Commando N4894V, temporarily based at Blackbushe, was at one time operated by the Airborne Division of Luce's Terra Brand Foods, San Francisco. and before that was XT-120, one of the legendary Chinese Republican transports.
The two new Pakistani Beavers are fitted with the amphibian undercarriage and will be used on preventive duties by the Board of Revenue and Customs.
The Fairey Gannet T. Mk. 5 is externally similar to the T. Mk. 2 but is powered by a more powerful engine, probably the Armstrong Siddeley Double Mamba ASMD 8, which is rated at 3,600 s.h.p. plus 710-lb. thrust.
(Top) The Breguet Br-1050-01 Alize prototype differs from the 1050-03 (bottom) in that the thrust of the Rolls-Dart turboprop engine exhausts under the wing while that of the 03 exhausts over the wing. Fourth Alize, the 1050-04, made its first flight on 22nd June. This aircraft is the first of the pre-production series.
The Hayes KB-50J three-point tanker is powered by four Pratt & Whitney Wasp Major engines and two General Electric J-47 turbojets. Note wing tip pods and lengthened rear fuselage containing refuelling drogues.
The Convair YF-102 has one of the largest "droop-snoots" ever, and this is responsible for the downward pointing probe. This particular aircraft is different from earlier models in that it has a cambered leading edge to its wing and reflex wingtips. Other refinements are larger dive brakes, a larger vertical fin and a redesigned air intake. What looks like a horizontal tail surface near the top of the fin is an antenna and has no aerodynamic function. All production models of the F-102 will be painted with a special grey paint which prevents corrosion to the skin metal from the missile rocket engine blasts.
Shock balls are common in the exhaust of rocket motors but extremely rare in turbojet exhausts. This F-100 was photographed whilst making a low-level, high-speed run, and its exhaust contains a number of shock balls, which may be due to incomplete afterburner combustion.
Canberra WF909 is now being used as a test-bed for the de Havilland Gyron Junior, and one of these turbojets is installed in the port nacelle. A second Gyron Junior is being installed in the starboard nacelle, and the aircraft will appear at next month's Farnborough show.
On 15th May 1942 the Soviet Union's first jet aircraft took the air piloted by G. Ya. Bakhchivandzhi. Designed by V. F. Bolkhovitinov the aircraft was a cantilever mid-wing monoplane of mixed construction with retractable undercarriage. Radio was fitted, and two 20-mm. cannon were placed in the forward part of the nose. Front portion of the fuselage contained the pilot's cabin and fuel tanks, while in the tail was the liquid reaction motor.
First photograph showing the starboard side of the Antonov AN-10 Ukraina turboprop transport. Note the Hercules-type undercarriage containers and the double-wheel forward landing gear. Absence of doors on the forward gear is due to censorship on the original photograph.
Formerly G-AIMA and temporarily VR-NAZ, D-AHOI is the first freighter to carry 52 passengers. Its sister ship, G-AHJD, is undergoing a similar conversion in Hangar 552 at Ringway Airport,
Meteor N.F. Mk. 12, WS688, has been reported at several aerodromes carrying the distinctive markings of No. 153 Squadron.
Unlike the Twin Navion EC-WNM, the Spanish Herons are being ferried through Blackbushe with their permanent registrations.
In the international low-level reconnaissance competition held recently by the Allied Tactical Air Forces at Laarbruck, first and second places were won by Vickers Supermarine Swifts F.R. Mark 5.The field was composed of aircraft from many air forces, including French, Dutch and Belgian F.84Fs, and American B.57s. The winning pilot. FIt. Lt. A. D. Laurence of No. 79 Squadron R.A.F., scored 120 points out of a possible 200 on his fastest mission over 160 miles. Targets included camouflaged Army vehicles, airfields and bridges, and the mission demanded accurate visual reporting, speedy photograph processing and immediate intelligence reports.
Prototype F.7 XF774 displays its two wing-mounted Firefiash missiles.
The owner of this executive Convair CV-440 Metropolitan must surely be either a TV mogul or a candy king. The stripes are black and white, with wing and tail assembly trim in blue. Our New York correspondent, F. G. Freeman, Jnr., of Flushing, New York, took this photograph.
The aircraft in question is the Heinkel 219A-7, a high-performance, twin-engined fighter which was designed in 1940-41. Owing to the mounting pressure of bombing raids by the R.A.F. it was pressed into service in 1944-45 as a night fighter. Representative sub-types were the 219A-2 with two DB603A engines, and the 219A-5 with DB603E engines. A long-span development of the 219A was the 219B, powered by two Junkers Jumo 222 E/F engines which gave it a maximum speed of 435 m .p.h. Details of the 219A were; Span 60 ft. 8 in., length 51 ft. 0 in., height 14ft. 5 in. Maximum speed at sea level 319 m.p.h. Gross weight 29,900 lb. Accommodation; crew of two seated back-to-back in nose of fuselage. Armament consisted of four 20-mm. MG 151/10 cannon in detachable fairing under fuselage with provision for two additional guns in the wing roots. Two fixed 30-mm. MK 108 cannon behind the cockpit fired forwards and upwards at an angle of 65 degrees. Range 1,335 miles
The Whirlwind Mk. VII is the first British-built helicopter designed specifically for anti-submarine warfare, Note the large weapons bay in the underside of the fuselage.
Avenger XB296, complete with its dorsal turret.
The very English-looking Avro 19, OO-DFA, was formerly in the Congo with sister-ship OO-CFB.
York G-APCA, formerly MW295, "Ascalon II" , of the F.E.A.F. Communications Flight, spent just a week at London Airport, leaving 13th June as OD-ACQ for Trans-Mediterranean Airways.
Old friend of southern counties enthusiasts, Tiger Moth G-APCC was extremely well known in more spacious times as the last of all the camouflaged specimens, PG640, a unit of the Redhill Reserve Flying School.
MILES H.D.M.105. During the latter part of the last war, the Miles design team designed and built the M.57 Aerovan, a successful freighter or passenger aircraft capable of carrying a payload of 2,000 lb. After the reorganisation of Miles Aircraft and its subsequent taking over by Handley Page, the Miles team resumed their activities at Shoreham in 1951, and commenced a number of design studies on various transport projects. In 1954 the Hurel Dubois Company and F. G. Miles Ltd. entered into a technical collaboration that produced the H.D.M.105 experimental transport prototype. The 105, which is now in the flight-test stage, is the fuselage, empennage and power units of an Aerovan fitted with a metal high aspect-ratio wing, designed by Hurel Dubois. The purpose of this experimental aircraft is to demonstrate the efficiency of the Hurel Dubois wing, by comparing the performance with that of the original Aerovan. It will also provide information for the development of the H.D.M.106, a general purpose light transport which can be fitted with either unsupercharged or supercharged engines. The wing of the 105 has an aspect-ratio of just 20 : 1 and is virtually a scaled-down version of that used on the H.D.32 transport. The 106 will use an identical wing, with a strengthened wing spar to allow for the increased performance made available by the higher horse-power engines. The fuselage will be larger than that of the 105, and will be capable of seating fifteen or sixteen passengers. Another version of the 106 is the 107, which will have two T-33 turboprop engines. A design study is being made at the request of the Chief of the U.S. Army Research and Development.
Three fins on a smaller scale belong to EI-AGU, once more restored to its original British marks, G-AJYZ. It will be well remembered as the machine raced by Waiter Bowles a few years ago and later sold to C. C. Callagham of Dublin.
This Valetta C.2 (VX560) has various modifications including a ventral radome and a protrusion from the tail-cone.
These artists' impression depict the Convair F-106A all-weather interceptor developed from the F-102. The F-106s fin is square-cut at the tip as compared with the sharp pointed fin of the 102, and the air intakes are now on the wing leading edge instead of under the cockpit.
Autocrats fitted at birth with the Gipsy Major I and enlarged fin and rudder are known as the J-1N Alpha. I-AGRA, recently at Bembridge, is a typical specimen, identical with the rejuvenated veterans listed below. In 1950 an Autocrat so treated would have been called a J-1B Aiglet!
BLUME Bl.502. Among the many new companies now springing up in the revitalised German aircraft industry is the Ingenieurburo Blume, at the head of which is Professor Waiter Blume, chief designer and managing director of the former Arado company. The Blume company is now developing a series of all-metal touring aircraft, designed by Prof. Blume, as a replacement for the Arado 79. A prototype, known as the Bl.500, has been built by the Focke-Wulfe company, with which Prof. Blume's company is associated. Two production versions are planned: the Bl.501, powered by a 125-h.p. Lycoming engine, and the Bl.502, powered by a 140-h.p. or 150-h.p. Lycoming engine. The subject of the silhouette drawing is the 502, powered by a 150-h.p. Lycoming and now undergoing flight-testing at Bremen. lt is a four-seater, with retractable tricycle undercarriage and straight-tapered flying surfaces. The small tip-tank-like fairings increase the effective aspect-ratio, and there are boundary-layer fences between the centre-section and outer wing panels.
Salient features: Four-seat, low-wing touring monoplane of all-metal construction. Powerplant : One 150-h.p. Lycoming four-cylinder, horizontally-opposed engine, driving a two-blade, variable-pitch propeller. Two fuel tanks are accommodated in the wing centre-section, one on each side of the fuselage.
The world's first tilt-wing VTOL aircraft, the Vertol 76, is now undergoing ground tests prior to flight testing. It is powered by a Lycoming T-53 gas-turbine engine, which is situated aft of the cockpit and atop of the tubular fuselage. The wing and two contra-rotating rotor propellers are tilted as a unit through a 90-degree arc for vertical take-off, landing, or level flight. With the wing in a horizontal position for forward flight conventional controls become effective. Two ducted fans in the tail section (in base of fin) provide additional control for hovering. The Vertol 76 was completed on 21st April, just fifty weeks after the first designs were drawn.
These artists' impression depict the Republic F-103 ram-turbojet Mach 2 interceptor.
The delivery of the Southern Rhodesian Cessna 310. VP-YPE, continued via Croydon on 20th June.
The "Round the World" insignia on the Douglas World Cruisers
All that is needed to erect the Goodyear Inflatable Mk. II is a bicycle pump, a strong arm, and she is ready to go. This model differs to the Mk. I in that it has an enclosed cockpit and a smaller undercarriage. Pilots of this aircraft should beware of pins and like.
KINGSFORD SMITH PL-7. Crop-dusters come in many shapes and sizes, and among the more recent additions to this type of aircraft is the Australian Kingsford Smith PL-7 Tanker, a pod-and-boom sesquiplane. The Tanker is built round a 400-h.p. Armstrong Siddeley Cheetah X "power egg", and was designed by Luigi Pellerini, who is also responsible for the Fawcett 120. The forward section of the fuselage consists of a 45-cu.-ft. mild steel tank forming a hopper and carrying all main loads. Exit chute is under the lower wing centre-section. The forward face of the tank carries the engine-mounting frame and nosewheel boom; to the rear face is attached the rear fuselage cone containing cockpit and fuel tank. The lower mainplanes have full-span copper spray-booms built into the trailing edges, with provision for a large number of standard spray nozzles. The upper wings, which are supported by a single lift-strut, are attached to a gulled centre-section supported by streamlined struts. Wheels, tyres and shock absorber units on the fixed tricycle undercarriage are interchangeable. Hydraulic brakes are fitted to the main-wheels and are operated by means of toe pedals. The fabric-covered steel tube tail unit is carried on two tubular steel booms projecting rearwards from the upper wing centre-section, and are braced to the fuselage. Twin fins and rudders, on which is carried the tailplane, are attached at their mid-points to the booms. All control cable runs from cockpit to tail are carried externally along the booms and boom supports.
TEXAS A. AND M. AG-1. As part of an extensive research programme on agricultural aviation problems, sponsored by the National Flying Farmers Association in co-operation with the C.A.A., the Texas A. and M. College designed and built the AG-1 agricultural monoplane. At the time of its first flight - 1st December I950 - the AG-1 was the first aircraft designed wholly for crop-dusting or spraying. Designed by Mr. F. E. Weick, the AG-1 incorporated the characteristics most desired in dusting and spraying aircraft, information on which was obtained from operators by means of a nation-wide survey by the C.A.A. One innovation was the sharpened leading edges of the main undercarriage struts, enabling them to cut any wires or cables encountered in flight. In June 1953 the AG-1 was destroyed in a flying accident and a much-modified version, the AG-2, was developed for commercial production by the Transland Company, of Torrance, California. Third of the AG designs is the AG-3, an experimental aircraft designed to carry a spray or dust load of 800 lb . It is smaller in size and cheaper to make than the AG-1, as it makes use of a number of standard Piper Cub components. It is a low-wing. strutbraced monoplane. The prototype made its first flight in November 1954. Power is provided by a 135-h.p. Lycoming engine.
Salient features : A low-wing. constant-chord, cantilever monoplane of all-metal construction. the AG-1 was a functional, angular machine. Accommodation: Pilot, seated in an open cockpit which, owing to the 15-degree slope of the engine cowling, provides an excellent view ahead. Equipment : Hopper for dust, seed or fertiliser in fuselage ahead of cockpit, and two tanks, each with capacity of 150 U.S. gallons. for spray liquid in centre-section, one on each side of the fuselage.
A Fokker M.F. of the German Navy with an unusual form of cross on the fin.
The Bernard HV45 speed-trainer was used for training pilots taking part in the Schneider Trophy Races.