Air Pictorial 1958-03
-
V-18, the first Avia-built IL-14 for the Czechoslovak Air Force, making its first test flight at Prague recently.
Another addition to the Soviet Air Force is the "Fishbed B", a delta-wing supersonic interceptor, believed to be capable of speeds approaching Mach 2. Details of dimensions, weights, etc., are not available.
Photograph shows for the first time the Boeing B-52E, which differs from its forbears by having a larger fin and improved bombing, navigation and electronics systems.
Williamsons have also acquired the former Aer Lingus Dakota 3, EIAFB, now re-registered VR-TBT, marks originally earmarked for a Dornier Do 27B.
Экипаж одиночного Do 17Z в этом бою сумел отбить все атаки "Спитфайра". 10 декабря 1940 г. Но так везло не всем
One of a number of "Buddy" refuelling systems now being developed in America is the one shown here fitted to a Republic F-84 Thunderstreak. Developed by the Republic Company it consists of two auxiliary wing tanks, one containing fuel and the other consisting of two compartments. The forward compartment of the latter contains fuel and the rear the refuelling mechanism. As can be seen, this is a short boom to which a length of hose and a drogue are attached. Fuel can be drawn from all tanks of the tanker rather than just that from the buddy tank alone.
THIRD prototype or the Martin YP6M-1 Sea Master has begun test flights and differs from the two earlier aircraft in having outswept engines and a modified tail unit. The black outline on the rear hull arm is one of a set of hydroflaps for water manoeuvrability.
An artist's impression of the Dassault Mediterranee, a ten-seat, twin-jet executive transport, to be powered by two Dassault R-30 turbojets. Prototype, now under construction, is expected to fly some time this year.
One of the last photographs taken of the Constellation once used by President Eisenhower.
This Republic F-84F is equipped with tailhook arrester gear which is being evaluated by the U.S.A.F. It is claimed to be safer than the parachute braking drogue, eliminating skidding on wet and icy runways.
One of a number of "Buddy" refuelling systems now being developed in America is the one shown here fitted to a Republic F-84 Thunderstreak. Developed by the Republic Company it consists of two auxiliary wing tanks, one containing fuel and the other consisting of two compartments. The forward compartment of the latter contains fuel and the rear the refuelling mechanism. As can be seen, this is a short boom to which a length of hose and a drogue are attached. Fuel can be drawn from all tanks of the tanker rather than just that from the buddy tank alone.
Bristol 171 Mk. 3, VR-TBS (c/n. 12892, ex-G-ALSX), has been flown to Mwadui in Freighter F-BFOU on delivery to Williamsons Diamonds Ltd.
The modern microscopic markings carried by the newest Twin Pioneer G-AFIR.
The Canadian Register has exhausted the CF-J series very quickly and has reached CF-KJN. Skimmer CF-KDQ and Navion CF-KEA (photo) are two other recent Canadians.
Still alive and, if not kicking, still in one piece, is the Bristol 170 VR380, mentioned by "Aeroscribe" in his June Journal last year.
The bold licence number of the Teterborough, N.Y.-based, vintage Fleet 16B (N39605) is in sharp contrast with the modern microscopic markings
Over 4,000,000 HOURS have been flown by ROLLS-ROYCE DART PROP-JETS powering Vickers Viscounts in regular service on the air routes of six continents
BELL X-14. VTOL aircraft come in all shapes and sizes, and one of the latest about which details have been released is the Bell X-14; outwardly a conventional aircraft much in the same class as the Short S.C.1. First hovering flight of the X-14 was made on 19th February 1957, and since that date it has undergone a rigorous test programme. Powered by two Armstrong Siddeley ASV.8 turbojet engines of 1,750-lb. thrust each, it is designed to take vertically by deflecting the thrust of the engines downwards by means of diverters or vanes which are located behind the engines. When a safe altitude is reached the vanes are slowly feathered, the engine thrust directed rearwards and the aircraft makes the transition from vertical to horizontal flight. During the vertical and transition flight periods, aircraft control is effected by three air jets, one at each wingtip and one at the extreme tail. Developed from the early Bell experimental VTOL, the new aircraft weighs nearly twice as much as the early machine, 3,500 lb. against 2,000 lb., and differs entirely in engine mounting and overall appearance. Fixed fuel tanks are slung under the wings for ease of maintenance.
LOCKHEED 188A ELECTRA. The Electra is a medium-range passenger transport which made its first flight on 6th December 1957. The decision to produce the Electra was made after the Lockheed Company had made an extensive survey in 1952-53 of future aircraft requirements of the American airlines, and in the autumn of 1954 preliminary design was started. The first airline to order Electras was American Airlines for thirty-five aircraft, followed by Eastern Air Lines with an order for forty. Total number now on order is 147, and the first to enter airline service will go to Eastern Air Lines, who plan to use it from November this year. The fuselage is of circular cross-section over most of its length, and large rectangular windows will give passengers an excellent view. The wing is built around a box beam and has Fowler-type flaps and mass-balanced ailerons, each with one trim tab. Powerplant consists of four Allison 501-D13 turboprop engines, each developing 3,750 e.s.h.p. at take-off. Later models will be able to take engines developing up to 5,500 e.s.h.p. each. Propellers are either Aeroproducts or Hamilton Standard four-blade reversible pitch of 13 ft. 6 in. diameter. The pressurised fuselage will accommodate five crew members and eighty-one passengers, but a high-density version will seat eighty-five. Integral passenger stairs fold into the fuselage wall when not in use. Several versions of the Electra are planned, but all will carry up to 4,000 lb. of air freight and mail, in addition to the normal amount of passengers' baggage.
The sixth Boeing 307B Stratoliner F-BHHR for Aigle Azur, Saigon, shown here at New York before delivery
These photograph show the Valetta WJ470 in one piece.
Valetta WJ470. What happens when the "perfect" landing doesn't go just according to plan.
An Ambassador in marks other than British is unique indeed; VH-BUI, seen here at Archerfield, Brisbane, is the former L.A.P. habitue, G-ALZX.
An effort to reconstruct the Avian IIIA, G-EBZM (c/n. R3/CN/160), which has been in store at Southport, is now being made in the Manchester area.
This is the latest version of the Bensen Gyrocopter - the Model B-8M. More sophisticated than the Gluhareff, it can be fitted with a cockpit cover and has a range of over 100 miles.
The Mooney Mk. 22, now in the development stage and soon to make its first flight. Prototype is powered by two Lycoming 150-h.p. engines. To get the prototype into the air for test purposes the fuselage of a Mooney Mk. 20 was married to a new wing. Large dorsal fin was added for stability.
The Canadian Register has exhausted the CF-J series very quickly and has reached CF-KJN. Skimmer CF-KDQ (photo) and Navion CF-KEA are two other recent Canadians.
The De Bernardi two-seat version of the original P-53 Aeroscooter made its first flight on 16th November last year. Dimensions: Span 31 ft. 1 in., length 27 ft. 2 in., height 5 ft. 6 3/4in. Gross weight 1,035 lb., empty weight 595 lb.
LEGRAND-SIMON LS-50. The LS-50 was designed to fill various roles and was intended to be suitable for private touring, for club or school training of pilots or for the towing of single-seater gliders, provided that the latter were fitted with wheels to facilitate take-off. The mixed wood and metal construction was dictated partly by the need to keep the overall weight as low as possible in order to have a reasonable range for touring purposes, and partly by the desire to have a design which could be easily produced in series. In order to achieve this last aim a degree of sub-contracting and prefabrication is possible, which is unusual in this type of aeroplane. On the prototype several components, such as cowling panels, wheel discs, spinner and door sills, have been made in fibre-glass, and for production models this number would be increased. The fuselage is a basically rectangular, rigid wooden box built up on four longerons. At the rear end is bedded a stout post which bears the mountings for the tailplane and from which the rudder is hung. At the forward end the fuselage is mated to a sturdy metal framework which unites the cabin and wing-supporting structure, the two side-by-side seats, the control column and its mechanism, and the undercarriage unit and shock absorbers. This welded steel structure supports the controls, flap mechanism, radio, doors and instrument panel. Full dual control is fitted as standard, and the various trim controls are placed on the centrally mounted flap lever in the cabin roof, accessible to both seats. The wing is built up on a single spar at 25 per cent chord, and forward of this spar is plywood covered, forming a torsion box which is extended diagonally to the rear at the roots. The ailerons are cable-operated, the flaps by torsion tube. Ribs are built up of wood and the whole wing, braced by a single strut each side, is fabric-covered. The tail unit is constructed of welded steel tube with a fabric cover.
This is the Gluhareff portable one-man helicopter, powered by tip-mounted jets of the two-bladed rotor. It is strapped on by means of a harness and has a range of 25 miles.
VALMET TL-III TUULI. The Tuuli is the new primary trainer for the Finnish Air Force and will be available in three versions. As a two-seater with aerobatic qualities; a three-seater for utility purposes; and a four-seater for liaison duties. Besides training duties it can be used as an ambulance and is capable of accommodating a standard-size stretcher. The wing is a light-alloy stressed-skin structure, with the main spar at 25 per cent wing chord. The slotted-type ailerons are light-alloy covered, aerodynamically and mass-balanced, and fitted with balance tabs adjustable on ground. The landing-flaps open 40 degrees, and the ailerons are coupled to the landing-flaps in such a fashion that with the landing-flaps fully open the ailerons are deflected 15 degrees downwards from the basic plane.The fuselage is a light-metal stressed-skin construction. Two main frames, one at the instrument board and the other behind the cargo compartment, divide the fuselage into three separately manufactured parts, the front, middle and rear fuselage, which are riveted together. The extension of the main spar passes under the front seats in the fuselage, to which the fastening points of the main spar of the wings are attached. The fastening point of the auxiliary spar connects with a reinforced fuselage rib. The rudder and the elevators are stressed-skin structures with light-alloy covering. The fin and the stabiliser are firmly attached to the reinforced ribs on the rear fuselage. Landing gear is of the tailwheel type, main-wheels retractable. The front cockpit has two pilot seats arranged side by side and provided with complete dual controls. The main cockpit (pupil pilot) is on the port side.
Rare photograph of a rare machine - the Bloch 500 T3.