The "Wasp"-engined machine in particular should be a very useful type, with its high-cruising speed. It is becoming more and more evident that the figure of 100 m.p.h. for cruising speed which became accepted many years ago, is scarcely sufficient under modern conditions if a real saving in time is to be achieved, and a cruising speed of 100 m.p.h. would not be enough on some of the sections of British Empire routes, for example, although it should be ample for many European routes. The power expenditure per passenger is by no means excessive in the Ford machines, especially in view of the good performance, and both types should be reasonably economical to operate as regards running costs, while the type of construction adopted is such that maintenance costs should be very low.
  Structurally, the Ford monoplanes are truly all-metal, in that, in addition to the main structure, both the fuselage and wing are covered with metal. The fuselage skeleton consists of duralumin members, most of U section, to the flanges of which the metal skin is riveted. In the forward part these U section members are used for longerons as well as for vertical, horizontal and diagonal struts. Where two or more of these U section members have to be joined, this is done by simple fishplates and rivets.
  It is, perhaps, the wing structure of the Ford machines which offers the greatest interest, since it is always instructive to see how different designers tackle similar problems. A metal wing of the full cantilever type, which carries the outboard engines, has to resist considerable stresses, some distributed and some concentrated. So to design a wing that nowhere does the strength fall below a certain figure, nor at others is unnecessary material carried is an impossibility. The best the designer can do is bound to be a compromise. In the Ford machines, use is made of three main spars, of which the middle one is situated approximately at the point where the depth of the aerofoil section is a maximum, the other two being placed ahead of and behind this. In between the main spars, there are lighter stringers of U section, but these serve only to stiffen the skin, those in the centre-section and end portions of the wing not being connected together.
  The main spars are of duralumin, and have flanges of D section, built up from two strips. The top and bottom booms of the spars are joined by an N girder of plain trough section. Joining is by fishplates and riveting. The wing centre-section being of uniform profile, the spars in this are not tapered, but in the outer wing portions there is pronounced taper, and towards the wing tips, the depth of the N girders decreases to the point where the two D section flanges are joined directly together. Of wing ribs in the ordinary sense, there are none. Vertical and diagonal members, lying in a fore and aft plane, and short straight members roughly forming the wing contour, take the place of ribs, and the final aerofoil section is obtained by the metal covering of the wing. This covering is of "Alclad," a "sandwich" with sheet aluminium in the centre and a thin coating of aluminium on each side. The aluminium is, of course, subject to the effects of the air, and a thin film quickly forms, which acts as a protection for the duralumin underneath. It is said that if this thin film is scratched, the chemical action causes it to "heal," which is not, of course, the case with the anodic process surface.
  At the outer ends of the centre-section main spars, and at the inner ends of the wing piece main spars, there are steel forgings of high-grade steel and fine quality workmanship which are riveted to the D section booms of the spars. These forgings terminate at their free ends in either plain or forked ends, and connection between the centre-section spar and wing end spar is by a horizontal bolt. Six bolts secure one wing end, and the assembly and dismantling of a wing-end is an amazingly quick process, as well as one calling for no skill. In fact, the tool most frequently used is a "Brummagem screwdriver."
  The engines are mounted very much as in British machines, one in the nose and two under the wing. The wing engines are carefully faired in, and the “Wasps" in the 5-AT-C have, in addition, a development of the N.A.C.A. cowling, which looks not unlike a Townend ring, but which is, we are assured, really quite different. Drag is further reduced by enclosing the wheels, all but a small portion, in streamline casings. The wheels, by the way, are fitted with Lockheed hydraulic brakes. A tail wheel with castor action is fitted instead of a tailskid, and as the wheel brakes can be independently operated, the machines can be turned in a very small circle on the ground.
  The passenger accommodation in the Fokker monoplanes is comfortable. There is no leg room "thrown away," but the space could not be described as cramped. The seats, of the aluminium bucket type, are comfortable, the ventilation is good, and hot air can be admitted to the cabin through louvres in the floor, which draw warm air from a muff around the exhaust pipe of, the central engine.
  The pilots cockpit ahead of the wing and cabin is protected by windows, and the view obtained is very good. Dual controls are provided, and the layout of the instrument board impresses one as being particularly good. Complete navigation equipment is carried, and the wing headlights proved their worth on the very first flight to London, when the machine landed in fog and darkness at Northolt.
Island Airlines operated Ford 4-AT-Bs in this livery during the 'fifties and 'sixties for regular services between islands in Lake Erie, Ohio, where the longest route was 11 miles (18 km), the shortest two miles (3.2 km). N7684, built in 1928, was c/n 4-AT-42.
Delivered to the US Navy in 1927 as the XJR-1, with serial A7528, this was the fourth Ford Trimotor, 4-AT-4. It is shown with the later, rounded, wing tips that were fitted before the aircraft was written off in April 1930. The engines were 200 hp Wright J-4 radials.
This Ford 5-AT-B, c/n 5-AT-40, is typical of several delivered in the early '30s to Cia Mexicana de Aviacion, Pan American's associate in Mexico, although others had the later Mexican "XA" registrations. Engines in the 5-AT were 420 hp Wasps and the wing span was increased.
N414H is a Ford 5-AT-C, 5-AT-74, first flown in September 1929. Restored post-war by American Airlines for publicity purposes, it is shown here in the markings of Scenic Airways of Las Vegas.
Компания "Scenic Airways" из Лас-Вегаса даже в 1980-х годах эксплуатировала этот 5-AT на туристических маршрутах в Гранд Каньоне.
Ford 6-AT-1, with Wright J-6 engines, was delivered to the RCAF in June 1929 as G-CYWZ and flew on floats or skis for much of its life, later becoming CF-BEP in airline service.
"Aircraft Hydro-Forming Inc." вывезла этот Model 5-AT Tri-Motor из Мексики и восстановила, после чего самолет в 1960-е годы эксплуатировала компания "American Airlines". На снимке самолет установлен на одной стоянке с авиалайнером Boeing 727-23 "Astrojet", полученным авиакомпанией в 1964 году.
4-AT
В первом трехмоторном Model 4-AT отчетливо видны элементы конструкции самолета 2-AT - полукруглые иллюминаторы салона, открытая кабина пилотов. Позже самолеты 4-AT, получившие иллюминаторы иной формы и закрытую кабину летчиков, использовались фирмой Форда на линии Детройт - Кливленд.
The US Army took delivery of its first Tri-Motor ten months after the Navy received its first example. Tri-Motor production for the Army comprised one C-3, seven C-3As, one C-4 and four C-4As. The C-3As were redesignated C-9s upon delivery. This C-9, 29-224, first flew on June 18, 1929, and is seen here at Floyd Bennett Field in April 1931. Note the insignia of the Air Corps Technical School at Chanute Field on the fuselage sides. The aircraft was surveyed at the San Antonio Air Depot on November 1, 1934, as having accrued 1,794 hr of flying time.
A Ford all-metal monoplane arrives at Madrid for the Madrid-Paris line. It was embargoed at Seville by the Junkers Co. regarding patent rights, but later released under bond.
DIESEL-ENGINED: A Ford type 4-AT, fitted with three Packard Diesel engines of 225 b.h.p. each. With these engines the machine has a cruising speed of 100 m.p.h. It carries two pilots and 11 passengers.
THE FORD 4-AT-E: Note the streamline fairings over the wheels. The propellers are standard metal airscrews with adjustable pitch blades. Starting is by means of hand-operated inertia starters, one being carried in each nacelle and one in the fuselage.
THE AMERICAN WAY OF STARTING: Three men swinging the inertia starter on the Ford monoplane, one holding the end of the starting handle and the other two "cranking."
U.S. AIR MAIL SERVICES. C.A.M. Nos. 6 and 7. For the future three-engined (Wright "Whirlwind") Ford-Stout all-metal monoplanes, as shown in the photograph, will be used.
Lady Heath's Gipsy-Moth at Fayetteville at dawn during the flight from New York to Miami. The other machine is a three-engined Ford monoplane.
A VISITOR TO ALL CONTROLS : The three-engined Ford (Wasps) is here seen at Whitchurch (Bristol).
The only American representative: The tri-motored Ford monoplane is of all-metal construction
The US Navy was the first American military service to acquire a Ford Tri-Motor. The first XJR-1 (serial A7526) was the fourth Tri-Motor built and made its first flight on January 29, 1927, before it was delivered to the Navy that March. After it was damaged by a tornado on November 18, 1927, repairs were made and the aircraft was operated until April 1930, when it was scrapped at Philadelphia.
With its spacious interior the ubiquitous Tri-Motor was ideal for testing the bulky airborne radio equipment of the day. Two large antennae are clearly visible atop the fuselage of this C-9, which has markings that leave no doubt as to its purpose, alongside Wright Field’s distinctive “arrow” marking. Early tests on radio-controlling another aircraft were performed at Wright Field, but the concept would not be perfected until the late 1930s. The C-9 variant replaced the C-3A’s 235 h.p. Wright R-790-3 engines with a trio of 300 h.p. Wright R-975-1s.
HEAVY TRANSPORT AT SKEGNESS: The three-engined Ford, piloted by Maj. F. Digby.
View of the Ford 4AT-E G-ABEF, Ford’s UK demonstrator, photographed at the Skegness Air Pageant on July 31, 1932. It was the largest aircraft ever to land on that aerodrome. Following sale to two British companies the Ford was sold to Guinea in July 1934 and was re-registered VH-UDY.
TYPE 4-AT-E: Fitted with three Wright "Whirlwind" engines, this is the smaller of the two machines now in Europe.
THE FORD TYPE 4-AT-E: Fitted with three Wright J.6 "Whirlwind" engines this machine carries 11 passengers and 2 pilots. Standing under the wings of the Ford are two Comper "Swifts," that on the left being the "Scorpion" version, while that on the right has a Pobjoy engine.
THE ONLY AMERICAN REPRESENTATIVE: The tri-motored Ford monoplane.
Адмирал Ричард Бёрд получил зтот доработанный 4-AT-B (регистрационный номер NX4542, собственное имя "Floyd Bennett" в честь его бывшего пилота) от фирмы "Ford" для планировавшегося первого полета над Южным полюсом. Ранее Бёрд использовал самолет Fokker F.Vll/3m для своей арктической полярной зкспедиции. Полет длительностью 18 ч 50 мин и продолжительностью 2575 км состоялся 28-29 ноября 1929 года, самолетом управлял Бернт Бальхен. Для увеличения дальности и продолжительности полета на самолете были установлены дополнительные топливные баки. При доработке был увеличен размах крыла, двигатели Wright J-5 заменены на Wright Cyclone. Ныне самолет экспонируется в музее Форда в Дирборне, штат Мичиган.
SCENES AT HESTON: Some of the commercial aircraft which were on view - ABGK, Lockheed "Vega"; ABLI, Spartan Mailplane; ABEF, Ford; ABDC, Junkers; ABDH and ABFV, "Puss Moths."
5-AT
PEDIGREE FORDS: Prize sheep from the flock of Mr. John Langmead, of Ford, Sussex, under the wing of one of the Ford monoplanes.
The Ford monoplane on which Prince Bibesco is making a tour of the aerodromes of Europe and Asia.
BUSY B.A.N.C.O.: Last Saturday the British Air Navigation Co.'s Tri-motor Ford, Voyager, was pressed into service between Heston and Jersey to transport an "overflow" load of nine passengers from the regular service. Here we see the passengers emplaning at Heston.
A LARGE VISITOR AT JERSEY: Last week we illustrated the British Air Navigation Co.'s Tri-motor Ford, Voyager, at Heston prior to its departure for Jersey. This picture was taken on the sands at Jersey after its arrival.
One of the three-engined Ford airliners, employed by National Air Transport (Inc.) of America, with the ingenious wing mail compartments.
How the mails are placed in the ingenious wing mail compartments is shown in the top picture, while the lower picture shows an interior view of the compartment.
"COMTE DE LA VAULX": Princess Bibesco christens the Ford monoplane on which Prince Bibesco is making a tour of the aerodromes of Europe and Asia.
Three views of the all-metal Ford Commercial Monoplane, which recently carried out demonstrations at Croydon. This machine, which was exhibited at the Olympia Aero Show, has three 425 h.p, Pratt and Whitney "Wasp" engines.
Oshkosh would not seem right without a Ford Trimotor 5-AT-CS giving rides, but this was N414H's last appearance as it is being retired by the Lemsters and will work out its days with Grand Canyon Airways. It is the last airworthy Ford
US Navy Ford RR-5 9206 is seen here at Floyd Bennett Field, New York, in 1935. This Tri-Motor was delivered to Naval Air Station (NAS) Anacostia on February 17, 1932, before moving on to NAS Pensacola in December 1934. In service, the Fords were used for a variety of duties, from transporting VIPs to carrying cargo between bases. As may be seen, markings were minimal. This aircraft flew some 2,784 hours, making it the most flown Ford in the Navy/Marine fleet. The aircraft was withdrawn in July 1940 with the notation “worn out”.
Для ВВС США были построены 22 самолета: 13 для Авиационного корпуса Армии США и девять для ВМС и Корпуса морской пехоты. Все в транспортном варианте. Армия получила восемь 4-AT и пять 5-AT (военные обозначения в зависимости от варианта C-3, C-4, C-4A и C-9). Флот и морская пехота также закупили самолеты обеих модификаций, получившие обозначения XJR-1, JR-2, JR-3, RR-4 и RR-5. На снимке - RR-5, один из двух 5-AT-D, поступивших на вооружение ВМС. 5-AT-D именовали "Ford с высоким крылом", так как его центроплан был приподнят на 20 см для увеличения высоты кабины. Другим отличием являлась дверь прямоугольной формы. "Ford" также построил бомбардировочный вариант самолета Tri-Motor (XB-906-1). ВМС США была предложена модификация на поплавках, способная нести две торпеды, однако заказа на постройку такого самолета.
The Navy acquired nine Tri-Motors: one XJR-1; two JR-2s; three JR-3s; one RR-4 and two RR-5s. In January 1935 the RR-4, A8840, was flown to the Naval Aircraft Factory for overhaul, after which it was handed over to the US Marine Corps at Quantico, Virginia. Overly keen use of the brakes put the machine on its nose on March 1, but it was soon repaired and went on to fly with VJ-6M. The machine had a short service life, being stricken from service on May 29, 1937.
Ford JR-3 A8598 made its first flight on December 27, 1929, and was transferred directly to the Marines from a Navy order. The Tri-Motor stayed at the factory, where it is seen here, until April 30, 1930, when it was flown to Nicaragua, where the Corps was fighting rebel forces. On August 4, 1930, the aircraft suffered a landing accident and caught fire at Ocotal, but the pilot escaped from the burning machine with no injuries.
A tri-motored metal Ford monoplane, the type employed by the Mexican Aviation Co. on the air services operated by them.
В 1970-1980 годы компания "Scenic Airways Inc." из Лас-Вегаса использовала этот самолет для полетов с туристами над Большим Каньоном и другими местными достопримечательностями.
Самым известным "долгожителем", выпущенным компанией "Ford", стал 5-AT-11, который летал в "Pan American" и TACA (Колумбия), а в августе 1945 года был куплен за 4500 долларов мексиканской авиакомпанией "TATSA", где получил регистрацию XA-HIL. Самолет использовался для перевозки людей и грузов между Масатланом и расположенным в районе Дуранго в каньоне небольшим аэродромом, обслуживавшим шахту. Самолет налетал на этих маршрутах 5376 ч, перевез более 65 000 пассажиров и порядка 7400 т грузов без единого происшествия. В 1966 году, когда записанный в паспорте самолета налет достиг почти 23 000 ч, машину купила авиакомпания "Island Airlines" из Порт-Клинтона, штат Огайо, эксплуатировавшая его до 1980-х годов в качестве туристского. В 2009 году самолет-ветеран занял достойное место в коллекции аэрокосмического музея в Сан-Диего.
HENRY FORD, HIS MARK: The "Wasp" powered 5AT demonstrator with its appropriate registration letters flying over its home aerodrome.
SOLID BEAUTY: The 5AT is a very graceful machine and although quite fast - its top speed is 150 m.p.h. - does not, in consequence, lose its air of solid comfort. The centre engine will in future also have a Townend ring type of cowling around it.
Данный C-4A - один из вариантов Tri-Motor, летавших в авиакорпусе Армии США в качестве транспортных машин.
THE FORD FREIGHTER: The Tri-motor Ford which, in conveying machinery, etc., to the mines 12,000 ft. up, has to clear part of the Andes into the bargain!
SOURDOUGH: A real old-timer from the frozen wastes of Alaska, this Ford trimotor flew down to Boeing Field complete with skis and made an exemplary landing on the snowless grass.
Военные Tri-Motor эксплуатировались не только ВС США, но и ВВС Австралии, Канады и Республиканской Испании. Model 5-AT-CS - один из четырех самолетов данного типа с поплавковым шасси, закупленных ВВС Чили.
Вариант 5-AT-CS отличался дополнительным подфюзеляжным килем.
Ford Trimotor "WZ" (later CF-BEP) was used for various duties including crop-dusting during its career. After service with the R.C.A.F. it was bought by G. W . G. McConachie, who was one of the founders of Canadian Pacific Airways.
THE TYPE 5-AT-C: The wing ends were not yet in place when this photograph was taken at Hooton. Note the tank inside the centre section, and the cowling ring around the "Wasp" engine.
H.R.H. The Prince of Wales showed great interest in the 3-engined Ford and is here seen emerging after having looked over it, together with Capt. Baker the Chief Instructor at Heston.
DETAILS THAT COUNT: Great attention has been paid to the streamlining of such details as the undercarriage on the 5AT Pullman. The way in which the radius rod and axle are faired into the "spat" is shown very clearly in these pictures.
THE TYPE 5-AT-C: The castor-section tail wheel.
 
AN OLD SPANISH CUSTOM FROM THE AIR: A fine aerial view of the Madrid Bull Ring and adjacent football ground taken from a three-engined Ford monoplane supplied to the Spanish Government. The car park is clearly visible in the foreground and the propeller and nose of the plane can be seen on the right.
THE FIRST CANADIAN AIR PAGEANT AT MONTREAL: The U.S. Army Curtis PI's are formating on the left. On the left is a Ford Tri-motor, while next to it are two Lockheeds, with N.A.C.A. cowling and speeds of about 190 m.p.h. The one with the dark fuselage is Capt. Hawks' transcontinental record machine.
FORD WING SPAR CONSTRUCTION: Built of Duralumin, the spar has "D"-section flanges, as shown on the right in A, while the vertical and diagonal struts are plain channel sections, as in B.
FORD WING CONSTRUCTION: There are three main spars, built up as shown on p.1234, and between them light stringers of U section, as in C. The struts of the stringer system are of the section shown in D.
A WING TIP NEARING COMPLETION: Note the type of rib used near the wing tip, and the disappearance, due to taper, of the N girders of the spars.
ASSEMBLING IN A VERTICAL JIG: This photograph, taken in the Dearborn works of the Ford Company, gives a good idea of the elaborate jigging used in wing assembly. The wings are erected leading edge downwards.
THE COCKPIT OF A THREE-ENGINED FORD: The central lever operates the wheel brakes (hydraulic).
A view inside the cockpit of the tri-motored Ford, showing dual controls and hydraulic brake handle.
A peep into the saloon of the Ford tri-motored monoplane.
THE CABIN: In the floor may be seen the special louvres which admit warm air. The open door shows a little of the pilots' cockpit.
5-AT-B Tri-Motor. NC9688 стал последним из десяти самолетов 5-AT-B, поставленных в 1928-1932 годах авиакомпании "Pan American" - основному эксплуатанту самолетов Tri-Motor. Главным образом, они использовались в ее дочерних латиноамериканских компаниях - мексиканской СМА ("Compania Mexicana de Aviacion"), колумбийской "SCADTA", кубинской "Cubana" и "Panagra" (зарегистрированная в США компания, которая выполняла рейсы только в Латинской Америке). Парк самолетов Tri-Motor авиакомпании "Pan American" включал четыре машины Model 4-AT-E, десять Model 5-AT-B, восемь Model 5-AT-C и шесть Model 5-AT-D. Изначально NC9688 был поставлен в Мехико, но в декабре 1934 года его передали авиакомпании СМА, где он получил регистрацию XA-BCW. Самолет потерпел аварию 5 марта 1940 года недалеко от вулкана Сан-Мартин, обошлось без жертв.
5-AT-D Tri-Motor
Ford Detail of Undercarriage Strut Attachment
Ford Wheel suspension showing Hydraulic Brake
A castor-action wheel is used instead of a tail skid on the Ford tri-motored monoplane.
Ford 5-AT Tri-Motor