Flight 1935-05
Flight
Carrying a gun in the nose of its nacelle, the D.H.2 pusher (100 h.p. Gnome Monosoupape) was very effective against the Fokkers.
"A DRESS REHEARSAL": Some D.H.9a's of No.39 Bombing Squadron carrying out evolutions over Hendon.
The D.H.9A (400 h.p. Liberty engine), which was introduced in 1918 and remained in extensive use until a few years ago, may be regarded as one of the typical intermediate types between the early and the modern military aeroplanes.
AMUSING - AND INSTRUCTIVE. Herr Ernst Udet, the German pilot, with the Curtiss "Cyclone-Hawk" which was acquired for aerobatic displays - and, possibly, as an example of a modem fighter.
QUEER BEASTIES FROM AMERICAN WATERS. A flight of Curtiss BF2C-1's from America's latest aircraft carrier Ranger. These peculiar-looking retractable-undercarriage biplanes are fitted with 700 h.p. "Cyclones" giving a maximum speed of well over 200 m.p.h., and, apart from their employment as fighters, are used extensively as dive bombers, when they carry nearly 500 lb. of projectiles apiece.
EMPIRE AIR DAY: A flight of "Harts," from Eastchurch, loaded with 8 1/2 lb. practice bombs, make for the bombing target moored off Leysdown.
The photograph illustrate the attack of a flight of "Gauntlets" on a flight of "Harts." In the picture one fighter is seen on the left, coming up behind and below the starboard bomber, while two "Gauntlets," one behind the other, are stalking the port bomber which appears on the right of the picture.
Another view of the attack by the "Gauntlets," which shows still more clearly one fighter tackling the starboard bomber while two approach the port bomber. If their attacks are successful the leading "Hart" will be left alone to deal with all three fighters.
The photograph illustrate the attack of a flight of "Gauntlets" on a flight of "Harts." In the picture is shown the view of the gunner in the port "Hart" as the two fighters approach him. He dare not fire at them for fear of hitting his own fin, but must trust to cross fire from the "Hart" on his starboard side.
Another view from the gunner's cockpit in the port "Hart." Note how the fighter pilots are shielded by their "Mercury" engines.
This remarkable photograph shows the attack from the fighter's point of view. The head of the fighter pilot is naturally out of focus. He has now got into position in the blind spot below the "Hart" and is about to riddle it with bullets from his two Vickers guns.
The gunner in a "Hart," disregarding a fighter which is under his own tail, is aiming his gun at a "Gauntlet" which is attacking the "Hart" on his left. The bomber formation relies almost entirely upon cross-fire.
This machine was designed by the Royal Aircraft Establishment. The B.E.2C was an automatically stable tractor biplane with 90 h.p. R.A.F. engine.
The end of the sprint - the pilots reaching their "Bulldogs," which are waiting with engines warmed ready to start.
Trying out the smoke-producing apparatus on a "Bulldog" of No. 3 (F) Squadron at Kenley. Five of these machines did aerobatics with smoke on Empire Air Day
Away within two minutes of the alarm. This last photograph, actually, is of "Bulldogs" of No. 17 (F) Squadron, Kenley, which also demonstrated this evolution on Empire Air Day.
Bristol "Bulldog IV"
A Hamilton Standard controllable-pitch airscrew on a British engine. The Bristol "Mercury VI" has been officially approved for use with this airscrew, following 50 hours bench tests and 50 hours flying tests. It is here seen on a "Bulldog.''
The Vickers "Gun Bus" did much good work during the early part of the war. It was fitted with a Gnome rotary engine.
Early type: An early Martinsyde monoplane (50 h.p. Antoinette). Note the wind shield in front of the control wheel.
The Henry Farman biplane (50 h.p. Gnome rotary engine) on which Louis Paulhan won the London-Manchester Race in 1910.
One of single-seater fighters which beat the "Albatros" and Fokker Triplane was the S.E.5A with 240 h.p. Wolseley "Viper."
Hon. C. S. Rolls with his Wright biplane at the first International Aviation Meeting at Bournemouth, 1910, where he met with a fatal accident whilst taking part in the landing competition. His death robbed Great Britain of one of its most honoured and enthusiastic pioneer airmen and balloonist. He was one of the first group of "experimenters" who began flying at the Royal Aero Club's aerodrome at Eastchurch.
LOOKING BACK: A typical Saturday afternoon scene at Hendon in 1914. Pierre Verrier is seen trying to touch with his wing tip the tin discs on top of No. 1 pylon. Another attempt succeeded. Standing on the ground is a Grahame-White "box kite"; Note the drooping ailerons.
A 1913 Breguet (Salmson water-cooled radial engine), one of the first all-metal aeroplanes and the first with single-spar wing construction.
The first British twin-engined bomber, the Handley Page O/400, had two Rolls-Royce "Eagle" engines of 360 h.p. each. This type did not come into service until near the end of the war. This type was to have been used for bombing Berlin, but the Armistice intervened.
First produced in 1913, the Avro 504 became and remained the standard training machine of the R.A.F. until a few years ago. The engine of the original machine was an 80 h.p. Gnome rotary.
FOR SERVICE IN SOUTH AMERICA: The first of six new high-speed amphibians which are to be used along the Amazon River from Para to Manaos and in other sections of the Pan American Airways system.
A Bristol "Box kite," also with Gnome engine. In this machine the occupants were unprotected.
Early commercial aeroplane: The Armstrong Whitworth "Argosy";
EFFICIENT DISTRIBUTION OF ARMAMENT. On the Handley Page "Heyford" Night Bomber one gun is carried in the nose and two midway between the wings and tail. Of these, one is mounted in the "dustbin" seen extended.
MORE COMFORT AND PERFORMANCE: An improved version of the Mk. II Handley Page "Heyford" heavy bomber. Points to notice are the enclosed pilots' cockpit, four-bladed airscrews, which are driven by fully supercharged "Kestrels" of 600 h.p. and the bomb-aimer's position. The rear gunner's cockpit has also been modified.
The Boulton Paul "Overstrand" with two Bristol "Pegasus" engines: A substantial development order for these machines has been placed by the Air Ministry. It has not yet been decided which squadron or squadrons will receive this very formidable medium bomber.
J9185 was another Sidestrand conversion to Overstrand configuration.
In the photograph the large top 'plane extensions of the Henry Farman are better shown than in the previous photograph. Note king post bracing on top.
Early military flying depended largely upon two Farman types, the Henry (shown) and the Maurice "Longhorn". The former had an 80 h.p. Gnome and the latter a 60 h.p. Renault engine.
Early type: The Dunne automatically-stable biplane (50 h.p. Green)
Hawker "Fury" (Rolls-Royce "Kestrel" II.S).
Although representing only another stage in the gradual development of the Autogiro, the C.30 direct-control model has now been in successful use for several years
SHEFFIELD WEDNESDAY AT WEMBLEY ON SATURDAY: The C.30 Autogiro used by the London police for supervising traffic flies low over Wembley Stadium during the football Cup Tie between West Bromwich Albion and Sheffield Wednesday.
REVOLUTIONARY. An impressive view of a flight of Autogiros or, as the R.A.F. prefers to call them, "Rotas," from Old Sarum, where they are being adopted for Army Co-operation work.
Water wings: the Autogiro with its flotation gear.
The photograph illustrate the attack of a flight of "Gauntlets" on a flight of "Harts." In the picture one fighter is seen on the left, coming up behind and below the starboard bomber, while two "Gauntlets," one behind the other, are stalking the port bomber which appears on the right of the picture.
Another view of the attack by the "Gauntlets," which shows still more clearly one fighter tackling the starboard bomber while two approach the port bomber. If their attacks are successful the leading "Hart" will be left alone to deal with all three fighters.
The photograph illustrate the attack of a flight of "Gauntlets" on a flight of "Harts." In the picture is shown the view of the gunner in the port "Hart" as the two fighters approach him. He dare not fire at them for fear of hitting his own fin, but must trust to cross fire from the "Hart" on his starboard side.
Another view from the gunner's cockpit in the port "Hart." Note how the fighter pilots are shielded by their "Mercury" engines.
This remarkable photograph shows the attack from the fighter's point of view. The head of the fighter pilot is naturally out of focus. He has now got into position in the blind spot below the "Hart" and is about to riddle it with bullets from his two Vickers guns.
A good field of view is essential in an observation machine. The new Douglas XO-46 "Twin Wasp Junior") is certainly not lacking in this respect.
Another view of the wing bracing is obtainable in the side elevation.
Blackburn "G.P."
The Blackburn G.P. machine is almost a "sesquiplane" in that the lower wing is much smaller than the upper. Note the unusual wing bracing.
In the view of the tail may be seen the "trimming tabs" on the trailing edge of the elevator.
THE NEST: The space under the fuselage of the Blackburn G.P. machine where bombs and torpedos are carried. In the view on the right can be seen the muff around the exhaust pipe from which heated air is led to the cockpits.
Juvenile interest in the Lewis gun on a Blackburn "Shark" T.S.R. machine at Gosport.
A Fairey "Seal" alights across the bows of the photographic pinnace at Felixstowe.
FOR CZECHOSLOVAKIA: In last week's issue details were given of this Saunders-Roe "Cloud," which has been delivered to a Czechoslovakian operating company. The machine has been purchased so that the harbour at Susak may be used when the hill-surrounded aerodrome cannot be reached in bad weather.
ANOTHER OPEN-SEA RECONNAISSANCE TYPE: The Saunders-Roe R24/31 (two Bristol "Pegasus" engines), in which the A.O.C. Coastal Area recently flew to Pembroke Dock for the start of the Singapore flight.
MAKING FRIENDS AT FELIXSTOWE: The new Supermarine "Mark V" flying boat (two "Pegasus III"), on test at Felixstowe last week. Her remarkable take-off is due in no small measure to the 775 h.p. available for that purpose from each of her engines.
The great crane fishes the new "Pegasus"-powered Supermarine "Mark V" out of the water.
Lowering the big new Supermarine on to its land chassis with Felixstowe's 50-ton crane.
H.M.S. NELSON'S Vickers-Supermarine "Seagull" appears to float on a sea of humanity during the ship's visit to the Thames Estuary for public inspection. The crane for hoisting out the flying boat will be noticed.
FOR COASTAL RECONNAISSANCE: The Avro 652 (two 270 h.p. Siddeley "Cheetah" engines) converted from a civil into a military type. Note the "birdcage" on top of the fuselage behind the wing.
SEEN ON EMPIRE AIR DAY: The new Avro coastal reconnaissance monoplane - a militarised "Ava" or 652 - leaves Gosport to give battle to a "Hart." The blob in the "parrot cage" is Flight's representative.
"Vildebeest"
ON DUM DUM AERODROME: The Vickers "Vildebeests" ("Pegasus") of No. 100 (Bomber) Squadron at Calcutta en route for Risalpur from Singapore. The return journey amounted to 7,000 miles.
ICH DIEN: It is fitting that the new De Havilland "Dragon Rapide" for H.R.H. the Prince of Wales should have been completed at this time - Their Majesties' Silver Jubilee, which, incidentally, marks a period of twenty-five years that has seen British aviation grow from a very small beginning. The machine was photographed by a Flight photographer in the bright sunlight above the heavy clouds which covered the Home Counties last week-end. Mr. Waite, one of the makers' test pilots, was delivering the machine to the Prince's hangar at Hendon.
The first D.H. "Rapide" to be delivered to British and Continental Airways, a new company which is to operate a daily service to the Continent. Two others are at present on order. For the moment, the Continental destination of the first service cannot be revealed, but Messrs. J. K. Morton and A. P. K. Hathersley have joined the Company as pilots.
Lord Londonderry about to enter the Communications "Rapide" for an Empire Air Day tour.
Inside the Prince of Wales's De Havilland "Rapide": A view looking forward towards the cockpit, showing the wireless equipment.
Inside the Prince of Wales's De Havilland "Rapide": The cocktail cabinet.
A section of the long line of machines on exhibition. In the foreground is the B.A.C. "Drone," then a Spartan "Cruiser," a Railway Air Services D.H.86, the K.L.M. Douglas D.C.2, and others.
THE CHIEF INSTRUCTOR: Sqd. Ldr. Chick in an Avro "Tutor."
How the children revelled in it! This picture, centring round a "Tiger Moth" of No. 24 (Communications) Squadron at Hendon, is typical of scores of similar scenes all over the country.
A section of the long line of machines on exhibition. In the foreground is the B.A.C. "Drone," then a Spartan "Cruiser," a Railway Air Services D.H.86, the K.L.M. Douglas D.C.2, and others.
D.H.86
The Fairey "Hendon" night bomber in its new guise - with a nose "conservatory" and three-bladed airscrews. In the background is the Northrop bomber from Farnborough.
EMPIRE AIR DAY: A diamond formation by "Demons" of No. 23 Squadron, from Biggin Hill.
"Demon" two-seater fighters of No. 23 (F) Squadron, at Biggin Hill, in "echelon stepped up" formation.
The Percival "Mew Gull" entered for the Race by Prince George in 1934;
Load-testing a wing of the D.H. Technical School's new King's Cup machine.
AN AEROBATIC TRAINER: This new Focke-Wulf monoplane, the FW.56, is intended for the training of pilots in aerobatics and fighting manoeuvres. The engine is an Argus inverted vee eight of 240 h.p.
Typically modern in appearance, the Fiat G.18 has some interesting constructional details.
A JAPANESE BOMBER. The larger machine is fitted with two Mitsubishi water-cooled engines of 700 h.p. each. The top speed of the machine is 137 m.p.h.
A JAPANESE BOMBER. The Mitsubishi "93", has two 450 h.p. Nakajima "Jupiters." The top speed of the machine is 155 m.p.h.
The Handley Page "Hannibal" (4 Bristol "Jupiters")
REFUELLING: An impressive picture of the two largest types in European passenger service - the Handley-Page "Heracles" and the Short "Scylla' - on the tarmac at Croydon.
The B.A. "Eagle" Santander, on which Senor Pombo made a 2,000-mile crossing of the South Atlantic in 16 hrs. 42 mins. - an average speed of 121 m.p.h.
Mr. Katsutaro Ano, a Japanese pilot (right) is shortly to attempt to establish a flying record between England and Japan in his "Eagle" monoplane.
This machine was designed by the Royal Aircraft Establishment. The F.E.2B was a pusher with 120 h.p. Beardmore engine
AN INTERESTING CONTRAST to models of modern aeroplanes is this scale-model F.E.2D, made for the Science Museum, London. Museum models of this kind are usually made from wood with brass or aluminium details, and at least three coats of paint (usually cellulose) are very carefully applied, with a rubbing-down between each. The makers of this and a number of other models in the Museum are the Models Manufacturing Company, 43, Newington Causeway, London, S.E.1.
The Fairey "Hendon" night bomber in its new guise - with a nose "conservatory" and three-bladed airscrews. In the background is the Northrop bomber from Farnborough.
Король Георг V и королева Мария (на переднем плане третий и пятая слева) возле "Кометы" супругов Моллисон (крайние справа). Милденхолл, 19 октября 1934 г
ROYAL INTEREST IN FLYING: Their Majesties the King and Queen paid a visit to Mildenhall on the eve of the Australia Race. In the background is Mr. and Mrs. Mollison's "Comet."
MODERN BRITISH DESIGN. - This view of the "Lynx"-engined Airspeed "Envoy," taken by a Flight photographer over Langstone Harbour, Portsmouth, admirably illustrates its "clean" lines.
В модификацию de Havilland DH.85 Leopard Moth ввели изменения, схожие с изменениями версии DH.83 Puss Moth - новое трапециевидное складное крыло со стреловидностью передних кромок, а также смещенные верхние точки крепления амортизаторов основных стоек шасси.
Incidents in the early days: Col. (now Sir Francis) McClean is seen flying "through" the Tower Bridge on a Short seaplane.
THE OBJECTIVE: An impressive photograph from the tail cockpit of a "Pegasus"-engined Vickers "Virginia" approaching Brooklands.
The Comper "Swift" which he entered for the 1932 King's Cup Race, and in which Fit. Lt. Fielden gained 2nd place;
6 июня 1932г.: поднялся в воздух A.W.XV Atalanta, созданный для "Imperial Airways" и перевозивший почту и пассажиров в Южной Африке и на Индостане.
The first Armstrong Whitworth A.W.XV on a test flight in its original form with spatted mainwheels.
Col. Samuel Franklin Cody in the seat of one of his Biplanes. Note how largely bamboo enters into the construction of the machine.
NEXT OF KIN: The modified Short "Scion" which has just been delivered to Southend Flying Services, Ltd. Changes in the shape of the nose, in which a landing light is fitted, and the fact that the engine nacelles are now in the centre line of the wing section account for the improved performance.
A Short pusher biplane (50 h.p. Gnome engine). The tiny front elevator, linked up to the rear elevator, was probably not very effective, but it was useful to the pilot for judging the attitude of his machine.
FLAPS DOWN: The K.L.M. F.36, which, with the A.B. Aerotransport F.22, was on demonstration at Croydon last Monday, coming in to land. The flap area and the chief pilot's view are noticeable features.
IN THE F.22: The disposition of the pilots' seats in the Fokker F.22 is interesting in that the commander is provided with a perfect view on each side, while the first officer has a view which is little worse than that provided for each pilot in the conventional layout.
The civil side: A number of factories were opened to the public, and this is a scene in the General Aircraft Company's works at Hanworth, with interested visitors examining a Monospar S.T.12 destined for the Heston - Croydon "ferry" service.
The G.A.L. "S.T.18" Two 400 h.p. "Wasp Juniors"
LOOKING BACK: A typical Saturday afternoon scene at Hendon in 1914. Pierre Verrier is seen trying to touch with his wing tip the tin discs on top of No. 1 pylon. Another attempt succeeded. Standing on the ground is a Grahame-White "box kite"; Note the drooping ailerons.
The once-famous Grahame White "Charabancs," designed by Mr. North. Although fitted with a Green engine of 100 h.p. only, it once flew from Hendon to Brooklands with 11 people on board.
The Handley Page monoplane (50 h.p. Gnome) which was automatically stable.
IT COULDN'T BEAT THE "DRONE.'' Rain and generally dirty weather failed to prevent Mr. Kronfeld reaching Paris in the "Drone." Here the tiny machine is seen just prior to starting from Croydon.
A section of the long line of machines on exhibition. In the foreground is the B.A.C. "Drone," then a Spartan "Cruiser," a Railway Air Services D.H.86, the K.L.M. Douglas D.C.2, and others.
Units of the Marine Craft section, Calshot, go out to bring ashore the personnel of "Southamptons."
ON A CRUISE: The tourist who wanders in May round the coasts of Great Britain, and particularly of Scotland, seldom fails to sight the four "Southampton" flying boats of No. 201 (F.B.) Squadron, sometimes at Oban, sometimes at Stranraer, and sometimes in the Firth of Forth. No. 201 F.B.S. is the only unit in Home waters which possesses four flying boats. The "Southamptons" will soon be replaced, possibly by the Saro A.27 "London."
Although the passenger in this view is actually wearing goggles the screens of the new "Swallow" permit comfortable flying without them. Fit. Lt. J. B. Wilson, the makers' chief test pilot, is piloting the machine.
The B.A. "Swallow"
In its new form the "Swallow" has attractive, if relatively austere, lines, while retaining the distinctive appearance of the type.
Straight lines lend an air of distinction to this new two-seater B.A. "Swallow," which, as described below, has a remarkable speed range.
Not a new type of Autogiro, but an amusing juxtaposition with the new B.A. "Swallow"; incidentally, the "Swallow" displayed almost Autogiro-like slow-flying capabilities.
Since the inner walls of the new "Swallow" cockpits are ply-covered the interior is particularly tidy. The neat grouping of the instruments, including the compass, is noteworthy.
The major modification to the undercarriage, by which the radius arms are now attached to the moving portion of the leg, is clearly shown in this sketch.
The Sopwith "Bat Boat" exhibited at Olympia in 1914 was one of the earliest British flying boats. The engine was a 200 h.p. Salmson Canton-Unne 14-cyl. water-cooled radial.
A section of the long line of machines on exhibition. In the foreground is the B.A.C. "Drone," then a Spartan "Cruiser," a Railway Air Services D.H.86, the K.L.M. Douglas D.C.2, and others.
The Prince of Wales' first machine - a "Gipsy Moth" which he acquired in October, 1929.
EMPIRE AIR DAY, celebrated last Saturday at ninety-odd aerodromes throughout the country, was an unqualified success that must have surprised even the sponsors, the Air League of the British Empire. This scene, typical of many, was at Hendon, and gives an idea of the intense public interest. The machine in the foreground is a "Moth" of No. 24 (Communications) Squadron.
Supermarine "Scapas" are already in service in the Mediterranean. The engines are moderately supercharged "Kestrels" of 525 h.p.
REFUELLING: An impressive picture of the two largest types in European passenger service - the Handley-Page "Heracles" and the Short "Scylla' - on the tarmac at Croydon.
THE MOUNT OF THE CHAMPION. Delmotte's Caudron for the forthcoming Coupe Deutsch contest (May 19) is similar to that in which he secured the world's landplane speed record early this year with 314 m.p.h. The most noticeable alteration is the retractable undercarriage.
STABLED: The Caudrons entered Tor the Coupe Deutsch Race flown last Sunday, being groomed in their hangar.
CUP-CONFIDENT? M. Delmotte, seated in the Caudron C.460 which he is to fly in the Coupe Deutsch, makes certain that there are no obstructions at the forward end of his throttle quadrant.
THE WESTLAND DAY AND NIGHT FIGHTER: The Rolls-Royce "Goshawk" engine is placed centrally and drives the airscrew through a shaft.
A Martlesham pilot prepares to take up the Handley Page "G.P." for full-load trials.
A Martlesham pilot gets ready for a 20,000-foot full-load climb in the new Handley Page general-purpose monoplane. Note the aneroid strapped to his knee. Martlesham Heath, like two score other Royal Air Force stations, will be open to public inspection on Saturday.
VISION OF THE NOT-SO-DISTANT FUTURE? In Flight of March 21 there appeared an artist's impression, drawn from the inventor's plans, of the Asboth helicopter. Here is another sketch, made from revised designs. The engine-driven rotors for vertical lift revolve in opposite directions, thus cancelling out torque reaction. The original experimental machine has many hours of efficient flying to its credit.
Puzzle - find the power unit. No one would suspect that an auxiliary engine is tucked away within the fuselage of the Carden-Baynes sailplane.
Sir John Carden was kept busy demonstrating the operation of the retractable two-stroke engine of the Carden-Baynes sailplane.
The Carden-Villiers auxiliary unit in the Carden-Baynes sailplane. When the unit is retracted (right), the lid over the opening in the deck is automatically closed, and the lines are as smooth and clean as those of any pure sailplane.
The Carden engine mounting. On the left may be seen the details, while the right-hand view shows the engine in an intermediate position. The cowling has been removed to show the mounting structure.
From Reading on the wings of the wind - Mr. Collins alights in the "Rhonadler."
Heavily tapered wings feature in the design of this handy-looking Douglas XFD-1 two-seater Navy fighter. The engine is a 700 h.p. "Twin Wasp Junior."