Marshall MA-4 - это самолет Auster T.Mk 7 с крылом увеличенного размаха и перфорацией для отвода пограничного слоя воздуха. Доработку машины выполнила компания "Marshalls" из Кембриджа.
Крыло, элероны и закрылки самолета были снабжены всасывающими
насосами, приводимыми в действие от вспомогательной газовой турбины, установленной под углом 45° в центральной части фюзеляжа. Насосы отводили пограничный слой воздуха с аэродинамических поверхностей. В 1966 году при выполнении испытательного пролета MA-4 разбился, погиб летчик-испытатель Брайан Уэсс.
Jane's Encyclopedia of Aviation
Auster AOP series (UK)
AOP.6 was developed from the Mk 5 and powered by a 108 kW (115 hp) Gipsy Major 7 engine. Modified fuselage and increased all-up weight. All-metal auxiliary aerofoil flaps below and behind trailing edge, and wings strengthened to take two 52.25 litre (11.5 Imp gallon) fuel tanks. Pilot and observer seated in tandem. Lengthened landing-gear struts allowed larger airscrew. Production completed in 1949. T.7 was a two-seat trainer which could be quickly converted to full AOP standard. Side-by-side seating with dual controls. Third seat could be fitted. AOP.9 had a 134 kW (180 hp) Cirrus Bombardier 203 (military version of 702) engine.
Beagle A.61 Terrier (incl 6A Tugmaster) (UK)
Produced by completely rebuilding and furnishing to new high standards ex-army Auster AOP.6 and T.7 monoplanes. The 6A Tugmaster and Terrier 1 were also rebuilt Auster Mk 6s, but to lower standards. First flight of a Terrier Series 2 was made on 25 April 1962. The type is a three-seat touring and training monoplane.
Auster Mk 6s display the HKAAF’s ‘Winged Dragon’ insignia on their cowlings in this formation flight over the New Territories in 1955.
The AOP.VI prototype was TJ707, here in August 1945. The variant mated the more powerful Gipsy Major VII powerplant to the Auster Mk. V's airframe with separate aerofoil flaps.
TJ707 was converted from a Mk.V and tested at Boscombe Down in August 1945.
The Arab Legion Air Force operated four different Auster variants - A-406 was one of four Mk.6s.
The Mk.6 (VF484, right) and Mk.9 (WZ679, left) were the main variants transferred from the RAF to the AAC when it took over responsibility for the light aircraft fleet.
Canada's Auster AOP.6s reportedly had a longer undercarriage than aircraft built for the RAF. Like the majority of the country's Austers, 16657 did not display roundels on its fuselage sides.
The Auster VI Light Liaison and Observation Monoplane (145 h.p. D.H. Gipsy-Major VII engine).
AOP.6 TW562 served with 43 OTU at Andover from new in 1946 until February 1949.
The majority of the Mk.6s with the regular AOP flights and squadrons carried no code markings, but examples used for communications did. VF620 has a message hook stowed under the rear fuselage. (Or perhaps glider hook? - ed)
Belgium’s Auster AOP.6s were operated in either a silver scheme - as seen on A6 - or a green and brown camouflage.
'Gipsy Major Austers' were flown by the SAAF until the mid-1960s - 5410 was one of five delivered to the union.
Capt Gooding running up No 1951 Flight’s Auster A.O.P.6 VX121 at Ringway in 1956.
VF661 was based at Aldergrove in Northern Ireland and used on anti-terrorist patrols. It was equipped with the modified exhaust system fitted to some Mk.6 and most T.7s.
Alongside the T.7 trainers, AOP.6s (including VF661) were used by 227 (Air Observation Post) Conversion Unit, the successor to 227 OCU, to train future AOP pilots. Later, it served in Northern Ireland.
Another view of A.O.P.6 TW568 on exercise over Salisbury Plain.
A nice low-level air-to-air photograph of Auster A.O.P.6 TW568 taken during a training exercise in Wiltshire in July 1952.
Taylorcraft Auster AOP VI TW568 from Middle Wallop, photographed from a Tiger Moth in August 1952 over the Salisbury Plain area.
A very low level air-to-air shot of a Middle Wallop Auster A.O.P.6 taken during a training exercise near Salisbury Plain, Wiltshire in July 1952.
Capt N. Baldwick ahead of another Auster in his Army Auster 6. Baldwick averaged a creditable 125 m.p.h. in the Osram Cup race and was placed first.
Auster A.O.P.6 VX118 was later converted to an Auster 6A Tugmaster and registered G-ASNB. It is seen here operating from a sand airstrip at Gurji, Tripolitania, in 1958.
An Auster AOP VI of the Light Aircraft School, Middle Wallop, July 1952.
Some idea of the Auster A.O.P.6's short landing capabilities is evident from this photograph of TW568 lobbing onto an aerodrome perimeter track, July 1952.
An A.O.P.6 demonstrates the technique of small field landing. Note the landing T indicating the wind direction.
Auster A.O.P.6 VW996 was later converted to a T.10.
A.O.P.s in a rural setting during a break in flying.
The sad line-up of departing Austers at Ringway in February 1957.
The picture was taken in July 1952 and shows the Auster 6s and Tiger Moths of the Army Light Aircraft School in the foreground. In the background can be seen the Spitfire LF XIVs of No 288 Sqn and several Oxfords.
Auster 6A G-ARHM, Cranfield-based, visited Finmere 6/3/77 after a two-year rebuild;
Изображенный на снимке Auster AOP.Mk 6 готовится к перевозке самолетом Hastings из 511-й эскадрильи. Он оснащался громкоговорителями и использовался для психологических операций.
AOP.Mk.6 VF618 was equipped with a modified undercarriage arrangement and skis. What can readers tell us of its ship-borne use?
A Royal Artillery Auster lands on a British carrier during the assault on Rangoon, 1945.
FM208 was the prototype XN model seen here at a Trenton air show. The unit designator, 'HW-' is unknown but is probably associated with the Central Flying School. Below the wing is Auster AOP.6 16663.
Floatplane Mk.6 VF517 served only with the MAEE. It was wrecked at Felixstowe on August 7, 1947.
VX127 was one of two modified Auster AOP.Mk.6s used to support the 1949 British-Scandinavian Antarctic Expedition.
The Auster S was offered as a replacement for the AOP.6, although it is best thought of as a link between the variant and the Mk.9. The obvious difference from the Mk.6 was the Bombardier 702 engine.
The Auster “S” prototype WJ316 powered by a Cirrus Bombardier, seen at Rearsby in 1951.
Auster T.7 WE569 (G-ASAJ), nearest the camera, follows AOP.6 TW536 (G-BNGE) during a training sortie over the Hampshire countryside prior to AOP 50.
On a pre-delivery test flight, WE613 was one of the 77 T.7s delivered to the RAF (including two Model C4s).
Auster T.7 WE613 was one of 77 two-seat dual control trainer variants of the AOP6 supplied to the RAF.
The Antarctic T.Mk.7(Mod)s differed externally from the standard aircraft by having a universal undercarriage for wheels, skis or floats, and a radome for direction-finding equipment above the cabin. (WE563 illustrated, later became NZ1707 of the RNZAF).
One of two specially modified all-yellow Auster A.O.P. Mk.7s which are now on M.V. Theron heading towards the Antarctic.They will be used on the joint U.K./N.Z./Australian and South African trans-Antarctic expedition.
As the T.Mk.7 was identical to the AOP.6, except for the provision for dual controls, it could be used operationally. WE591 in company with US Army Cessna L-19 Bird Dogs and Bell OH-13 Sioux.
Two Auster T.7s lined up on the grass at Middle Wallop for AOP 50. The nearest aircraft VF526 has just completed a total rebuild by Ron Eastman, engineer with the Museum of Army Flying.
Shipped to Antarctica on board the research vessel Magga Dan - which left London on 15th November 1956 were the orange-and-black-painted de Havilland DHC-3 Otter (XL710) and the orange Auster AOP Mk. 7 (WE600). The latter accompanied the Antarctica expedition of the last winter.
"Deep-Freeze" aircraft are in the news and these photographs, Auster (photo) and Beaver, come from reader D. P. Woodhall, of New Zealand.
The prototype Auster T.7 VF665 on display at the SBAC airshow at Farnborough in 1948. It was later drastically modified as the Marshall MA.4.
MA-4, получивший регистрацию VF 665, был переделан из прототипа самолета Auster T.Mk 7. Первый полет машина выполнила в 1958 году, но оказалась очень сложной в пилотировании.
Under Ministry contract, Marshall of Cambridge (Engineering) modified an Auster T Mk 7 to have a suction-type BLC system for high lift, developed at Cambridge University. Its early form is shown, without the built-up rear fuselage, but with smaller spinner, unfaired and unspatted undercarriage and long exhaust pipe.
Current configuration of Marshall M A.4 after drag-reduction programme
Little has been released concerning the flight test programme of the Marshall MA.4. It was destroyed in a fatal crash on March 8, 1966.
The prototype Auster T.7 VF665 was used as a trials aircraft for most of its existence, including assessing the Bonmartini undercarriage.
One of the two Auster T.7s, WE600, fitted with floats and used on the Trans Antarctic Expedition in 1956, at Husvik Harbour, South Georgia.
Model H glider
The sole Model H training glider.
Beagle A.61 Series 2 Terrier (145 hp de Havilland Gipsy Major 10 engine)
TW641 after conversion to Terrier 2 standard.
TW641 after conversion to Terrier 2 standard.
Charles Brown getting comfortable in a Terrier.
The photograph shows the aircraft in its current status, after restoration by the boys from Skinners School, Tunbridge Wells and by members of 39 Signals (TA) Tunbridge Wells.
663 (AOP) Squadron Auster A.O.P.Vl from Hooton after coming to grief at Afon Goch in October 1956. A Royal Auxiliary Air Force unit, No 663 (AOP) Sqn moved into Hooton in 1949.
The author’s painting of Capt Baldwick’s Auster 6 heading out over Rock Farm on the first leg of the short course, hotly pursued by John Hill in Tipsy Belfair G-AFJR.
The BEAGLE Terrier - training touring aeroplane seating two or three people.